VTR track bike conversion

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

gilson

Re: VTR track bike conversion

Post by gilson »

8541Hawk wrote:
gilson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:24 pm Thanks very much Nick. I'm just procrastinating at the moment.

I want to have a track day with it pretty much standard, just lightened a little, then add fabio's flywheel, then perhaps a slipper. My wife used to go to the states a few times a year, but that's unlikely for a while.

Thanks for replying, I was thinking I'd asking you directly on your other post but didnt want to bother you.
Well if you ever need something shipped from the states....just ask, it's no problem Image
Thanks very much. It seems TSS in Czech Rep have at least one in stock but I'm not sure I can yet justify it.
No bike (yet).
gilson

Post by gilson »

Not the prettiest VTR but it's now almost ready. Fairings are tight, but a little wonky. Just a few things left to do.

I forgot how much fun it is working on a bike. Image
No bike (yet).
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looking good , keep at it and it’ll be a goodun
gilson

Post by gilson »

Wrapping is tricky. First attempt is pretty poor but I've learnt a few techniques.

I'm taking this off and starting again. I'll put a small central strip of white and then the sides smaller pieces of carbon should be easier to manage. God knows how they wrap a car or tank with once piece. Using small pieces is probably a cheat but I'm a only level 1. ImageImage
No bike (yet).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gilson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 pm Not the prettiest VTR but it's now almost ready. Fairings are tight, but a little wonky. Just a few things left to do.

I forgot how much fun it is working on a bike. Image
You got identical Storm twins there Gilson :lol:

Good work there :thumbup:

Chris.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Brands was eventful.

Bike would pass the sound test, registered 109 initially. That's with the Ti Quills which are road legal and have a short baffle. I bought a baffle, halved it and jammed it into the existing baffle. Only after using a secret Sir Ditchfield technique of keeping it in first and letting the clutch out until it just bites, front brake on and then taking it to 5/5.5k revs, plus some sweet talk did the guy let me on. He wouldn't even at 102.8 when the limit was 102dB. My mate also failed at initially 104 when his bike has been 100dBs for many previous trackdays. Strange.

Anyway whilst messing with my bike I had a go on his SV650 and it was great fun.

After my bike was sorted I joined a session late, but relaxed and with brand new tyres gave it a small amount to steady the bike at the very first corner and slide. Off. Carbonadi covers really did a great job, broken brake lever and the exhaust that gave me all the sound troubles was completely mangled. That will teach it a lesson.

Other than about 10kgs of stones, bike was ready to go on the next session. Shame it pissed down and with new tyres plus a lower level of confidence, we waited but it didn't dry up.

Fortunately helmet wasn't touched, and leathers and gloves oy minor scuffing.

It's a shame because for half a turn the bike felt great!

I'll be taking it a lot easier for the first few laps next month at Bedford.
No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The marshals get a backhander from the bloke selling baffles.
At least you got to keep some of their gravel as a souvenir.
Are you not back at brands in May?
[attachment=0]PXL_20210405_154417879.MP.jpg[/attachment

Here's my 94 year old mother in law on a "drive your own car round Brands" day over Easter.
She's never been to Brands but has lived nearby since 1955, so I bought her the experience for her Xmas pressy.

Clue: she's in the little black car ..
Attachments
PXL_20210405_154417879.MP.jpg
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Shame about your Brands day but I hope Bedford is better for you. Masses of run-off there from what I remember.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

gilson

Post by gilson »

tony.mon wrote:The marshals get a backhander from the bloke selling baffles.
At least you got to keep some of their gravel as a souvenir.
Are you not back at brands in May?
[attachment=0]PXL_20210405_154417879.MP.jpg[/attachment

Here's my 94 year old mother in law on a "drive your own car round Brands" day over Easter.
She's never been to Brands but has lived nearby since 1955, so I bought her the experience for her Xmas pressy.

Clue: she's in the little black car ..
I got my dates wrong for Brands, but hope to go back before the end of the season.

I bet your mother enjoyed it. At least she now knows where all the noise comes from. I hope I'm like her when I'm 94.
No bike (yet).
gilson

Post by gilson »

freeridenick wrote:Shame about your Brands day but I hope Bedford is better for you. Masses of run-off there from what I remember.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
It was a shame but no real damage done and I've learned a lesson.

Looking back I'm amazed at how little acceleration I gave it. But I hadn't dialed myself back from the previous session on my mates bike and tipped it in with too much. It was as if I hit ice.

A guy at the track says he takes some sand paper to brand new tyres to take off the shine. Practically that's probably a waste of time but makes you remember that you have to take it easy for the first few laps.
No bike (yet).
gilson

Post by gilson »

As the fork seal was leaking it was an ideal opportunity to replace the yoke with the aluminium billeted one from Nick.

Bling and a firmer front end (not that I would notice). It's a shame that it won't really be seen.

I've found a super mechanic to do this for me too. Image
No bike (yet).
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

gilson wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 pm As the fork seal was leaking it was an ideal opportunity to replace the yoke with the aluminium billeted one from Nick.

Bling and a firmer front end (not that I would notice). It's a shame that it won't really be seen.

:clap: :clap:

If you haven't done so already I'd take the steering stops off, clean them and refit with a bit of copper slip underneath them. They are steel and I don't think I did anything with them before fitting so could corrode. A bit of paint would help.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gilson wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 pm As the fork seal was leaking it was an ideal opportunity to replace the yoke with the aluminium billeted one from Nick.

I like 8) 8)

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

loving the single colour wiring ... that will be fun to fault find :lol:

but that yoke is damn sexy :thumbup:
AMcQ
gilson

Post by gilson »

freeridenick wrote:

:clap: :clap:

If you haven't done so already I'd take the steering stops off, clean them and refit with a bit of copper slip underneath them. They are steel and I don't think I did anything with them before fitting so could corrode. A bit of paint would help.
Thanks Nick, I'll mention it.
No bike (yet).