handlebar risers

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
zakisbak

handlebar risers

Post by zakisbak »

I don't feel up to,mechanically or financially,fitting the full Renthals so .......

Thinking of fitting these
https://moto-cnc.com/honda-bar-risers-firestorm-vtr1000
They need forks to be 41mm;my vtr is 2001/2;would they be 41mm or how can I find out?

There's a vfr750 handlebar swap;would these fit my forks and could they be combined with the risers?

I've previously had mechanics bend bar with a scaffold pole;could the present standard bars be bent slightly upwards!? :D

Has anyone fitted these or similar?
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/356552

My clutch wrist is killing me unfortunately.
Maybe slightly lower footpegs/slightly higher bars would help.
fabiostar

Re: handlebar risers

Post by fabiostar »

here is the easy way.. get a set of VFR 750 bars (check its the 41mm model,later bikes had 43) job done, totally transforms the riding postion.

option 2. again check they are 41mm, they may have changed in later years, fit Suzuki SV 650 bars.. not just as high as the VFR bars but a good halfway house between them and storm bars :thumbup:

option 3. later facelift storm bars, they are generally black instead of earlier silver, they arnt a lot higher but sweep down less.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just to confirm, Firestorm standard forks are 41mm in diameter for all years.

Another option for you to think about :wink:

I have not tried this myself, but I have seen on here standard Storm handlebars turned upside down, it would definitely give you an upturned angle, take a look:
Upside down VTR bars.jpg
Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

zakisbak wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:20 pm I don't feel up to,mechanically or financially,fitting the full Renthals so .......

They need forks to be 41mm;my vtr is 2001/2;would they be 41mm or how can I find out? Had this type once, waste of time IMO made very little difference. Might raise the bars a tad it wont change the angle.

There's a vfr750 handlebar swap;would these fit my forks and could they be combined with the risers? Yes but as above.

I've previously had mechanics bend bar with a scaffold pole;could the present standard bars be bent slightly upwards!? :D Bit risky IMO unlikly to get an even bend side to side unless done in a jig. = more £'s.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/356552 Yes Marty BSM did IIRC

Maybe slightly lower footpegs/slightly higher bars would help. First thing I would do is play with the angle of the lever, 2 bolts on the clamp, loosen & drop the lever down a bit , might make it more comfy. best bit as long as you have the spanner for the bolts 8mm, it's free :thumbup: Also take the lever off & make sure all the pivots are clean & moving freely. Clean off all the old grease & apply a light smear of fresh grease to ease the action.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

Fantastic replies,plenty of new ideas for me to try.

Also have bought wrist support bandages and am using the tennis ball wrist exercize thing too.

But maybe I've been looking at the problem all wrong.
Maybe the bars aren't low enough......
Maybe I need to fit the vfr bars,but upside down....... :biggrin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Work on a beer belly. It rests on the tank and takes all the weight off your wrists.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

zakisbak wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:20 am Fantastic replies,plenty of new ideas for me to try.

Also have bought wrist support bandages and am using the tennis ball wrist exercize thing too.

But maybe I've been looking at the problem all wrong.
Maybe the bars aren't low enough......
Maybe I need to fit the vfr bars,but upside down....... :biggrin
Sore wrist ?

Try a compleatly knakered one then get back to me...
FIX 2.jpg
Attachments
RT WRIST 2.jpg
FIX 2.jpg
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

Well ........

Tried lowering the levers but the clutch lever was sticking/dragging for some reason and the brake lever soon followed suit.

Turns out my bars and levers are FUBAR:bars possibly from a CBR600 (very narrow),and each lever is different.
There is absolutely no play in the clutch lever at all and way harder to pull it than should be.(The clutch fluid reservoir is overfilled but I can't see that removing any free play?)

So am looking at VFR bars and new levers ........
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

Re the beer belly,unfortunately I am on a diet at the moment,but maybe I could strap a duvet round my waist or just bungee a cushion onto the tank?!

That's a nasty looking injury Mac but the scar will be worth it!
Did you quote me for doing MCCTs?
Someone did.
I also need the ignition barrel replacing as the steering lock no work and the barrel feels like it is on its last legs.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

zakisbak wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:20 pm I don't feel up to,mechanically or financially,fitting the full Renthals so .......

They need forks to be 41mm;my vtr is 2001/2;would they be 41mm or how can I find out?

There's a vfr750 handlebar swap;would these fit my forks and could they be combined with the risers?

I've previously had mechanics bend bar with a scaffold pole;could the present standard bars be bent slightly upwards!? :D

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/356552

Maybe slightly lower footpegs/slightly higher bars would help.
I fitted the moto-cnc.com risers to my 2002 storm love them, fitted no hassle no more wrist ache :thumbup: :thumbup:
Storming About :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

zakisbak wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:46 pm
I also need the ignition barrel replacing as the steering lock no work and the barrel feels like it is on its last legs.
Someone tried to steal it?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

zakisbak wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:46 pm Re the beer belly,unfortunately I am on a diet at the moment,but maybe I could strap a duvet round my waist or just bungee a cushion onto the tank?!

Someone did.
Nope wasn't me but if you can get to me I could help you do them & the Ignition barrel. Get the parts & come on down...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Drop it into the workshop day, we'll get it sorted on the day.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

zakisbak wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:46 pm Re the beer belly,unfortunately I am on a diet at the moment,but maybe I could strap a duvet round my waist or just bungee a cushion onto the tank?!

Someone did.
viewtopic.php?p=497034#p497034

viewtopic.php?p=496985#p496985
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

cheers for all replys!

don't think it's the result of scumbaggery,but who knows?
Why does my bike have non matching footpegs?why are the indicators attached by coathangers?why are the levers longer than the (apparently) cbr600 bars?but it seems to be a great condition overall bike......

cheers mac,very nice of you