Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by buzzer »

Back from holiday where I unfortunaly got a dose of the virus! 8O Not too bad though, I have had worse colds… But for a few day I have kept out the garage, and did some computer time instead and constructed the wiring diagram… I like to keep it simple, and wire from scratch, so many builds are spoiled by patching up the old loom. I am using an ignitech for the ECU, and its interesting that the the unit uses the cam sensor for one cylinder, and the crank sensor for the other. I like that idea!

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I have agonised over the rear light / number plate arrangement…

No matter how I plan it, it just does not look right with the number plate on the back, So I am going for a side mounted plate. that leaves the rear light to consider… the rear of the seat is angled (more later) so I needed an angled plinth to mount the light I am using on… here it is, bar a good polish.

A new addition to the workshop is a bandsaw... How did I manage without one all these years! I modified the top and bottom guides so they have bearing supports and it works an absolute treat!

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

very nice... i love the fact you modded the saw that you use to make modded parts :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That must have taken some time etc for the rear light mounting, it looks great :thumbup:
I like the added bearings to your newly acquired bandsaw, ideal :clap:

Your wiring diagram is nice and clear to understand 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

One thing I always like on a build is a light throttle… in these days of EFI its easy to forget just how heavy some carb throttles were, always a balance of lightness Vs a throttle spring strong enough to prevent sticking, As I am using flat slides on this build I really wanted to use a pull / pull throttle set up, which would either mean a pair of splitters, or a dual throttle. that way I can retain the light springs. Try as I might I couldn’t find a dual pull / pull one so I have ended up making one! If anyone knows of a company that makes them… DONT TELL ME! here is the story in pictures…

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

There's a guy on Facebook who sold these.................................................................only joking :lol:

Wow that must have taken a bit of thinking about, good work :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:06 pm There's a guy on Facebook who sold these.................................................................only joking :lol:

Wow that must have taken a bit of thinking about, good work :thumbup:

Chris.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes it did take some thinking... I did try to make the alloy tube as its an odd size, so I ended up buying a cheap Triumph throttle and using the alloy tube off that.

the wheels are back from the vapour blasters… they have come out FAR better than I expected, and I quite like the finish, so I will be leaving them as they are. just a coat of ACF – 50 should keep them looking good. the spokes are stainless and have also come up well. First time in MANY years I have put my own tyres on! they are tubeless so went on very easily. just got to get them balanced.

MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

buzzer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:34 pm I couldn’t find a dual pull / pull one so I have ended up making one! If anyone knows of a company that makes them… DONT TELL ME!
Just for others not owning a lathe: Domino has dual throttle grips...

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/de/prod ... e_62080000
Bye
Martin
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

MK_WF wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:31 pm
buzzer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:34 pm I couldn’t find a dual pull / pull one so I have ended up making one! If anyone knows of a company that makes them… DONT TELL ME!
Just for others not owning a lathe: Domino has dual throttle grips...

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/de/prod ... e_62080000
they do... but they are twin pull with 2 cables... I needed a dual pull/pull with 4 cables! :thumbup:

seat next… I needed to bend the front to clear the tank bolt… So I made a former to press it into shape. I also made a tool so I could press some dimples where the rivinuts go, to raise the seat a little so the seat doesn’t sit directly on the frame rails…

Things don’t always go to plan… I decided to mount the rear light on the frame, and cover with a piece of alloy… which I did, but then realised that on full bump the tyre would hit the plate! I had designed the rear to cater for full bump, but promptly forgot! I realised I needed to mount the light on the seat base, but I hate wires showing… so I decided to make a conduit out of copper tube so the wires can be hidden under the seat cushion.

The seat is off to the trimmers today. I have not used this guy before… The girl I used for years to trim my seats left the company she worked for… the last guy I used was OK, but no where near her standard. So lets see what this new guy is like… Oh, and here she is in the daylight for the first time in a while…

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice work with the homemade former 8)
I also like the fine details with the rear light wiring, hiding it with copper pipe :thumbup:

A shame your original seat maker is no longer at your seat trimmers. Fingers crossed whoever does this one you're happy with it,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

my build continues... No mater how I tried I cant get the back end to look right with a number plate mounted on the rear as I have done on previous builds... so this one is going on the side...

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I get what you mean about number plates, there have been a few times over the years when I have thought how good it would be if we didn't have to have them spoiling the rear end of a bike.

Your mounting for the plate looks really solid :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

its been a while, this has been at the back of the garage waiting for spring... been out on it the last few days and its a hoot to ride! just a few niggles to sort... speedo needs calibrating, brake pedal adjustment and a few odd jobs...

Although I have used the same silencer (loose term!!) on other builds for some reason on this one its MEGA loud. maybe the length of pipe or something, but I am going to have to use a baffle... In order not to annoy the neighbours I decided to go somewhere quiet and out of the way to adjust the carbs, they take a bit of time... I pulled up in a quiet lane in the middle of nowhere... I was sitting there when a car drove by and stopped, two guys got out and came over, said they were bikers and asked if I needed help... we chatted for almost an hour!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good to be able to put some miles on that bike :thumbup: 8)

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

biggest problem i see with those builds is :shifty: :shifty: they make everybody elses look like crap :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

carry on :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: