Dilemma - keep the storm?

General Bike chat
gsh

Dilemma - keep the storm?

Post by gsh »

Had it since new in 2003. Haven't been riding it much the last 5 years. Been standing pretty much unridden for 18 months - just ridden to and from MOT in March.
I was thinking of selling but was also looking at what else is out there as I know I'll eventually end up wanting another bike. I'm 53 now and don't want to wait until I retire to start having fun again and not be able to buy a petrol bike!

Introducing the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled. Love the look and it seems much more suitable for the town and pootling-around-Essex-countryside riding I want to do. It's a V-twin (sorry Ducati, it is) and I love v-twin grunt. I had a 98 VTR that was stolen and immediately replaced it with the 03.
But it's 200cc smaller than the vtr for approximately the same wet weight with all the emissions gubbins gumming up performance so only 73hp/65ish at the wheel.
There are no Desert Sleds available to test ride in the UK at all. Ducati are apparently only sending out/making confirmed orders.
I'd want to buy new - saving only 1k on a 1-2 year old model doesn't make sense to me, but neither does laying out £10k+ on a bike I haven't even sat on, let alone ridden!

I've just taken the vtr out for a shakedown run.
Riding position is uncomfortable for me now - my right hand starts to ache immediately, my belly is on the tank and my legs are cramped. (Sure, some of that can be fixed by losing weight, but let's be realistic).
Bike isn't running great - clamp and gasket for the rhs silencer are rotten so it's blowing a bit (have them and they will be installed on service).
Engine/throttle seems to be hanging at 3-2.5k rpm. Obviously needs looking at - hopefully not a major issue and can be fixed with some carb/cable fettling.
BUT
I still love this bike. Get out of stop and go traffic and it's still a joy to ride. The engine pull from low down is still great allowing effortless overtaking without all that down-shifting malarkey.
If I could put this engine in a rolling chassis like the Desert Sled I'd not even think twice.

It's only done 13.5k miles from new, has it's CoC and is ULEZ compliant and dirt cheap to insure.

So what do I do?
Get it serviced and part/ex on a Desert Sled unridden and perhaps discover the DS engine is underwhelming?
Or do I throw a bit of money at it and have some higher bars installed, maybe lower pegs too to see if that makes the slow speed/town riding more enjoyable? It's probably only worth £1.5k max (after service/tinkering) so unless it's a full-on Scrambler-esque makeover I don't want to spend too much. Plus I'm technically illiterate so would have to farm out the tinkering work to a pro.

Much as I'd like to keep the vtr as a long-term project I don't have space for two bikes (or as stated the ability to do the work myself), so it's an either/or proposition.

Thoughts?
tony.mon

Re: Dilemma - keep the storm?

Post by tony.mon »

Do Ducati use the same engine in other models that you CAN get a test ride on?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Don’t let the hp put you off I had a MT07 which is similar and felt better engine wise to ride than my current 112bhp gsxs but obviously one is a parallel twin the other IL4. As you mention for that money I’d want a test ride too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gsh

Post by gsh »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:39 pm Do Ducati use the same engine in other models that you CAN get a test ride on?
From what I understand the Scrambler range is the only Ducati now that comes with the 803cc air cooled engine.

Also from what I understand the DS is tuned slightly differently to the other models +/or has a different throttle response - apparently there are at least 2 (maybe 3) different throttle cams and the DS has a more progressive throttle response than earlier models.
That said it doesn't seem to hard or expensive to change the throttle tube if that will give a better throttle response on the road. There's also changing the sprocket for more useable acceleration...

TBH I hadn't even considered one of the other models for a test ride. None of the dealers I've contacted have mentioned having other models in stock but it can't hurt to ask.
Thanks.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Not an easy choice to make that you have there.
I wouldn't be keen on buying a bike at 10K+ without test riding one first either.
It's fine if it is what you are looking for, but if not you're going to be well down on 2nd hand value to what you paid for it should you then decide to sell the bike on.

You'd be better off going for a used bike in my view. At least that way you'll be able to try before you buy, and if from a dealer you have some come back if there are faults later on.

Good luck with whichever way you decide,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I've briefly ridden the Scrambler and I'd say it looks better than the ride is, doesn't seem a comfy position, My take is it's style over function. If you like the idea of a Ducati why not look at the latest Monster range, they have a fresh design with new frames, still look the same though. If your looking for upright and character then Triumph street triple 765RS version would be good, not V twin character but the triple has a charm of it own and more power than the others too.. Just idea's for you.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
gsh

Post by gsh »

popkat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:31 pm I've briefly ridden the Scrambler and I'd say it looks better than the ride is, doesn't seem a comfy position, My take is it's style over function. If you like the idea of a Ducati why not look at the latest Monster range, they have a fresh design with new frames, still look the same though. If your looking for upright and character then Triumph street triple 765RS version would be good, not V twin character but the triple has a charm of it own and more power than the others too.. Just idea's for you.

One of the other Scramblers or the Desert Sled? They made some significant changes to the DS to make it more of a capable scrambler than the other models.

Can't say I'm a fan of the modern Monsters, although the 2020 821 at least looks more like the older bikes than the angular new model.
The only Triumph that appeals to me is the Scrambler 1200XE which is nudging 13k and out of budget.
I might see if I can get a test ride on one just for the hell of it though.
gsh

Post by gsh »

I'm back to thinking about keeping the storm and going for a high bar conversion.
Wondering how much trimming the fairings for clearance affects resale value? I guess the bike is probably only worth £1500 tops anyway.
Is it worth getting a set of pattern fairings from AliExpress and keep the stock fairings intact?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001233 ... 0777%22%7D

How much will a conversion cost including paying for fitting and are there any recommendations for someone who can do the conversion for me London/Essex?

Cheers.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Just done one. I had an old set of fairings to trim & it depends on what bars you have & how much of a rise to how much you need to trim.

Bit of trail & error with lever postions & found it was fouling on the switch gear on full lock at the top & the starter & horn were touching the tank...

I have CRB600f4i callipers so getting a matching M/C, which is square & useing an adapter on the banjos sorted the angle of the bars therefore curing the starter/horn dilemma... Several bouts of dremlle action later...I trimed so its 3.5 cms down from the top of the fairing/bottom of the screen.

Get all the bit's together & if you come to mine I'll help you fit them...
Murv mc 2.JPG
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

To some the fact it has the flat bars outweighs the resale value woes...

It would only be an issue if you put it back to standard...If you then sell it... but your keeping it so there is no issue is there...

Oh & the cost of even after market fairings is gonna be more than any loss...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
gsh

Post by gsh »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:41 pm

That's a very kind offer, thanks.
Leaning towards getting a set of VFR750 bars to see how they feel. Seems they might be able to be fitted with little interference with the fairing. Assuming none of the cables or brake lines need changing it's something I could do.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gsh wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:10 am
MacV2 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:41 pm

That's a very kind offer, thanks.
Leaning towards getting a set of VFR750 bars to see how they feel. Seems they might be able to be fitted with little interference with the fairing. Assuming none of the cables or brake lines need changing it's something I could do.
Oh I missed this. Thanks for posting up the video :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i had VFR bars on my yellow one for a while and it was great. so much more comfy and very little trimming had to be done... worth trying a set and if you fancy flat bars later the VFR bars will always sell to guys looking a set.

once you go flat bar tho you will wish you had done it years ago.. its like a big supermoto campared to a standard storm. :lol: you can get the kits that clamp onto the fork tops and they move the bars back towards you aswell for £80 ish . i had a set from ebay, simple as to fit aswell and no drilling top yokes :thumbup:

if you do sell the storm, it will be like getting rid of a pair of your fav slippers :lol: . just not right.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i am running flat bars on my storm for the last 8yrs, and like Fabio said, I wish I had done it earlier!

better comfort for wrists & back, better visibility, better urban ride, better Fast A and B road dynamics with the SuperMoto feel, and better wheelies.

I have also done a few trackdays, and not havings clipons is no handicap there either :thumbup:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree with both Fabio and AMcQ having carried out the flat bar Renthal handlebar conversion to my Storm. In actual fact it was Al (AMcQ46) who recommended the conversion to me, it just took me a good few years to take his advice :lol:

Chris.