Front brake splitter location/positioning

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pat_986

Front brake splitter location/positioning

Post by pat_986 »

Hi, does anyone have a photo of the correct front brake splitter positioning?
Mines been messed with and I want to return to stick if I can.
Thanks
Pat

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pat_986

Re: Front brake splitter location/positioning

Post by pat_986 »

Here is what I have. The master cylinder hose to the bottom.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

That's bad! The fact that it is mounted to a static bracket when both the top and bottom hoses have to rotate with the bars is bad practice!

Mine runs double hoses from the master, so I removed the splitter a long time ago. but if I remember, it should mount on the bottom yoke, so it rotates with the bars.
AMcQ
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

Thanks. I'll check the bottom yoke for a suitable place

mjvw

Post by mjvw »

I too run the double from the master cylinder think its called race set up, its a nice simple solution.
Storming About :thumbup:
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

I too run the double from the master cylinder think its called race setup, its a nice simple solution.
Below f2 standard setup.
Storming About :thumbup:
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

That's very helpful, cheers

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Pat ... so looking at the picture from MJVW, you don't have the standard VTR splitter. but you should be ablate move it to mount onto the threaded boss on the bottom yoke and try and sort the hose routing to work
AMcQ
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

Cheers, but as it happens, one of the 2 existing lines is weeping from its end, so I'm going to order a new set and convert to the 2 line 'race' set up anyway.

Annoying that I didn't spot this weep before as I've just rebuilt the master cylinder thinking that was the reason I couldn't get a firm lever even after rebuilding the calipers!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:14 pm That's bad! The fact that it is mounted to a static bracket when both the top and bottom hoses have to rotate with the bars is bad practice!

Mine runs double hoses from the master, so I removed the splitter a long time ago. but if I remember, it should mount on the bottom yoke, so it rotates with the bars.
Well spotted Al :thumbup:

I noticed the hose from the master cylinder looks like an OEM rubber hose (may not be from a Firestorm) which kind of defeats the idea of having stainless steel braided brake hoses for the other two :crazy:

Chris.
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

Yes, the bike had various oddities that I'm slowly rectifying!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

pat_986 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:57 pm Yes, the bike had various oddities that I'm slowly rectifying!
:lol: :clap:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

pat_986 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:06 pm Cheers, but as it happens, one of the 2 existing lines is weeping from its end, so I'm going to order a new set and convert to the 2 line 'race' set up anyway.

Annoying that I didn't spot this weep before as I've just rebuilt the master cylinder thinking that was the reason I couldn't get a firm lever even after rebuilding the calipers!
turns out that was a lucky find :thumbup: :thumbup: you really dont want a line letting go :eek2 dont ask how i know lol :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:33 pm
pat_986 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:06 pm Cheers, but as it happens, one of the 2 existing lines is weeping from its end, so I'm going to order a new set and convert to the 2 line 'race' set up anyway.

turns out that was a lucky find :thumbup: :thumbup: you really dont want a line letting go :eek2 dont ask how i know lol :lol: :lol:
So how do you know Rob ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:36 am
fabiostar wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:33 pm

So how do you know Rob ?
He was on one of the bloke's on the NI run a few years back, how do you know him?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.