Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by buzzer »

MK_WF wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:54 am Well, see it the positive way: It's not too bad for a 40 yo German car to fail its MOT - an English one would have done that on first occasion :-)
Ah, the car is 15 years old... I was gutted as I missed the shocker was leaking... The MOT tester who has been a friend for 50 years took great delight in failing one of my cars :lol: :lol: :lol:

The rear shocker was actually OK…. but the plating was poor on many of the parts, and I knew that would niggle me! so I pulled it all apart and zinc plated all the parts that needed it, including the banjos on the end of the pipe. I bought a new seal kit, and some oil and re-assembled. the only tricky part was undoing the threaded centre tube out of the body. I didn't want to use grips so I wrapped some thin rubber around it and tightened a couple of jubilee clips around it and used the grips on that. worked a treat!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The shock looks great 8)

I like what you did with the thin rubber and jubilee clips :thumbup:

I guess you have to get it re-gassed now :?:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:09 pm The shock looks great 8)

I like what you did with the thin rubber and jubilee clips :thumbup:

I guess you have to get it re-gassed now :?:

Chris.
yes, I need to get it nitrogen filled... however, that can wait until its on the road. I have a mate who has a nitrogen bottle, they use it to check air con systems for leaks :thumbup:

here are a few photos of the detail as it comes together… I am particularly pleased with the rear number plate arrangement and speedo housing.

Another batch of polishing done... its a hard, filthy and quite dangerous job, so I tend to do it in batches, I thought this was the last batch, but as usual when I had finished and cleaned the workshop and myself... I find parts I have missed! :Argue 1:

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Funny how you think some jobs are going to be easy… I needed to bend some stainless steel rod into some hoops for the exhausts springs… easy enough I though, and tried to bend it over an 8mm bolt. After about the 5th attempt and failing to get a nice radius I ran out of rod.. :oops: I needed to think again! so I made this little jig and managed to finally get some nice even bends!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:00 pm Funny how you think some jobs are going to be easy… I needed to bend some stainless steel rod into some hoops for the exhausts springs… easy enough I though, and tried to bend it over an 8mm bolt. After about the 5th attempt and failing to get a nice radius I ran out of rod.. :oops: I needed to think again! so I made this little jig and managed to finally get some nice even bends!

Quite often the way, a simple job taking twice as long as you expected :problem:

At least you ended up with a decent job 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Started work on the wiring diagram… I always do one of these for a build, and invest some time in it as (1) its easier to design in stages, and ( 2) I think of the poor next owner trying to fault find in years to come! and (3) I can do it while she watches stuff like Strictly come dancing :lol:

Its not finished yet, but its getting there. I love the wiring stage of a build :crazy:

I did start to do it on my iPad on an App… which was a actually very good... but I got conned! after a few days it came up “your trial period is over – please pay” I wish I had spotted that in the small print before I started! so it was back to good old Microsoft Visio

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:17 am Started work on the wiring diagram… I always do one of these for a build, and invest some time in it as (1) its easier to design in stages, and ( 2) I think of the poor next owner trying to fault find in years to come! and (3) I can do it while she watches stuff like Strictly come dancing :lol:

Its not finished yet, but its getting there. I love the wiring stage of a build :crazy:

I did start to do it on my iPad on an App… which was a actually very good... but I got conned! after a few days it came up “your trial period is over – please pay” I wish I had spotted that in the small print before I started! so it was back to good old Microsoft Visio

:lol: :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

First time in the sunlight for a while… the exhaust is now finished and I have added a heat shield to protect the underside of the seat, and some protectors for the stanchions.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Your photography skills are 2nd to only your fabrication skills .
Your work is amazing 👍👍
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:55 pm Your photography skills are 2nd to only your fabrication skills .
Your work is amazing 👍👍
Couldn't agree more 8)

Great photo's :thumbup: My favourites have to be the ones with the short depth of field, they work so well in highlighting the build, although they are all great to see. The autumn leaves, and blue sky make a difference as does the totally free from any other vehicles :clap:

Many thanks for taking the time to take the photo's and for posting them up for all of us to see,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I love photography... but on a scale of 1 - 10... I am a 3 :oops:

I started about 15 years ago and bought a DSLR... which I lugged around on holiday for years.... then I bought a Sony RX100 pocket camera as I was fed up of the huge DSLR and lenses... Great small camera, and I stopped using the DSLR...

Then in Christmas 20 I had a new iPhone, (only the second new phone in my life, and work bought the first one :lol: ) and found the pictures I took was better than those from the Sony camera! I took the Iphone on holiday in Feb 20 (just before all hell broke loose!) and have never looked back! I only use the Iphone now... :mrgreen:

My mate has a Samsung though... I have phone camera envy now :p
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am I love photography... but on a scale of 1 - 10... I am a 3 :oops:

I started about 15 years ago and bought a DSLR... which I lugged around on holiday for years.... then I bought a Sony RX100 pocket camera as I was fed up of the huge DSLR and lenses... Great small camera, and I stopped using the DSLR...

Then in Christmas 20 I had a new iPhone, (only the second new phone in my life, and work bought the first one :lol: ) and found the pictures I took was better than those from the Sony camera! I took the Iphone on holiday in Feb 20 (just before all hell broke loose!) and have never looked back! I only use the Iphone now... :mrgreen:

My mate has a Samsung though... I have phone camera envy now :p
I have had the same thoughts as you regarding the issue of carrying around a DSLR camera and all the lenses, but so far I have not changed direction like you did with the Sony RX100 pocket camera. I got into the DSLR set-up around 2008 after advancing from a bridge camera. Photography is definitely a passion of mine, as it is with you :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

that is some proper skills sir :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have sent you PM Tony (Buzzer),

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Thanks Chris :thumbup:

A little break today to do something I love doing… making things from scratch…. I have always liked the window in the cover on some of the bevel bikes, so I decided to make a window for the desmo valve gear…