New owner questions - 1999 VTR1000F

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bingo808

New owner questions - 1999 VTR1000F

Post by bingo808 »

Hi

Recently bought a 1999 VTR1000F. Everything seems to be there. Starts easily and motor is quiet.

For registration in NSW Australia, it needs a new front tyre, plus some TLC and general maintenance.

The seat vinyl is torn in a few places. I'd like to get it reupholstered. Any suggestion as to material to use?

Front tyre recommendations?

Fuel to use? 91/95/98 unleaded? Is there a fuel filter to replace?

Engine oil and filter? I bought 8L of Castrol 4T 15W-50 (on special). A Honda workshop manual I downloaded states 10W-40, but my motor is a bit tired, so I'm thinking a bit thicker oil wouldn't hurt.

Spark plugs? Air filter?

That's all for now I think. No doubt I will post more as time progresses.
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
IanB

Re: New owner questions - 1999 VTR1000F

Post by IanB »

Hi,

I'm looking for my first VTR1000 right now, I hope you're enjoying yours.

On reupholstering - watch this video, you might get some ideas: https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Recover ... nyl-Fabric . For the stretch vinyl, ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123829857089 ... Sw3YBdJIKB

You say your engine is tired. Could you get a compression test done on it? If that's fine, then it might just need servicing and a carb retune. You're generally better off sticking with manufacturer's recommendations on oil weight, taking your ambient temperatures into account.

Ian
Ian
All of the gear, no idea...
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

Thanks for the videos. I didn't know you could buy the vinyl itself! Tomorrow I will see what a local upholsterer will charge me.
IanB wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:42 am You say your engine is tired. Could you get a compression test done on it? If that's fine, then it might just need servicing and a carb retune. You're generally better off sticking with manufacturer's recommendations on oil weight, taking your ambient temperatures into account.
Yes, the 10W-40 oil is more expensive, but like I said the 15W-50 should be fine. We never get sub-zero temperatures here in Newcastle! Ambient temps are typically above 5degC.

Is it easy to do a compression test? Get a mechanic or do it myself?

Also, is there meant to be some sort of rubber pad at the rear of the fuel tank?
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bingo808 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:55 am Thanks for the videos. I didn't know you could buy the vinyl itself! Tomorrow I will see what a local upholsterer will charge me.
IanB wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:42 am You say your engine is tired. Could you get a compression test done on it? If that's fine, then it might just need servicing and a carb retune. You're generally better off sticking with manufacturer's recommendations on oil weight, taking your ambient temperatures into account.
Yes, the 10W-40 oil is more expensive, but like I said the 15W-50 should be fine. We never get sub-zero temperatures here in Newcastle! Ambient temps are typically above 5degC.

Also, is there meant to be some sort of rubber pad at the rear of the fuel tank?
No thats normal. Your lucky to still have the other two rubber trims...

Have a read of this... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31345
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club mate. Hope you enjoy the bike :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
IanB

Post by IanB »

Ah, well done on getting a yellow one - that's exactly the colour that I'm going to look at. The colour itself must be worth 10BHP :)

Compression test, it needs a compression tester - basically a pressure gauge, a check valve and some way of getting it to seal on the spark plug hole. You can buy them: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254590066215 ... SwxspeZwbK - they come with different attachments to let you get at the plughole, which can be a challenge. Both plugs out, seal the gauge against one plug hole, crank the engine half a dozen times, then read the gauge. Not sure what readings others are getting on a healthy engine - 150 - 180psi maybe?

The test will tell you if the piston rings and the valves are all sealing. A mechanic can do the test quickly enough.

Oh, if you search Ebay for "black stretchy vinyl", you'll quickly realise that the majority of it isn't made for use on motorbike saddles...

Ian
Ian
IanB

Post by IanB »

If the scratches on the tank bother you (they would me but I'm just like that), you can get touch-up kits: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233896939102 ... SwNHJgXyVs

The colour is called Pearl Shining Yellow, code Y-124P. Lots more kits & vendors, easy to find with the code.

Ian
Ian
martygrohl

Post by martygrohl »

bingo808 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:55 am Thanks for the videos. I didn't know you could buy the vinyl itself! Tomorrow I will see what a local upholsterer will charge me.

Just got my Firestorm the past couple of months too. I've been keen to make sure the tank is supported the way it should be, seems the protective bits get lost on most models. Been ordering replacement parts and this shows all the bits that should be there, but probably aren't https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 00/2/11480
Marty 8)
[The other >Dunlop]