Pipe and slippers time?

General Biker Banter
cupasoop
Site Admin

Pipe and slippers time?

Post by cupasoop »

Right folks, has anyone ever taken any training from the IAM? I've discovered theres someone local thats does the bike side of it and I quite fancy taking some advanced training.

Any thoughts?
Rich.

curly

Post by curly »

Hi Cupa,

I've been thinking about it myself lately, anything that helps you ride better can only be good.

Anybody done it?
Be interesting to know what it's like.

Curly.
plivesey

Post by plivesey »

My mate Chris has been with the Thames Vale Advanced Motorcyclists http://www.tvam.org for a little while now and his riding has improved greatly. He dragged me along to one of their meets last weekend and I was taken out with an observer for a bit of a blast.

Really nice bunch of people and they know their stuff. After only 90 minutes riding they've helped me with all the things I'm doing wrong and have given me a lot to think about. Well worth the money. Have joined and am waiting to be assigned an observer to train me up to the required standard for the test.
French import, yellow 97 Firestorm. Written off by a french madman, rebuilt by an english idiot.
kevg

Post by kevg »

do they happen to meet in killie on a thursday night, the meet is run by a guy called jim barr from dalry.
he's a mate of mine, always thought about going but never bothered as yet. will get there eventually.
cheerz

kev
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Kev, it's a killie number the guy has but his name was andy frew or alex frew or something along those lines. He has a wee poster up in the local chinese, i was looking at it last night when i was in getting my dinner (my reward for decorating all weekend). I checked the iam website and the most local person to us listed is in ardrossan, must need updating. Might give him a call out of curiosity.
Rich.

Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

OK, hand in the air looking sheepish time :oops:

I am a fully paid up member and I'm only just turned 30!!

Reasons
1) I've always tried to constantly improve my riding otherwise you slip into a rut and stop improving
2) Previous girlfriend didn't really like me riding 'coz its dangerous'. My short-term reply was "OK, then I'll join the IAM and learn to ride safer" :lol:

Plus points
1) It gets you out in all weathers and your riding improves hugely because of it. Think about it, when was the last time you woke up on a sunday and it was grey/raining (no smart arsed comments from the Auzzies about it never happening!!) and you went back to bed instead of going out on the bike?
2) Really improves things like reading the road etc.
3) Improved observation means you're much more aware of other hazards but because you've seen them early they're not a sudden panic
4) Improves corner speed coz when you can only do 60mph you don't wanna be slowing down for corners :wink:

Negatives
1) The image. Not really fair but there ARE a large number of older people with sensible bikes. However, there are also a number of people who are not
2) Sticking to speed limits!! It can be done but its hard work sometimes

My advice would be to DEFINITELY do it. And stick with it despite your initial misgivings!!
My first observed ride was nearly my last after the observer (anorak on a VFR750) criticised me for a) nodding at other motorcyclists and b) hanging off the bike (it was a ZZR600, there's no other way to get it to corner! And I wasn't knee down hanging off, just shifting bodyweight)

However the observer I got after that was 65 years old on an old Pan European. He was brilliant!! On a set of tight twisties I knew reasonably well he was right on my tail the whole way down (17miles) said my moving about on the bike was fine and I never looked back

Ben
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Stormin Ben wrote:OK, hand in the air looking sheepish time :oops:

I am a fully paid up member and I'm only just turned 30!!

Reasons
1) I've always tried to constantly improve my riding otherwise you slip into a rut and stop improving
2) Previous girlfriend didn't really like me riding 'coz its dangerous'. My short-term reply was "OK, then I'll join the IAM and learn to ride safer" :lol:

Plus points
1) It gets you out in all weathers and your riding improves hugely because of it. Think about it, when was the last time you woke up on a sunday and it was grey/raining (no smart arsed comments from the Auzzies about it never happening!!) and you went back to bed instead of going out on the bike?
2) Really improves things like reading the road etc.
3) Improved observation means you're much more aware of other hazards but because you've seen them early they're not a sudden panic
4) Improves corner speed coz when you can only do 60mph you don't wanna be slowing down for corners :wink:

Negatives
1) The image. Not really fair but there ARE a large number of older people with sensible bikes. However, there are also a number of people who are not
2) Sticking to speed limits!! It can be done but its hard work sometimes

My advice would be to DEFINITELY do it. And stick with it despite your initial misgivings!!
My first observed ride was nearly my last after the observer (anorak on a VFR750) criticised me for a) nodding at other motorcyclists and b) hanging off the bike (it was a ZZR600, there's no other way to get it to corner! And I wasn't knee down hanging off, just shifting bodyweight)

However the observer I got after that was 65 years old on an old Pan European. He was brilliant!! On a set of tight twisties I knew reasonably well he was right on my tail the whole way down (17miles) said my moving about on the bike was fine and I never looked back

Ben
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Here is the group I belopng to http://www.eamg.org.uk/

They have just broken away from the IAM because the IAM didn't like them doing further training for riders that had passed the IAM test and wanted a refresher course.

The IAM test/pass is a pass for life and not graded. The ROSPA test is graded Gold Silver Bronze and you re test every 3 years.

I had been instructing CBT and DAS for over 6 years before I joined and took my test. You can always learn more and improve your riding.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I've been a member for about 5 yrs, 10% off insurance premium.

The main subject of tuition is advance observation and road positioning. THe local group seem to be more interested in runs out, the monthly meetings are not too technical. My only problem is that it has been a while since going to a run or a meeting, speed has never been an issue, if you want to go fast go to back, fast runs are usually advertised as need to make good progress in all weathers. All in all it does teach you to ride better and smoother, also quicker, as you don't miss as many overtakes etc. would recommend it to anyone.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I did it 4 years ago and can't talk too highly of it. OK, the local group have now allowed the IAM to bully them into NEVER going above 60, even on an overtake (I never do more than 60 x 2 on an overtake, well mostly) but the positioning etc is really good stuff. Used to get blown away by a guy on aDeauville round twisty B roads when I started with them! I just had to ask him "shoe me how to do that!" Answer, forget speed, get it smooth and the speed will come.

Bit like the hot and sticky comment from VTR girl on the Bike Chat thread. Keep it slow, feel your way, it'll come eventually, then you can increase your speed, all the time that big V twin thing throbbing away between...................... sorry must have a cold shower. :twisted:
tiggerii

Post by tiggerii »

I'm an associate member of the IAM down in Southampton. I've found them to be a really good bunch of people. Yes there are the inevitable BMWs and Pans but there are a lot of other members with interesting bikes.

My first observed ride was with a guy on a brand new VTR SP2 and then my regular observer is a wonderful lady who rides a T955i which she track days regularly. I've had 4 observed rides with her and feel my riding has benefited enormously and am now getting ready for my test.

I'd say give it a go, my own view is that any learning is valuable and you as an individual can always decide what to employ and what to discard.
2000 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm - SOLD
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050 - from two cylinders to three!
Girlie_Biker

Post by Girlie_Biker »

Like Ben I did an observed ride on my ZZR - was promptly told "I rode like a courier" "did not need to hang off" "was not surprised I'd had accidents, and would not be surprised if I had another"

That kinda put me off the IAM, however the guy I did the ride with did NOT tell me to ride to the letter of the law, but told me to ride like I would normally. I couldn't ride like I did normally as he wouldn't stay with me! I spent the whole time on the back brake just trying to keep him in my wing mirrors and I am NOT fast.

I attended a ladies day at my local IAM, I did go on to the pub where the female observers listened to my tale with sympathy and assured my that I got a bad apple.

I haven't gone back - not least because I did have another accident (100% his fault - his insurance said so!) but I may yet. Coming in ahead of IAM is the ROSPA training, I've heard a lot of good things about the ROSPA tests and training; whilst IAM teaches you to ride slowly to pass the test ROSPA teaches you to survive - at all speeds.

I'd love to hear from more people who've gone down the ROSPA route...

oh... btw I'm new - just got my FS this week :D
ZZ-RAWR!
VTR1000 Firestorm "the Animal"
ZZR600E "the Baby"
GPZ500s "the Brat"
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Girlie_Biker, if you've got a good sense of humour you'll fit in well here. The other girl's on here are going to be made up, another female :!:
Chris.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three cheers for girliebiker :D :D :D
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
kevg

Post by kevg »

Evening/Morning to the new 'un,
just in from the pub and trying to make sense of everything,
but Hello all the same, it's more than i do for most people new or otherwise, and i'm one of the talkative ones....well Kaz haz got 20000 posts by now so maybe she talks a bit more than most, and i was lying about being talkative... :oops:
...but you'll learn who talks and who doesn't, hope to see you at the end of year meet once we decied who's house its at.
cheerz

kev
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Oh my head !!!!!! :P :P :P :P
Mornin all ! Welcome Girlie Biker !!!
Nuff said, gotta go to work !!!!