Is my new exhaust too small for the storm?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
shammi

Is my new exhaust too small for the storm?

Post by shammi »

Hi, my firestorm has been converted to a 2-to-1 exhaust by the previous owner and it looks like he has done it by cutting off one of the pipes and welding it back. The welds job looks alright but the exhaust can that was on it was from a '98 GSXR-600 which sounds like a rattle can. I went looking for a new one here and what I was able to get was an OEM Triumph triumph 2200806 e2 exhaust. Search results show that this is what came standard on the Triumph TT600. I put it on the bike and now it sounds much better however I'm in doubt if running a 600cc bike exhaust on a 1000cc bike which came with 2 exhausts as standard is a bad thing or not. What are your thoughts on this?
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Is my new exhaust too small for the storm?

Post by sirch345 »

Very few owners have got a 2 into 1 exhaust to work as well as the standard set-up of twin silencers (end can's) on the Firestorm/Superhawk. As for your OEM Triumph end can, I would expect it will be restricting the engine from working as well as it should, seeing as it meant for a bike of 400cc's less. The best thing to do is try it out and see how the bike goes. If it has a removeable baffle :?: removing that may help,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

unless somebody can show you dyno proof, or its a proper yamamoto 2 into 1 system :eek2 .
heres the cure.

remove downpipes from the bike.
throw said downpipes FAR away :D .
replace with second hand decent downpies, link pipes and twin cans.. problem sorted,

the vtr was designed to allow each 500cc piston to breath through its own can, to squeeze all those gases through half the amount of exhaust just never works. many have tried but iv yet to see in black and white any that got good results im afraid. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:07 pm
the vtr was designed to allow each 500cc piston to breath through its own can, to squeeze all those gases through half the amount of exhaust just never works. many have tried but iv yet to see in black and white any that got good results im afraid. :thumbup:
But the standard system is a 2:1:2, so the gas flowing from either cylinder always goes to both. That is why you can't put a gas analyser sniffer down one or the other can and decide which carb to adjust.

I agree that a single can will not give rise to an increase in power, but I'm not convinced that it will lose much.
The most likely scenario is the you will lose top end horsepower but gain a little midrange torque, due to the increase in back pressure.

I blanked off the lh can when I damaged one side, and ran with a single can, tbh it didn't make a noticeable difference- but it was winter (I dropped it on ice) so I wasn't spending much time at full throttle.

Also, my old carbon can co cans had very little by way of baffle material, so didn't offer much resistance to the full amount of exhaust gas
I noticed the change in noise more than a power difference. Seemed like I'd gone deaf in one ear...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.