New VTR rider..project

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
gtecomp

Re: New VTR rider..project

Post by gtecomp »

there is map sunchro function build in MaxxEcu, but I didn't try it yet.

As far as engine works and fires, I go to the next step and disassemble the carbs, swap COP on front cylinder too (it was easy to strobe ign advance on original coil with cables) and start to put the throttle bodies. I sourced new rubber intake boots (vtr is 54mm and Vara needs 52mm) and this evening I pushed Vara throttles on (it's a fight you know).

The cables are ok, but the airbox don't fit. Vara airbox is a little bit bigger and main problem is that hit strut bar between frame. The material of airbox is PP and now researching if can be soldered. The plan is to trim the airbox, cut crankcase ventilation and move it out of box and plug some hose and openings too....if material is not solderble, I'll make some spacer...which is not so simple...you know angled surfaces, projections of bolt holes will move in new position...but small problem.

Still not sure how I'll make Idle cirquit. Stepper motor bipolar ,can't be driven thru this ECU. Probably I'll try to source small PWM solenoid and to implement it instead of stepper.

I work on other problem too...fuel delivery. I'll plan to buy Vara pump (china knock off) and make small container with build in FPR ..return-less system. The plan is to placed the pump unit over rear cylinder on place of original shut-off valve. The major problem I see, is how to safely seal pump power supplay out of container ...probably I'll glue/epoxy two pins...to epoxy/glue cables is not good idea as far as fuel can 'escape' between wire and insulation. I hope I'll not explode :D :D :D

The rest is just tuning and when the sun comes again ..final adjustments.

Unfortunately I receive signals from space and start working again on Cagiva 750 and old Ducati monster 600 too. I always want mono swing on Ducati, but with spokes. There is some companies (KINEO) that make custom spoke wheels...but this is way of my budget. So I bought 10kg round pieces of 2017 Dural, and turn it into 3 kg spoke hub...this produced maybe 1 cubic meter of aluminium 'waste' :D :D :D :D .

I have some expiriance with making spoke wheels and usually design hub to hold cheep spokes , as far as custom spoke lenght is too expensive

So clasic spoke wheel, but with integrated drum brake...I'll make a pictures. I faced some space issues and now I am in process of making smallest brake cylinder possible (hydraulic actuated drum brake on bike :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin )

Of course some family trouble when I used oven to heat up hub in order to put iron insert for brake drum :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

I had good experience sourcing custom spokes from here:
https://menze-fahrzeugteile.de/wheelbuilding/spokes/

Designed upon user requirements and not too expensive. Plus delivered in a few weeks.
Bye
Martin
gtecomp

Post by gtecomp »

Hi there.

a question

how to plug carb heater hoses? Should I plug them or connect existing hose from pump to thermostat housing?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I disconnected mine and never had a carb icing problem, just run a shortcut hose as you suggested.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gtecomp

Post by gtecomp »

Helloween is not exactly East Shao-Lin/Orthodox holyday, but what to do...I made special equipment for tomorrow.
Attachments
hammer 2.jpg
hammer1.jpg
gtecomp

Post by gtecomp »

Should be Harley Quinn Hammer!!!
tevie54

Post by tevie54 »

[quote=popkat post_id=494370 time=1633266969 user_id=11192]
The VFR front rim you need is the 750 1994-1997 model, also NC30 will fit. Blade rear wheel will match from 1992-1999.

Good luck going FI, not worth it imo as its such a smooth bike with carbs, I can't see much gain for the work involved.

Sorry to hijack the thread, my question goes back to the time you fitted the Firestorm wheels to the VFR, what exactly did you do to the sprocket carrier to make it fit.
gtecomp

Post by gtecomp »

sprocket carrier is a direct fit...blade to firestorm.

I'll make progress report soon. My main problems and struggles are:

1. laziness
2. cold weather
3. fuel pump container that I build ... especially concerning is how to seal power cables.
4. parallel projects

..before week blow the dust of my old gsxr turbo bike. It was 7 years thick layer of dust....I can't remember, but I probably sold the original Link ECU. So I bought another MaxxECU mini and plan to bring old turbo alive again.
gtecomp

Post by gtecomp »

happy new year!!!

I struggle over a month or more with fuel pump. Made a 2 or 3 variants and finally I decide to put the pump in tank. The job is tricky and end up with making entire pump body with build in FPR as far as Vara fuel line is one way regulated. I just make picture of the tank before installation for gas leak test. It take me a lot of time to design the pump carrier , pump suspension and how to seal electrical connection ...which is not simple task...and I'm not sure that I solved it right...but will see

Another job was modifaing Vera airbox...it's minor cutting and 'welding'. I end up using VTR lid and this is final result

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Interesting to hear and see what you have been doing 8)

I hope it all goes to plan,

Chris.
gixxerst

Post by gixxerst »

gtecomp wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:12 pm Absolute right! Strange is that engine always stop in wrong position. I even try to rotate engine with ratchet 180 deg and then it the button and engine start...and it is full sequetional.

But ok the rest of story. How to deal with this?!?!?

I switch to 4 cyl engine

1 event 0 deg
2 event 90 deg
3 event 360 deg
4 event 450 deg

Firing order 1 2 1 2

And it works.

So for the records

VTR engine is 0-450 engine
rear cylinder is 6 tooth or 160 deg fron 1-st tooth
front cylinder is 9 tooth or 450 deg from TDC 1 cyl
Hi. I try your settings in my maxx mini on my XLV 1000 and work well. Can you share your map with fuel corrections injector size etc. My mail is gixxerst@hotmail.com
Thanks
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

Looking good
gtecomp

Post by gtecomp »

Okey... Okey

Last week here was Ester ( ortodox),and I'm in long holiday. So finally put the wiring together and gentleman, we have ignition...with simple words ..It's alive!!!

Maybe this season I'll reach dyno with the bike and tune it
gtecomp

Post by gtecomp »

actually...I have good carbs, and immo key with coresponding ECU left from the project.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gtecomp wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:32 pm Okey... Okey

Last week here was Ester ( ortodox),and I'm in long holiday. So finally put the wiring together and gentleman, we have ignition...with simple words ..It's alive!!!

Maybe this season I'll reach dyno with the bike and tune it
Good to hear "it's alive" 8)
And to hear you're still working on this :thumbup:

Do lets us know how it goes on the Dyno, whenever that is,

Chris.