Alright lads

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
ODB

Alright lads

Post by ODB »

Finally got a firestorm. Guy was asking dealer price but it was only down the Rd from me when I seen it it looked like a 6 month old bike iam sure it's been rebuilt. If I'd of walked away I'd be a fool. So picked it up next day and broke down on way home. It had been sat 6 month🤔. So drained carbs and sprayed carb cleaner through them. The plugs were black and wet. Mixture screw are out past the flange casing. Looks like it had dyno jet's fitted as has delkavic pipes on it. Do I adjust mixture as any carb. I need to get a bendy screwdriver unless you lads know of another way.
B2vtr

Re: Alright lads

Post by B2vtr »

Any pics, and welcome.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

If the bike has been standing for 6mths I'll be surprised if you get away without stripping down and cleaning the carbs thoroughly. Although worth a try with what you have done already, and if it does run see how it goes first before stripping them down.

If you do strip the carbs make sure the bits you remove go back into the carb they come from, don't mix front and rear parts up. Stripping them will give you a chance to see if it has been jetted.

Here's link that could be of use to you if you haven't already seen it of course:-
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28922

Chris.
ODB

Post by ODB »

Cheers I have good read through that. Got it running revs up OK no delay or misfire but tick over is bit up and down sometimes cuts out but starts up OK. Still trying make something up to adjust mixture screws. And I will try post a picture
Attachments
IMG_20210315_195628.jpg
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

What idle speed do you have.?it is recommended by the guys on here 1100/1200 rpm.
Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club matey :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the club mate.

6 months sitting isnt too bad, but still worth a clean out of the carbs
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I don't think you can assume that it has a DJ kit fitted just because the cans are non standard.
Depending on the kit, you might find that there are two holes in each carb slide when you pull them apart for cleaning.
If so it is likely to have had a kit fitted. It's a single hole as standard.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ODB

Post by ODB »

I try answer few comments. When I took tank off there's a k+n air filter and dyno jet sticker on air box. Tick over sits about 1200 rpm then drops down to 600/700 rpm then up to 1500 rpm small burp from front carb then stalls. It smells really rich I changed plugs as they were black and wet. Iam not confident to take carbs completely off. I've tried to bendy extension screwdriver bit. Allenkey with bit on and can't quite reach mixture screw. My eyesight doesn't help so specsavers here I come.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:36 am I don't think you can assume that it has a DJ kit fitted just because the cans are non standard.
Depending on the kit, you might find that there are two holes in each carb slide when you pull them apart for cleaning.
Actually the slide has 2 holes stock.....3 with a DJ kit installed :thumbup: :beer:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

It sounds like someone has fitted a filter and Dynojet kit but not bothered to take it to s Dyno operator for ot to be properly set up. I think you're going to have to pull the carbs off and see what's in there so you know your starting point. It might seem daunting but it's pretty easy really.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Hi and welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

8541Hawk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:13 pm
tony.mon wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:36 am I don't think you can assume that it has a DJ kit fitted just because the cans are non standard.
Actually the slide has 2 holes stock.....3 with a DJ kit installed :thumbup: :beer:
Fair enough, I haven't seen a standard one in many years😁
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ODB

Post by ODB »

Thanks for the info. It's running better than before at least