Oil leak from front cylinder head

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
stuntmonkey_ad

Oil leak from front cylinder head

Post by stuntmonkey_ad »

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone could tell me what the tiny hole in the front (and rear) cylinder head, pictured,
20211109_083713_1.jpg
is connected to? It is below the exhaust port manifold, where the head meets the cylinder block.

My storm has developed an oil weep from this hole, and I initially guessed it is connected to the spark plug port, so working off of this theory I took off the HT lead for the front plug and examined the rocker cover gasket and there was no sign of oil on either.

Is it just a breather of some kind for the head?

I cleaned the area and checked that it was not the head gasket in that area, which it wasn't. Its definitely the hole :think:

Cheers

Ad
MacV2

Re: Oil leak from front cylinder head

Post by MacV2 »

Drain hole to let water out of the pulg void.

If it's deffinatly oil coming out of there you may have a bigger issue...

Sorry looking at the pic I dont think that is the drain for the plug viod. There is one but I dont think It's there.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
stuntmonkey_ad

Post by stuntmonkey_ad »

Which would be rocker cover seal? Plug seal?

Cheers
Ad
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

stuntmonkey_ad wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:06 pm Which would be rocker cover seal? Plug seal?

Cheers
Ad

The hole in the pic is under the exhaust flange... Yes ?
stuntmonkey_ad

Post by stuntmonkey_ad »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:08 pm
stuntmonkey_ad wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:06 pm Which would be rocker cover seal? Plug seal?

Cheers
Ad

The hole in the pic is under the exhaust flange... Yes ?
Yes that's right,
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Strange...no idea sorry...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:03 pm Drain hole to let water out of the pulg void.

If it's deffinatly oil coming out of there you may have a bigger issue...

Sorry looking at the pic I dont think that is the drain for the plug viod. There is one but I dont think It's there.
Ad, after reading your original post and seeing Mac's reply, I was then unsure about this cylinder head hole in your photo.

So having a close up study of my Storm's front cylinder head, that hole you're enquiring about most certainly looks like the drain hole for the spark plug (as Mac originally thought and yourself) as there is no other open hole there in the cylinder head for that purpose.

Like you I would have thought the rocker cover (cam cover) gasket may have been allowing oil to seep out. After your inspection revealed it's not that, then I'm unsure where it's coming from exactly.

How many miles has your bike done :?:
How quickly does it come back if you wipe if off before a ride :?: it doesn't look like it's pouring out.

May be a CCT failed (front cylinder is more common than the rear) and an aftermarket head gasket was used and now it's not doing it's job as good as it was, only a thought,

Chris.
stuntmonkey_ad

Post by stuntmonkey_ad »

Thanks Chris and Mac,

I am going along the notion that it is the rocker cover gasket, and I just can't see the leak. The whole head is very grimey from road crud, so I plan to have a good clean, investigate further with an inspection camera and hope it is the rocker cover rather than the head gasket. The crud could be a contributing factor to the seals demise perhaps? There is no oil in the water or vice versa.

I have some stick coils to fit, because it is sluggish to start, so am going to give it a strip down and do a few jobs (TPS adjustment included!!) in the coming months (I travel a lot for work and young family so don't get many evenings in the garage).

I'm not planning on using the bike until its sorted, I don't like the idea of oil on my exhaust headers! The leak is very slight, maybe 1mm every 5 days or so. The bike has done 28k and has manual CCT adjusters.

I bought it in summer for less than a grand (why are they so cheap!) so I expected to do some bits to it, its just a shame it won't be ridden for a while because I blummin love it!

I will keep you posted...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

stuntmonkey_ad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:35 am Thanks Chris and Mac,

I am going along the notion that it is the rocker cover gasket, and I just can't see the leak. The whole head is very grimey from road crud, so I plan to have a good clean, investigate further with an inspection camera and hope it is the rocker cover rather than the head gasket. The crud could be a contributing factor to the seals demise perhaps? There is no oil in the water or vice versa.

I have some stick coils to fit, because it is sluggish to start, so am going to give it a strip down and do a few jobs (TPS adjustment included!!) in the coming months (I travel a lot for work and young family so don't get many evenings in the garage).

I'm not planning on using the bike until its sorted, I don't like the idea of oil on my exhaust headers! The leak is very slight, maybe 1mm every 5 days or so. The bike has done 28k and has manual CCT adjusters.

I bought it in summer for less than a grand (why are they so cheap!) so I expected to do some bits to it, its just a shame it won't be ridden for a while because I blummin love it!

I will keep you posted...
You could take the spark plug out and see if the threads are covered in oil. Hopefully it is just the rocker cover seal.
Another thought, could one of the sealing washers under the cover fixingbolts be upside down? therefore not sealing,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If it's sluggish to start it's probably not the coils. Check the starter motor lead connection.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.