My New machine

General Bike chat
Geoff

My New machine

Post by Geoff »

Hello guys, I have just joined this group after taking delivery of my Honda VTR Firestorm. Must say it looks a great bike and I cant wait to get out on the open road. I am relatively new to biking having only passed my test a year ago (previous bike was a Suzuki SV 650S, another V twin). So I assume it will be a long time before I outgrow this 'beasty machine'! Its a 2000 model on a W plate. Could anyone asvise me if this will have the new modifications from the previous models, eg. Larger Tank, uprated suspension etc. If not, doesnt matter I am just curious. Intend to commute from Surrey London up to my home in Teeside once a week so hope this bike will suffice!

Take care guys and ride safe.
Geoff
Who else but the self, can be master of the self. With self well controlled another master is hard to find!
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Welcome Geoff

You've made a good choice there, as for comuting back to teeside you will get to know the people at petrol stations on the A1 very quickly!!

As for fitting the larger tank, I believe for whats involved and the extra milage gained, it is'nt worth it ( anyone please feel free to contradict me on that)

Give Revolution racing a ring, they are the boys for suspension, if you do a search on here you will find the number.

and finally.. get yourself some loud cans you'll love it!!

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for the reply....the A1 oh how I remember that well!
Thanks again
Who else but the self, can be master of the self. With self well controlled another master is hard to find!
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi there, I'm from Stockton but work in London during the week. Just took the machine out for my first ride last night and I must say....what a bike...!

Don't know if you could help me but I have two minor concerns with the bike:

1. There is a rumbling sound when the bike is in Neutral, however this dissapears when I pull the clutch in. Is this something to be worried about or is it simply the clutch bearings rattling? Is this normal?

2. The trip meter keeps resetting itself when I switch the ignition off! Don't know how many miles I am doing between tanks without recording the mileage on the odometer first.....

Minor I know, but just wondering if you guys have the same problems.

Thanks for your help and hope you are all well.

Bye for now
Geoff
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Hi Geoff! Great to have another face... ummm... name on the forum.

Pretty sure you should have the larger tank (by a whole 2 litres...). My storm's a 99 with the smaller tank, but my ex had a 2000 & it had the bigger one. Trying to think of some joke at ex's expense about him needing the larger one, but been on night duty & having trouble functioning at the mo'... Besides, being a stormer, he may well be lurking around here somewhere... :?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Morning Geoff, welcome aboard.
Geoff wrote:1. There is a rumbling sound when the bike is in Neutral, however this dissapears when I pull the clutch in. Is this something to be worried about or is it simply the clutch bearings rattling? Is this normal?

2. The trip meter keeps resetting itself when I switch the ignition off! Don't know how many miles I am doing between tanks without recording the mileage on the odometer first.....
1. Yes, pretty normal. Get some loud exhausts then you can enjoy the "rumble" all the time. :wink:
2. Johnny Wishbone, i think, had the same problem not so long ago. He should be along soon with some words of wisdom.

If your storm has the old style, round faced dials then it's the 16l tank. If you have the new, fancy part digital dials that you can hardy read then it's the 19l tank. Thats the easiest way to tell.
Rich.

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for your help guys, much appreicated....
droid

Post by droid »

Mine has a sort of 'tinkly'sound that goes when the clutch is pulled in - no worries-clutch rattle
The electrics on my old-style 'storm don't like a combination of high speeds (90+) and torrential rain. ( Come to think of it - neither do I!)
I assume with the first point that you are concerned with CCT failure. As someone else pointed out somewhere else - you won't mistake it for owt else!!! I had one go on a CX 500 (ask your Dad). Sounded like shaking a tin bucket full os spanners.

Honda's corporate blind spot methinks

Droid
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

Geoff, welcome to the world of owning a storm. Have to get yourself some better cans and get that V-twin rumble going, it'll bring an even bigger smile to your face. :D
You'll get very good at squeezing as much fuel in to the tank as possible, takes a while but you can cram that tank pretty full. :D I believe you can fit the new tank to the older model if you're that keen.

Have a massive time playing with your storm, you'll love it. :D

Nathan..
My other job is navigator on an Intergalactic
Spice Freighter

Red (of course) 99 storm. Vance & Hines SS2 cans, Dynajet kit and K&N filter.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Alienist wrote:Have to get yourself some better cans and get that V-twin rumble going, it'll bring an even bigger smile to your face. :D
Oh Nathan, that was wayyyyyyy too easy... I've got some nice cans that'll get your v-twin rumbling & guarantee to bring a big smile to your face :wink: .

I'm sorry, but you have to admit, that was just begging for it. I couldn't resist.
d&s

Post by d&s »

VTRgirl wrote:
Alienist wrote:Have to get yourself some better cans and get that V-twin rumble going, it'll bring an even bigger smile to your face. :D
Oh Nathan, that was wayyyyyyy too easy... I've got some nice cans that'll get your v-twin rumbling & guarantee to bring a big smile to your face :wink: .

I'm sorry, but you have to admit, that was just begging for it. I couldn't resist.
Show us all the cans so we can all smile. 8)
me either
Submariners go down for a living..!!

dark&stormy
(the bike stupid)
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

I'm noticing a lot of talking and no showing there VTRgirl :D :twisted:

The storm does have a habit of attracting nice cans to it though :wink: 8)
Spice Freighter

VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Some of you fellas might be happy to brazenly put up photos of your cans for all & sundry to see, but like I keep trying to tell you, I'm not that kind of girl! 8O Mine are available for private viewings by personal invitation only... :wink:
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

Well I ride around with mine on display all the time :wink: even give them both a polish every now and then. How do you go polishing yours?? :D
Spice Freighter

VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I'm not really good with maintenance & stuff... I normally like to get a guy to do that kind of thing for me... :wink: