Battery for your motorcycle?

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Battery for your motorcycle?

Post by sirch345 »

What's your preferred make, and type of battery for your beloved motorcycle(s) :?:

Things like starting power and longevity are important IMHO.

I would be interested to hear your opinions :D

Chris.
MacV2

Re: Battery for your motorcycle?

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:59 am What's your preferred make, and type of battery for your beloved motorcycle(s) :?:

Chris.
Last 3 I've bought are these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360848284510 ... Swi09g0M4F

One on Nue Red & one on Custurd(now on Blonkey...) Custurds has gone through 2 winters & is holding up fine...

Next one I'll get will be this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251666124071 ... 1438.l2649

Few quid more but higher CCA...

The service from the seller Tanya Batteries is superb normaly next day delivery... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I run Shorai batteries.

I have had very good luck with them. Sure they are not the cheapest but the one I am running now is 11yrs old and still fine.
Never had any starting issues over that time....well except when it does the typical lithium batter "play dead when it's cold out" but a couple of cranking cycles has always warmed right up and it was then good to go.
The only reason I am replacing it is to go to a bigger battery of the hi-comp pistons :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:41 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:59 am What's your preferred make, and type of battery for your beloved motorcycle(s) :?:

Chris.
Last 3 I've bought are these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360848284510 ... Swi09g0M4F

One on Nue Red & one on Custurd(now on Blonkey...) Custurds has gone through 2 winters & is holding up fine...

Next one I'll get will be this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251666124071 ... 1438.l2649

The service from the seller Tanya Batteries is superb normaly next day delivery... :thumbup: :thumbup:
You're the 2nd person Mac to recommend Tayna Batteries :thumbup:
8541Hawk wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:32 pm I run Shorai batteries.

I have had very good luck with them. Sure they are not the cheapest but the one I am running now is 11yrs old and still fine.
Never had any starting issues over that time....well except when it does the typical lithium batter "play dead when it's cold out" but a couple of cranking cycles has always warmed right up and it was then good to go.
The only reason I am replacing it is to go to a bigger battery of the hi-comp pistons :thumbup:
Wow Mike that is amazing lasting that long and still fine. The best I have had from a Yuasa battery is 9yrs.

Thanks to you both for replying :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:41 pm

Chris.

Mac, looking more into batteries from Tayna I came across "Leoch", I had never heard of them. According to what I found about them they apparently use non-recycled lead:
Leoch motorcycle batteries from Tayna batteries..jpg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312819077935 ... SwnJdg0PPV

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:01 pm

Mac, looking more into batteries from Tayna I came across "Leoch", I had never heard of them. According to what I found about them they apparently use non-recycled lead:

Chris.
I like your thinking but not only is it 14mm taller but 1mm longer & wider... They are a tight fit anyway. Is that gonna be too tight to fit ?

Going back to removing the lid. It dosent clip on but the front of the battery box inc. the lid does clip in so could be removed but then theres nothing holding the batt in place... Hmmm Only getting one to see if it fits will tell... Good 200 CCA. The higher power one I posted is 190 CCA...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:19 pm
sirch345 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:01 pm

Chris.
I like your thinking but not only is it 14mm taller but 1mm longer & wider... They are a tight fit anyway. Is that gonna be too tight to fit ?

Going back to removing the lid. It dosent clip on but the front of the battery box inc. the lid does clip in so could be removed but then theres nothing holding the batt in place... Hmmm Only getting one to see if it fits will tell... Good 200 CCA. The higher power one I posted is 190 CCA...
I thought 150mm X 87mm was OEM Yuasa battery dimensions for width and thickness :?: Anyway it says "YTX14-BS-Compatible" so it should be fine would be my thoughts on those two dimensions.

I'm surprised with your fine collection of Firestorms that not one have a bigger battery fitted.
I run a Yuasa YTX14-BS with no lid on the battery box on my Firestorm, I don't have anything else in place to secure the battery now the lid is not there. I could be wrong but I don't think the battery moves due to the angle it sits at in the bike. My thinking is if the battery sat vertical then it would be a different story.

This is the wrong thread on the battery box lid :lol:
However you got me thinking now what I actually did do on my bike, it was some years ago I know. I also had a spare lid from you if you remember :?:
I'll have a look tomorrow and confirm :wink:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Never felt the need for the 14 battery Chris...

I might go for the higher CCA one next time...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mac, I have now had a look at mine, you are right and I was wrong :oops:
The part that unclips is part of the battery box side as you said.
I had forgotten the OEM lid has part of the battery box side built into it, so looking at the battery, about a third of it is above where you cut the lid off. That made me think I must have unclipped it at that point. So I took a look at the spare lid I had from you, now all is clear, well that's my excuse anyway :wink:

I appreciate you mentioning my mistake :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 pm Mac, I have now had a look at mine, you are right and I was wrong :oops:
I had forgotten the OEM lid has part of the battery box side built into it, so looking at the battery, about a third of it is above where you cut the lid off. That made me think I must have unclipped it at that point. So I took a look at the spare lid I had from you, now all is clear, well that's my excuse anyway :wink:

Chris.
TBH it's only fresh in my mind as I had the undertray off Blonky in the past few weeks & battery box bit fell off... So I knew it clipped in & the lid is part of the front bit...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:12 pm
sirch345 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 pm Mac, I have now had a look at mine, you are right and I was wrong :oops:

Chris.
TBH it's only fresh in my mind as I had the undertray off Blonky in the past few weeks & battery box bit fell off... So I knew it clipped in & the lid is part of the front bit...
:thumbup:

I have amended the appropriate article now :)

Chris.