First bike = Firestorm

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
martygrohl

First bike = Firestorm

Post by martygrohl »

Hey Team Storm,

Marty here, the Scottish Dunlop.
I've finally gotten to the point where time and money have intertwined, making way for the licence and first bike.
Having grown up with bikes and a racing keen uncle, it's been a long wait. 10 years after my first attempt till money ran out for licensing, thankfully cashflow is easier when you become the boss.

I'm set to move out of country soon, but I wanted to ensure I had my license in the UK on roads I know, so ticking that off.
After the first couple rides on the DAS course, I couldn't help look at bikes for sale, saw Firestorms and that instantly got my grease/speed monkey interest going. Saw a couple, the yellow looked epic but settled on a relatively clean looking '98 black model for 1500. The guy even brought it up from Manc the next day.
----
IMG_4062.JPG
----
Overall it's pretty decent:
- Front right fairing has two epoxy repairs but the crankcases only have light abrasions, no other signs of dropping or crashing.
- The clutch master cylinder is a Yamaha branded aluminium black box, so need to investigate if this is un upgrade from the pot or just whatever a previous owner had lying around.
- Rear brake barely has power but pads look thick enough so need to service front and back as standard, have new pads on hand anyway.
- Petrol tank is a little shaky side to side so need to check if it's the rubber nut grommets, missing pads or missing foam underlay.
- Long/pointed belly an equipped which is colour matched yet chipped and can see it's from a yellow bike, but not a standard VTR moulding.
- Startup and idle are more grumbly than the twin should be so I have a service kit, air filter fitted and oil/oil filter changed so far.
- Need to renew spark plugs which took a bit to locate already.
- Keen to check out the carburetors, dismantle and clean if necessary as I've seen that can be an issue, especially with the age.

Initially I was going to buy a bike for now, have it for a couple months to up my experience, then sell it at pretty much the same price. But I'm already of the mind to keep it, store it with the Jeep when I leave, and then look after it as toy forevermore. Maybe even transition to the track, but at the very least it'll be going on the track at Knockhill once or twice (not racing) so I can properly get to grips with the speed and handling.

Anyway, looking forward to joining yet another enthusiast forum and getting some much needed guidance as I go through the servicing and upkeep of my first Firestorm! Sláinte

Reveal
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fe7Iof ... sp=sharing

Walkaround
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RfXyAm ... sp=sharing
Marty 8)
[The other >Dunlop]
AMCQ46

Re: First bike = Firestorm

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome Marty, looks like a fairly std spec bike which is a great starting point.

the back brake is not particular strong on the storm, so there might not be anything wrong with it.

but with the amount of engine braking you will soon find you have to be gentle with the back brake to make sure you dont lock the wheel on rapid deceleration.

the storm should be fun round Knockhill, but its been a long time since I rode there (the fact it was a proddy race spec RD400 should be evidence of how long!)
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Marty.Plenty of good advice here from people that really know their bikes. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome.

Re tank wobble. There should be two rubber rubber blocks No.9 in the fiche, they fit on the tank seam & sit on the frame, one each side.

At the front the two bolts should have rubbers (16) & top hat spacers (13)

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... /fuel-tank

The later Storms did have square res pots, your clutch one has been changed as well... If you front callipers have two pad pins they have been upgraded prob SP1 callipers as they are gold. Stdard calipers only have one pad pin... If the callipers have been upgraded, which is a good thing, then the M/C needs changing as well...CBR600F4i use square M/C.. Maybe PO just did it for the looks...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

It still has auto cct's.They will want changing to manuals as they are prone to letting go causing pistons to meet valves.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Hi welcome and have fun. :D
Storming About :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Marty :thumbup:

Great introduction :)

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Marty, enjoy the bike.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
gilson

Post by gilson »

Hi Marty! Welcome. Brilliant to see such enthusiasm.
No bike (yet).
martygrohl

Post by martygrohl »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:59 pm Welcome Marty, looks like a fairly std spec bike which is a great starting point.

the back brake is not particular strong on the storm, so there might not be anything wrong with it.

but with the amount of engine braking you will soon find you have to be gentle with the back brake to make sure you dont lock the wheel on rapid deceleration.

the storm should be fun round Knockhill, but its been a long time since I rode there (the fact it was a proddy race spec RD400 should be evidence of how long!)
Good to know, I feel there's a bit more power to be gained but won't worry if it's not like a '21 plate bike.
I'm an avid engine/clutch braker anyway so that hits home for me!

I haven't seen the track lately at Knockhill so may be different, the weather's definitely the same though!
Marty 8)
[The other >Dunlop]
martygrohl

Post by martygrohl »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:28 pm Welcome.

Re tank wobble. There should be two rubber rubber blocks No.9 in the fiche, they fit on the tank seam & sit on the frame, one each side.

At the front the two bolts should have rubbers (16) & top hat spacers (13)

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... /fuel-tank

The later Storms did have square res pots, your clutch one has been changed as well... If you front callipers have two pad pins they have been upgraded prob SP1 callipers as they are gold. Stdard calipers only have one pad pin... If the callipers have been upgraded, which is a good thing, then the M/C needs changing as well...CBR600F4i use square M/C.. Maybe PO just did it for the looks...
Thanks for that! I do already have new rubber bolt spacers coming as well as two new rubber blocks so glad I ordered them.
The foam undersill seems to have disintegrated/been torn out so might order one of those too, likely adding to the wobble.

I'll check the calipers and keep in mind the number of pins, an upgrade would be a decent surprise. Will post back what I find for guidance.
Marty 8)
[The other >Dunlop]
martygrohl

Post by martygrohl »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:52 pm It still has auto cct's.They will want changing to manuals as they are prone to letting go causing pistons to meet valves.
Yup they're still standard and I've seen the writeups on changing them as a first upgrade.
I'm surprised it's lasted 23 years with stock ones despite the common issue.

Will check the links on here for manual cct's.
Marty 8)
[The other >Dunlop]
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the foam under the tank is just sound deadening, so has no effect on the "wobble" the side rubbers will be key to stability.

for the CCT, it is a lottery, I have stoppers in mine, so fundamentally they are still the original parts.... and still working fine after 70,000 miles. but at least I now know when they eventually fail, I wont bend any valves.
AMcQ
martygrohl

Post by martygrohl »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:43 pm the foam under the tank is just sound deadening, so has no effect on the "wobble" the side rubbers will be key to stability.

for the CCT, it is a lottery, I have stoppers in mine, so fundamentally they are still the original parts.... and still working fine after 70,000 miles. but at least I now know when they eventually fail, I wont bend any valves.
Good to know, will order later as a luxury.
Yeh seems to be a lottery like you say, I'll see about ordering manuals.

A question on brakes since this thread has already been helpful, I bought HH EBC's to replace all round, but I've also read that the back brake is meant to be weaker (with emphasis supposed to be on the front anyway). Would it be a bad idea to put HH on the back, if not, would it make sense to buy Nissin or Brembo pads instead. I don't mind investing in the brakes.
Marty 8)
[The other >Dunlop]