Mini Lathe/milling

General Biker Banter
neil

Mini Lathe/milling

Post by neil »

Many years ago I served my time as centre lathe turner. I always thought a lathe would be handy for use in the garage. Seen the mini lathes on internet and decided to buy. Ordered this one which has a milling motor which attaches to cross slide when needed. It is very small but can do 7" dia X 14" length. As I expected lathe needed stripping down and reassembing to correct some of the faults but nothing too difficult. Still some mods to do on it but it's ready to use just need the cutting tools to get delivered now. Anyone else have one?
Attachments
Screenshot_20211220-114055_Chrome.jpg
20211221_160554.jpg
redvtr
MK_WF

Re: Mini Lathe/milling

Post by MK_WF »

I have a 12 inch version but without the milling option.
Useful for wheel spacers and other minor stuff, but if you want some "serious" work, you'd need a device a few sizes bigger.
I'm talking about doing threads, bigger diameters in steel or everything that requires less than 5/100 tolerances.

Toolwise there's plenty of stuff on aliexpress
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNDyRNE
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msHSm1q

If you prefer stuff shopped from Europe, this is a good address for machining tools: https://www.paulimot.de/
Bye
Martin
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

neil wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:11 pm Many years ago I served my time as centre lathe turner. I always thought a lathe would be handy for use in the garage. Seen the mini lathes on internet and decided to buy. Ordered this one which has a milling motor which attaches to cross slide when needed. It is very small but can do 7" dia X 14" length. As I expected lathe needed stripping down and reassembing to correct some of the faults but nothing too difficult. Still some mods to do on it but it's ready to use just need the cutting tools to get delivered now. Anyone else have one?
8) :thumbup:
There have been times when I wished I had, had a metal working lathe in my garage/workshop, nice one,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I wish I had room!
A bit bigger lathe with a metric thread cutting option would be nice, but then so would a stand alone vertical mill, with an indexing table, a table grinder, and a decent TIG welder.

Oh, and a chop saw, a Dyno, a spray booth and a few other bits and bobs.

Well, it's Christmas soon, let's see what comes through the letterbox.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
neil

Post by neil »

Having enough room is a problem for me as well, too many bikes. Tony even a little lathe like this one can cut threads. It is geared to cut metric and imperial. As for its accuracy I've now set all the slides so there's no play in them I think it should be OK now. Had to do a bit of filing and took my time getting the slides as close as I could.
redvtr