Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

neil wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:25 pm Thought this Guzzi might be of interest, it was at a bike meeting at Stamford Bridge near me last year, looked better in the flesh.
That looks rather special 8)

Chris.
neil

Post by neil »

https://www.bikeexif.com/ghezzi-brian-moto-guzzi-1100 This article has more information on the Guzzi in the photo I put on earlier post.
redvtr
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

neil wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:34 am https://www.bikeexif.com/ghezzi-brian-moto-guzzi-1100 This article has more information on the Guzzi in the photo I put on earlier post.
oooh,i like that.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:36 am
neil wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:34 am https://www.bikeexif.com/ghezzi-brian-moto-guzzi-1100 This article has more information on the Guzzi in the photo I put on earlier post.
oooh,i like that.
first time I have seen that! it is VERY nice!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers Neil for the link 8)

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

That is proper nice :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

As I am taking off the linked brakes I needed to use a different rear caliper. I toyed around with making the rear caliper floating and using a torque arm… but in the end decided to use a neater, smaller bracket instead. It also meant that I could mount the speed sensor for the speedo as I am using a combined speedo / tacho.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're definitely not going to be welcomed back on the Moto Guzzi Forum :lol:

Looking good :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 pm You're definitely not going to be welcomed back on the Moto Guzzi Forum :lol:

Chris.
I don't think they understand me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The tank I am using is off a V7… It was cheap to buy because it had a couple of big dents, which I have managed to get out. To do this I had to cut a couple of holes in the bottom to give access with a 20mm bar with a dome on the end, which I then used to knock most of the dent out, just needing a skim of filler. I then welded some plates on the holes and leak tested them with dye penetrant.

I use this a lot, its great for checking for holes and cracks, they show up immediately. fortunately all was good in this case. I prefer doing it this way to filling it with petrol as if you do have a leak its a pain to clean it out again. I have taken to using the dye penetrant on frames before I have them blasted… its surprising how many have cracks! especially Ducati!

A while ago my mate welded an RGV 250 engine mounting on the alloy frame. When he had welded it, he used some dye penetrant around the joints on the frame to check for cracks… There were quite a few! he welded them up and re-checked. Here is a gearbox I recently welded that still had a leak after someone had already welded it, you could not see it with the naked eye, but its easily visible with the dye…

MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

For tanks there's an easier solution :
Put some 0.3-0.5 bar in it, send your wife off to the hairdresser and have a nice bath in your tub with that tank.
The dull version is to use a huge mortar bucket filled with water.

Usually radiator workshops can do this and supply a certificate.
That's the method the German TÜV uses to grant a road approval for DIY aluminum tanks.
Bye
Martin
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:27 am
sirch345 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 pm You're definitely not going to be welcomed back on the Moto Guzzi Forum :lol:

Chris.
I don't think they understand me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The tank I am using is off a V7… It was cheap to buy because it had a couple of big dents, which I have managed to get out. To do this I had to cut a couple of holes in the bottom to give access with a 20mm bar with a dome on the end, which I then used to knock most of the dent out, just needing a skim of filler. I then welded some plates on the holes and leak tested them with dye penetrant.

I use this a lot, its great for checking for holes and cracks, they show up immediately. fortunately all was good in this case. I prefer doing it this way to filling it with petrol as if you do have a leak its a pain to clean it out again. I have taken to using the dye penetrant on frames before I have them blasted… its surprising how many have cracks! especially Ducati!

A while ago my mate welded an RGV 250 engine mounting on the alloy frame. When he had welded it, he used some dye penetrant around the joints on the frame to check for cracks… There were quite a few! he welded them up and re-checked. Here is a gearbox I recently welded that still had a leak after someone had already welded it, you could not see it with the naked eye, but its easily visible with the dye…

:lol: :thumbup:

Getting back to the three purple spray can's. What are they all used for here :?:
I can just make out "Cleaner " on one can, and "Dye Penetrant" on the other :problem:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

yes, its a three step process... first a cleaner, let it dry... then a dye, which creeps into the cracks, which you then wipe off after 15 mins, and then the developer, which pulls the dye out of any cracks. when there is a crack, its really obvious.

its brilliant! my mates company make BIG stainless steel tanks (and i mean BIG!!!!) and he uses this on the welds... he sprays from the inside, and uses the developer on the outside in 5 years he has been making the tanks I can only recall twice he has found a leak... but if they had gone to site with a leak, the cost to rectify (after it was filled with sewage :eek2 ) would be massive.

I was there last year when he had a steel section "H" beam in from an architectural company for modification. it was an old beam and before he started work he dye pened the beam in a few stress areas... it had multiple cracks :eek2 The architect was there to inspect it and was so impressed at his visit and the fact he had took the initiative to check, he placed a big order for the next job he was doing! :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:26 am yes, its a three step process... first a cleaner, let it dry... then a dye, which creeps into the cracks, which you then wipe off after 15 mins, and then the developer, which pulls the dye out of any cracks. when there is a crack, its really obvious.

its brilliant! my mates company make BIG stainless steel tanks (and i mean BIG!!!!) and he uses this on the welds... he sprays from the inside, and uses the developer on the outside in 5 years he has been making the tanks I can only recall twice he has found a leak... but if they had gone to site with a leak, the cost to rectify (after it was filled with sewage :eek2 ) would be massive.

I was there last year when he had a steel section "H" beam in from an architectural company for modification. it was an old beam and before he started work he dye pened the beam in a few stress areas... it had multiple cracks :eek2 The architect was there to inspect it and was so impressed at his visit and the fact he had took the initiative to check, he placed a big order for the next job he was doing! :thumbup:
Many thanks for explaining how the three step process works :thumbup:
It sounds like an extremely good way to detect any cracks in welding.

Great to hear how your mate got a big order by being conscientious in his work process :clap: :clap:
It's quite difficult to find conscientious workers now. I'm not surprised the Architect placed work with him 8)

I'm guessing you used mild steel sheet metal for filling in your holes in the bottom of the petrol tank. Do you have to treat that new metal and the welds with anything to stop them from going rusty inside the tank :?:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

when I have welded the inside of a tank I just leave it bear metal... nothing resists ethanol these days... What I do though is add a few caps of 2 stroke oil in with the petrol of any bike I own that does not have a cat :D

With the new master cylinder mounted I looked at a way of mounting a reservoir. I could have used one of the small plastic ones, but instead decided to make one. I am pleased with the way it came out! here is a short video of how I made it! Last update for a while... I have to go on holiday apparently!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice work, I like the look 8)
You're making this look all too easy again :wink:

Enjoy your holiday, and thanks for the update :thumbup:

Chris.