Oil filter - which is the right one?!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Def@st

Oil filter - which is the right one?!

Post by Def@st »

Hi guys,

i'm a bit confused about which is the right oil filter for my 2001 VTR.

Looking at the original Honda spare parts, making a research from my VIN it seems that the standard one cod. 15410-MM9-013 is no more available and it's been replaced by the cod. 15410-MCJ-505.

I searched them on internet and using Hiflo Filtro corresponding models as reference i noticed that the 15410-MM9-013 is 73mm long and the 15410-MCJ-505 is 64mm and is supposed to be used on the later model from 2003.

Can you help me?!

At the moment the bike is using a Hiflo HF204 that is supposed to be used on later model. (Hiflo suggest the HF303 for my'01)

Am i risking to damage something?!
In that case i will change it as soon as possible.

Thanks
8541Hawk

Re: Oil filter - which is the right one?!

Post by 8541Hawk »

The only major difference between the two is one fits inside the stock chin fairing and the other doesn't.
Also the longer one holds a bit more oil.
So no it will not damage anything running either filter.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Def@st wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:11 pm Hi guys,

i'm a bit confused about which is the right oil filter for my 2001 VTR.

Looking at the original Honda spare parts, making a research from my VIN it seems that the standard one cod. 15410-MM9-013 is no more available and it's been replaced by the cod. 15410-MCJ-505.

I searched them on internet and using Hiflo Filtro corresponding models as reference i noticed that the 15410-MM9-013 is 73mm long and the 15410-MCJ-505 is 64mm and is supposed to be used on the later model from 2003.

Can you help me?!

At the moment the bike is using a Hiflo HF204 that is supposed to be used on later model. (Hiflo suggest the HF303 for my'01)

Am i risking to damage something?!
In that case i will change it as soon as possible.

Thanks
I remember querying that very same question at my local bike shop some years ago, when I was given a shorter filter than the normal Honda OEM oil filter that I had been using for years. They said the older style (longer filter) had been superseded by the shorter one. So that is what I have been using ever since,

Chris.

PS. Back again. Fowlers even say it's been superseded (click or tap pic below to enlarge):
Fowlers part number ref. oil filter.jpg
Def@st

Post by Def@st »

Thanks a lot!

I was worried that the smaller filter could cause some damage.

So, for the next oil change i will just pick up the cheaper one!

Thanks again