1997 VTR EFI conversion and other tinkering (short video P4)

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
4x2

Re: 1997 VTR EFI conversion and other tinkering

Post by 4x2 »

MK_WF wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:55 pm Nice to see someone else approaching this.
Says someone who already Microsquirted a RD350 and owns a VTR1000 with a programmable Ignitech ignition.

If required you can get the necessary ignition settings here :
https://www.vtr1000.de/index.php?thread ... /&pageNo=1
Hehe, my trackday BMW E36 V8 (and E30 before that) has actually been running on a megasquirt-3 for 5+ years already, currently trying to fit a turbo to get some 450-500hp, but got bored/lost motivation so figured I'd pick up an easier project first.

I've seen your thread actually, I think my initial ignition map is actually based on that one and compared to a Ducati (the guy that put VTR carbs on it) and somebody that extracted a RC51 map, I was a bit surprised by the massive amount of advance motorcycles seem to use (the Lexus V8 in my BMW needs no more than some 27 degrees at full throttle for max power, which is well before the knock limit)
Conncerning the fuel pump I used an external Walbro on the RD, but always planned to modify the tank for an in-tank solution. It's no wizardry to weld that when you take some precautions.
In the VTR case it's even easier. You can use the VFR800 Tank, that has 22l and a built-in pump.
Here's an example from the German VTR forum :
https://www.vtr1000.de/index.php?thread ... post583764

Some 10 years ago somebody already tried a Megasquirt on his VTR. The according threads can be found here and I guess even if it's in German, the pics and keywords may help. If required I can translate.
Thread on the Megasquirt forum :
http://megasquirt.de/msforum/viewtopic. ... VTR#p38538
Thread on the VTR forum :
https://www.vtr1000.de/index.php?thread ... /&pageNo=1

He reported a +18hp on the dyno but the fuel consumption was about the same.
Unfortunately that guy is not active anymore in neither forum and doesn't respond to PM's.

But there was another guy from the German VTR forum who planned this and already collected the necessary parts. Just recently he said he'd go a different way and offered his parts to me - including a VFR tank.
Maybe you could contact him: https://www.vtr1000.de/core/index.php?u ... twinfreak/
Actually I can't view any of the pictures on the german site as I'm not a member there, not sure if you can upload them somewhere else ?
No need to translate btw, I can read it just fine ;)
nigelrb wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:40 pm
alanfjones1411 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 pm I can tinker,but that has gone completely over my head 8O.Great project.Good luck with it.
Likewise from me.

Shows shows how big the gap is between basics and exceptionals! Very interesting.
Mehh, trust me, I've learned over plenty of years with plenty of mistakes and carnage ;)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

4x2 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:11 pm
nigelrb wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:40 pm
alanfjones1411 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 pm I can tinker,but that has gone completely over my head 8O.Great project.Good luck with it.
Likewise from me.

Shows shows how big the gap is between basics and exceptionals! Very interesting.
Mehh, trust me, I've learned over plenty of years with plenty of mistakes and carnage ;)
Oops. At least it hasn't put you off :thumbup:

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Excellent project, keep it going we are invested now 😂👍
bertye

Post by bertye »

Look forward to the final instalment. Noticed the you still has the original cam chain tensioners. :thumbdown:
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

My bad.
Tried a new browser tab and started at VTR1000.de to be sure. But I got logged in automatically, that's why I saw the pics and you don't.

But what's so bad about having an account there to get access to the forum pics ?
Bye
Martin
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

I am working on my own EFI conversion. I am using stock wiring and computer, and most of the sensors from an rc51, rear head from a Varadero to get the cam sensor location, and a set of Varadero throttle bodies. Going to mix and match the RC throttle bodies and the brackets from the Varadero to make everything work.... Just bought a shot motor for fitting purposes...
twinfreak

Post by twinfreak »

Hey guys,
i read your EFI thread:

if someone need an VFR 800 tank with an inline fuel pump in color red: please contact me.
I have also for sale Sp1 throttle bodies with mounting plates for the VTR 1000F.

If someone need a fuel amount data table from the SP1: i can send you.

I stopped my EFI conversion and the mentioned parts are left over.........

Greetings from Germany

Twinfreak
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

Don't need the tank... But interested in the adapter plates.... and tb's... pm me...
4x2

Post by 4x2 »

MK_WF wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:50 pm My bad.
Tried a new browser tab and started at VTR1000.de to be sure. But I got logged in automatically, that's why I saw the pics and you don't.

But what's so bad about having an account there to get access to the forum pics ?
Apparently nothing as it turns out I already had an account :mrgreen:
bertye wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:20 am Look forward to the final instalment. Noticed the you still has the original cam chain tensioners. :thumbdown:
Yeah, I'll work on them after I get it running.
twinfreak wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:15 am Hey guys,
i read your EFI thread:

if someone need an VFR 800 tank with an inline fuel pump in color red: please contact me.
I have also for sale Sp1 throttle bodies with mounting plates for the VTR 1000F.

If someone need a fuel amount data table from the SP1: i can send you.

I stopped my EFI conversion and the mentioned parts are left over.........

Greetings from Germany

Twinfreak
I might be interested in the tank, can you send me a PM ?
Also I'm mostly looking for an ignition map, fuel is easy enough to figure out once it starts.

Ok, so I decided to start the conversion and just tackle the hurdles along the way.
First off: the adapters between the Duc TB's and VTR airbox, made of some delrin/ptfe/POM/something blocks I had lying about.
There's a round adapter inside it, secured by 2 screws each (and heaps of loctite)

So, TB's on, airbox on, air horns on there, throttle fully open, should flow plenty of air :mrgreen:
Note the extra screw to attach the airbox to the frame and the air temperature sensor (the brass/brown thingy)
Thinking about removing the crankcase ventilation container to free up some space (for air) in the airbox, also the plastic covers between the frame are removed to allow it to get as much air as possible.

Next step was to add a bung for the wideband lambda sensor, 100% essential in getting this thing tuned (or even running properly), it would also be a nice addition for anyone that wants to tune their own bike with carbs, they're not too expensive (around the 150-200EUR mark)
If you'd do it really nice (with carbs) you'd make a small display with an arduino controller throttle position and lambda value, point a camera at it (and the speedo/tacho) and just drive around, this would more than likely give you a very nice overview of where it needs adjustment.
I might add a second (and maybe third) bung to be able to measure the front & rear cylinder seperately, the ECU allows for per injector adjustments/corrections.

Also added a hall sensor to be able to determine which phase the engine is in (so it knows which cylinder is in the compression stroke for injecting fuel & providing the spark)
Just hoping the cam lobe provides a nice enough signal (but it'll still work without it anyway)

Managed to stuff the fuel pump and pressure regulator in the valley between the cylinders, I'll deal with the coolant reservoir later.
Still need to figure out how to do the plumbing, the fuel pump has an overflow at the back of it, so I can hook up the pressure regulator to that one and connect the return lines on the TB's to eachother, or just T everything together.

And received my chinese Brembo RCS brake & clutch cylinder, I opened them up, they actually look surprisingly nice inside (pretty much no swarf, no burrs etc) so I might actually use them :shh:
And they were only 70 euros (for the both of them...)

Now I 'just' need to deal with the wiring & plumbing and it should be ready for a first starting attempt...
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

I T'd the fuel return line directly back to the pump-inlet as my RD350 tank has no entry point for that.
Excessive fuel is then going back to the tank and yet I haven't got any fuel temperature issues.

That may be different on the VTR and especially at your pump location which is extremely prone to heating up the fuel. I'd strongly encourage you to buy Werners VFR800 tank.
Bye
Martin
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Excellent stuff chaps. I can just about tie my shoe laces, well more of a velcro man now 😂
But loving the details and your skills 😁👍
4x2

Post by 4x2 »

Invest some money into an old superbike -> check
Quite a few hours of tedious work and swearing -> check
Carb farts turned into throttlebody farts -> check...

But it's running :mrgreen:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: 1997 VTR EFI conversion and other tinkering (yaay, it runs)

Post by Pete.L »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Way to go. Well impressed :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Nice work
AMcQ
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

I have the bottom of a Vfr tank with sender hole if you want it.