Is this a timing related issue, TPS related or any other?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
shammi

Is this a timing related issue, TPS related or any other?

Post by shammi »

Hello, I am Shammi from Sri Lanka. This is my first post here. I have recently purchased my first liter bike, a 2005 VTR Firestorm. It does have running issues and when we did the inspection at the previous owners place, he claimed the poor running was a result of a weak battery. He jump started it and drove the bike around and it ran well so we bought it. We brought it home, got a temporary 12V 9Ah battery from my other bike and jump started the VTR and we are hearing a knocking noise which we are not sure if it is a result of a bad TPS sensor causing an over advance retard situation or a timing related issue. The bike doesn't want to idle and eventually conks out. If we hold the throttle slightly to keep it running, after a few minutes when the bike heats up the knocking noise is gone and idles well and sounds pretty healthy.

Another thing to note is we took the air box off to see what its like and also started the bike and there were a few back fires from both the carbs too. Don't know if that's normal so putting it out here.

We are not sure what's wrong with the bike, I have recorded the bike when its causing the issue and uploaded here on YouTube:

Please excuse the poor video quality and for recording it in portrait (which I didn't notice). Recorded it with the only device I have. You should be able to hear the knocking sound by headphones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
alanfjones1411

Re: Is this a timing related issue, TPS related or any other?

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The backfire through the carbs is whats known over here as carb farts,and are perfectly normal.Some body with more knowledge than me will be able to tell you more.Welcome to the forum anyway.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Hello and welcome does the engine sound the same with the clutch pulled in?, as said carb farts are normal but can be reduced by tps ajustment and carb balancing.
Some really switched on forum members who will be able to help, Has the frame been powder coated or is that STD for model in your neck of the woods.
Storming About :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Are you using the choke to start it from cold?
As said, the carb blowbacks are normal.
You can reduce how often they happen by adjusting the TPS and increasing tickover to 1200.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's not always easy to pin point a problem from a video as a recording picks up most engine noises. However to me it almost sounds as if the tick-over is really low making the engine struggle to keep running? Being a big V twin engine it is more of a lumpy beast than an inline four cylinder engine. Make sure the engine oil is not low, and may benefit from new oil and filter.

Welcome aboard Shammi :thumbup:

Chris.
shammi

Post by shammi »

Thanks for the replies everyone :wave:
We checked the timing of the bike using this helpful guide found in the forum here: http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28583
and it had no issues in our bike. The chain tension was also excellent.

The knocking sounds (coming from the rear cylinder as we hear it) is still present however in cold starts. Notably the very first start of the day for like a minute and goes away.
alanfjones1411 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:36 am The backfire through the carbs is whats known over here as carb farts,and are perfectly normal.Some body with more knowledge than me will be able to tell you more.Welcome to the forum anyway.
mjvw wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:49 am Hello and welcome does the engine sound the same with the clutch pulled in?, as said carb farts are normal but can be reduced by tps ajustment and carb balancing.
Some really switched on forum members who will be able to help, Has the frame been powder coated or is that STD for model in your neck of the woods.
I haven't tried pulling the clutch in at the time of issue.
The bike has been painted by one of the previous owners. The frame used to be silver.
tony.mon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:16 am Are you using the choke to start it from cold?
You can reduce how often they happen by adjusting the TPS and increasing tickover to 1200.
Yes the choke was pulled in at cold start. Im also thinking its a TPS issue now. By tickover do you mean the idle speed rpm?
sirch345 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:45 am It's not always easy to pin point a problem from a video as a recording picks up most engine noises. However to me it almost sounds as if the tick-over is really low making the engine struggle to keep running? Being a big V twin engine it is more of a lumpy beast than an inline four cylinder engine. Make sure the engine oil is not low, and may benefit from new oil and filter.

Chris.
Yea an oil change and new filter change is on its way.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if you havent already done it, wind the idle up to 1200, they sound like a bag of nails if they are lower.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

shammi wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:06 pm Thanks for the replies everyone :wave:
We checked the timing of the bike using this helpful guide found in the forum here: http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28583
and it had no issues in our bike. The chain tension was also excellent.

The knocking sounds (coming from the rear cylinder as we hear it) is still present however in cold starts. Notably the very first start of the day for like a minute and goes away.
alanfjones1411 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:36 am The backfire through the carbs is whats known over here as carb farts,and are perfectly normal.Some body with more knowledge than me will be able to tell you more.Welcome to the forum anyway.
mjvw wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:49 am Hello and welcome does the engine sound the same with the clutch pulled in?, as said carb farts are normal but can be reduced by tps ajustment and carb balancing.
I haven't tried pulling the clutch in at the time of issue.
The bike has been painted by one of the previous owners. The frame used to be silver.
tony.mon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:16 am Are you using the choke to start it from cold?
Yes the choke was pulled in at cold start. Im also thinking its a TPS issue now. By tickover do you mean the idle speed rpm?
sirch345 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:45 am It's not always easy to pin point a problem from a video as a recording picks up most engine noises. However to me it almost sounds as if the tick-over is really low making the engine struggle to keep running? Being a big V twin engine it is more of a lumpy beast than an inline four cylinder engine. Make sure the engine oil is not low, and may benefit from new oil and filter.

Chris.
Yea an oil change and new filter change is on its way.
Yes, idle speed is the same thing as tick-over speed. As Tony and Rob suggest try setting it to 1200rpm's,

Chris.