Fuel tap woes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bingo808

Fuel tap woes

Post by bingo808 »

Hi
Me again.

I've just finished installing a Hendler fuel tap repair kit. It "sort of" works. Fuel still flows out a little bit when ON and no vacuum. Will this settle with time? When I took the fuel tap apart, there was no return spring! So I fitted the one in the kit - in-between the outer face and the diaphragm. So the plunger will close using the force of the spring with no vacuum.

But now I'm having trouble connecting the OLD fuel hoses. One side seems to have been butchered, and both hoses are hard - ie not very pliable or bendy.

Is there a trick to connecting the hoses? There were also no spring clamps on the ends.

Would I be better getting new hoses from Honda? Or can you use standard 8/10mm fuel hose?
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
bingo808

Re: Fuel tap woes

Post by bingo808 »

Well, I decided to put in some new hoses. Honda ones were about 3 months away from Japan, so DIY it is.

I can fit the 10mm hose on the fuel tap ends, and that's where they are now. I will leave them overnight to stretch a bit. I'm doing this as I tried to connect said hose to carby and you just can't get in there! Why do these things have to be so troublesome?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fit quick disconnects on both lines, it makes tank removal much easier.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:01 pm Fit quick disconnects on both lines, it makes tank removal much easier.
I've never heard of those for fuel. I'm familiar with quick connectors on compressed air lines. Can you point me to where I can get some from?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bingo808 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:32 am
tony.mon wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:01 pm Fit quick disconnects on both lines, it makes tank removal much easier.
I've never heard of those for fuel. I'm familiar with quick connectors on compressed air lines. Can you point me to where I can get some from?
E-Bay... ''10mm Car Motorcyle Black Fuel Line Hose Coupler Quick Release''
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Also the 8mm ones flow fuel faster than you can possibly use it, as there are two lines.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

Finally got all the parts and my motivation going to get the ol' girl going.

Initially I thought I had the fuel tap ON - tried cranking for about 30 sec. No go.

So, with a small wrench I rotated the fuel tap 180 deg the other way. Cranked over again - and life!

Now to install the rear wheel with the new bearings and I think that's it! Ready for the road!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thats a big step forwards :thumbup:

now get that wheel in and ride it :D
AMcQ