Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:20 am biggest problem i see with those builds is :shifty: :shifty: they make everybody elses look like crap :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

carry on :thumbup:
:lol: :clap: You do have a point Rob :D

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sadly, yes. The rest of us merely experiment...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Its been a while guys... 8) I tend to have the summer off from garage projects, holidays, days out, bike rides take over! However I had a few spare days and thought I would make use of the warm days and paint the tank. It was badly damaged when I bought it, so I cut some holes in the underside and knocked the dents out. it takes an age to get it to shape, in fact as the metal had stretched, so I cut a 1mm slot in it, planished it, which closed the gap, and then welded the slot up! its nicely to shape, just the decals to put on now

Another little job was to redo the speedo… I want to keep this build as clean as I can and wanted a smaller speedo. I decided to use one of the cheap GPS modules which is just 55mm diameter. I made a new housing for it, and will finish the bracket off when I start the assembly. it been in the car for a week on test!

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

All finished... I always have my heart in my mouth :eek2 on that last coat of lacquer over the decals!

I know a lot of people struggle with paintwork, its not that hard if you follow a process, so I have written a guide on my blog if anyone is interested...

https://jtccc.wordpress.com/projects-2/ ... g-at-home/

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm glad you took a break, you certainly earned it :D

That tank looks like it needed some work. It's looking fantastic now it's been repaired and resprayed 8)

I like the speedo housing too, another nice job :thumbup:

Thanks for the link on Paint Spraying too, I look forward to having a look at that :D

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Here is the speedo and warning lights finished, I am pleased with how this has come out, i wanted this to be as clean as I could… as with all electronic components I like to rubber mount them… so I have used some small grommets and spacers. The GPS speedo has a nice little feature which tells you which direction you are traveling in!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:17 pm Here is the speedo and warning lights finished, I am pleased with how this has come out, i wanted this to be as clean as I could… as with all electronic components I like to rubber mount them… so I have used some small grommets and spacers. The GPS speedo has a nice little feature which tells you which direction you are traveling in!

That looks Ace 8)
It looks like it has always been there :D

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Tony, I have just been reading your interesting and enjoyable link on "Painting parts at home" 8)

My apologies if I have missed it, but what is the other 50% you mix with the cheap vinegar for cleaning out petrol tanks :?:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Sorry Chris, missed the bit about vinegar! its 50/50 with water :thumbup:

Autumn arrives… Bike rides become less frequent, and the holiday and days out season slows down, so its back in the garage! the bike is now in the stage where all the fabrication is done and it all needs taking apart and cleaning and painting. Engine removal was quite easy with the removable frame rails and it was all soon apart and the engine and gearbox on the bench. I finished off all the welding on the frame and removed all the unused lugs to get that clean look, and sent it off to the powder coaters.

I will be doing a full engine gearbox and drive unit rebuild, mainly to vapour blast the cases. This of course means making a few special tools! First off was an extra long 32mm socket. I cut down a standard one and extended it with some thick wall tube.

next was a tool to undo the 27mm nut on the gearbox output shaft. you need to hold the shaft as well as turn the but so it needs to accommodate this. I used one of the spare Ducati wheel nut spanners I had laser cut years ago and bored it to shape on my new milling machine. Picture of that to follow!

next up took some thought… I needed to hold the shaft while I undid the nut. It would have been Ideal to use an old UJ but I didn’t have one… But what I did have was an old drive shaft. Out of this I made a stepped broach in the the lathe and then hardened it. With this I was able to broach a set of splines in a block of 10mm alloy, cut to fit a large spanner. It worked a treat!

finally, I made a tool to remove the castellated nut on the input shaft from an old socket, and a tool to hold the clutch hub from an old clutch plate. I think that may be it as far as special tools go!

I have been debating replacing my milling machine for a long time… but I have had it for almost 45 years and its like an old friend! over the years it done a lot of work, but its a 1929 machine and has its limitations! When my wife asked me what I wanted for my Birthday it was an easy answer! The old machine has gone to a good home where I know it will be looked after and used…

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sir? you have hands on you :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm glad to see your new milling machine came in handy :) 8)

That's a lot of special tools there to make, nice work :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply on the vinegar bit :wink:

Chris.

PS. I looked up what you had added to the rear of your petrol tank :clap:
I like it.
image_2022-10-01_204704598.png
image_2022-10-01_204704598.png (117.38 KiB) Viewed 847 times
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

yea, its hidden by the seat... but I know its there!

I much prefer the look of the older round barrel engines... so out came the angle grinder!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:25 am yea, its hidden by the seat... but I know its there!

I much prefer the look of the older round barrel engines... so out came the angle grinder!

Proper old skool :thumbup:
I have never really thought about it before on a M/Guzzi, but now you have rounded them off they look good to me.

You'll be upsetting the M/Guzzi enthusiasts again :wink: :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:02 pm
You'll be upsetting the M/Guzzi enthusiasts again :wink: :)

Chris.
Change the lettering on the cylinder head and upset them even more.
Moto Gonzo?
Moto Guzzle?
Motor Cycle?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I am always upsetting the Ducati and Guzzi purists :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was called a redneck biker vandal the other day :lol:

Time to overhall the hydraulics… just waiting for some new bolts to assemble the callipers. everything was in surprisingly good condition, just a strip and rebuild needed. Then onto the job I hate most… Polishing! I have a 2 HP 3000 RPM motor I use for this. Its a long, filthy and somewhat dangerous job. I try to do it all in one day as you get filthy, and its the sort of dirt that won’t wash off with hand soap, so I have to use washing up liquid!

I have also rebuilt the forks and put in new seals and dust covers, and some fresh oil. they are very simple forks, no where near the sophistication of the Ducati ones I normally do!