Carb Insulators Rubbers

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
mjvw

Carb Insulators Rubbers

Post by mjvw »

Carb insulators rubbers has anyone removed the rubber peg that engages with the band insulator (jubilee clip)?
Seem to me if the plug is removed the clips could be placed in a better position for access, no need to use the silly access hole etc. I have some nice SS clips I would like to use to fit the insulators so another reason to remove the peg.
Storming About :thumbup:
tony.mon

Re: Carb Insulators Rubbers

Post by tony.mon »

What's difficult about accessing them as standard?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:53 pm What's difficult about accessing them as standard?
I can't say I find them that difficult to access either, just a little different to normal :wink:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

while your that far into the bike, take the return throttle cable of and bin it, gives you a lighter throttle pull :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Found the front carb access top clip a bit of chew through the ugly access whole [yes, a longer tool/screwdriver would help] :D The new stainless carb insulator clips purchase don’t have the location holes :( Guess I can drill a location hole.

How many peeps are running with the return throttle cable removed?

Also, good tip for softening the insulator or just replace with pattern part.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mjvw wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:20 am Found the front carb access top clip a bit of chew through the ugly access whole [yes, a longer tool/screwdriver would help] :D The new stainless carb insulator clips purchase don’t have the location holes :( Guess I can drill a location hole.

A/ Buy some 300mm screwdrivers... Idealy JIS ones but I cant find UK sellers on ebay just US & Japan But I use something like these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164463459183 ... Sw399csFLa

B/ I run with out the return cable... It's a H&S thing to close the trottle but the spring in the carb is plenty strong enough & in a real emergancy if your throtle is stuck then the return cable isn't doing its job...Hit the kill switch...

C/ Wintergreen oil is suposed to soften up rubbers but apparently it is a bit wiffy, try silcone spray. Srary from the can to fill a container & soak them in it...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I also run a fast action throttle tube without the return cable
AMcQ
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Great advice guys going to get longer tool, ditch the cable can always refit if not happy.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mjvw wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:20 am Found the front carb access top clip a bit of chew through the ugly access whole [yes, a longer tool/screwdriver would help] :D The new stainless carb insulator clips purchase don’t have the location holes :( Guess I can drill a location hole.

Yes a long tool/screwdriver is required for the front clip you're right :)

I assume you are talking about the hardening of the carb inlet manifold joining rubber connectors due to their age. If you only want to make it easier for re-fitting the carbs (as in temporarily softening them) applying some heat from a hairdryer will do that. You can apply that as they sit on the cylinder head inlet manifolds. At this time of the year the cold makes them less flexible,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

To access the front clamp through the hole in the heatshield I found a screwdriver of the right length so that the head just slips inside the rh side fairing when seated in the clamp screw.

You can leave it in place until it's time to retighten the clamp.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.