Steering damper

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
DJWALKER

Steering damper

Post by DJWALKER »

Hi gents does anyone have a damper fitted ? Could anyone show a pic of it fitted ? Many thanks.
popkat

Re: Steering damper

Post by popkat »

Can't find a pic but they go on right hand side from fork leg to frame via a bracket, they don't generally need a damper though, I've only used one on a bike I raced and that was only due to the tyre profiles back then and the ride height set up I had. On the road I've never felt a need through 3 firestorms. I did try one on the road and found low speed steering was made heavy and the bike sort of wandered.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
DJWALKER

Post by DJWALKER »

Thanks mate, its very twitchy under heavy acceleration particularly if crossing the centre line. I've shed at least 20kg of it and the motor puts our 122 at the wheel so its a wee bit modded in comparison to standard.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

DJWALKER wrote:Thanks mate, its very twitchy under heavy acceleration particularly if crossing the centre line. I've shed at least 20kg of it and the motor puts our 122 at the wheel so its a wee bit modded in comparison to standard.
What suspension setup have you got. I had a damper on my track bike but only to ease tank slappers when the front lifted on the power and I dropped the nose with my cack-handed throttle control. I later found out my shock was too long so with the forks dropped it was too nose-heavy.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

i did have one but cant post picture. Across the top of the yoke. ohlins
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have used a sprint damper fitted down the right hand side of the frame, it didn't realy need it but I had one left over so fitted it and ran it on a lowish setting

have taken it off for this year as it was effecting the low speed straight line stability, when I got it off you can feel that it is no longer linear along the stroke and it will either go for a service or end up in the scrap bucket
AMcQ