Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by fabiostar »

hold on while i get a coffee and start reading :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:10 pm Up on the hoist for the first time… I have temporarily used a build stand that I have used for Ducati’s, but I will have to make a specific one as this one will impede making the exhaust fit on the bike. First job has been to make some inlet manifolds to fit the carbs… I wanted them angled upwards and inwards, and that took some working out to get the compound angle right! it ended up as 68.5 degrees. As the carb diameter is larger than the head inlet, I needed to use a tapered tube… To do this I turned up a tapered mandrel, and after annealing the alloy tube, I pressed it in with the vice, which expanded the tube by the required few mm. I then turned a grove to accept the lip inside the carb mounting blocks.

the next bit was actually quite difficult… I needed to make the hole on the flange a nice fit on the tube, but at an angle. I deliberately cut the 10mm plate quite large so I could get it mounted on the milling machine at the exact angle. I then bored the hole with an indexable boring head. If that milling machine looks old, it is! I did some work on it a few months ago and found a date… 1929!

Next job was to TIG weld the flanges on, drill the holes, and finally cut to shape.

here is a short video of the manifolds being made...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2EfrVdAiKo

You must have shares in Keihin :lol:
Lovely work as usual 8)

Thanks for including the video :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

One thing I hated about the bike was the side stand… Just how agricultural is that bracket! I know its a great functional design, but its SO ugly! so out come the angle grinder and it is no more! In the loft (or as my wife calls it the spares department :biggrin ) i had a side stand off a 1994 Honda CBR 600… it bolted straight on! Just need to adjust the angle a little when the ride height has been set. a job for much later on...

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That was a bit of luck :thumbup:

I agree it does look a lot better than the original,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:38 pm That was a bit of luck :thumbup:

I agree it does look a lot better than the original,

Chris.

you would not believe the stick I had on a Guzzi forum for cutting that stand off :lol: I have to say many of the Guzzi owners are a very strange lot :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2

yesterdays job was to mock up the exhaust... I had ordered some 2" mandrel bends and straight pipe as I wanted that chunky look, and for the pipe to fit straight into the silencer with no reducer. From a performance aspect, the large headers are probably not I deal... but I wont miss a few BHP! I also wanted that angled swept back look (old School!!) The bends are 135, 45 and 30 degrees. It should all polish nicely as its stainless steel. This bike will have more forward mounted foot rests, hence I could kick up the silencers earlier...

I find making exhaust systems quite therapeutic, although sometimes I could do with a third hand. My wife used to help, but since I burned the back of her hand with the hot end of the filler rod, all help has been withdrawn :oops: :oops: :oops:

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Your wife sounds a monster, fancy letting a little thing like third degree burns impact on the progress of our most entertaining provider.! Wicked woman 😉
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

great skills with the welder :thumbup: :clap:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Those headers take me back to what I used to have on my Triumph 650 Thunderbird (pre-unit construction) and on my Tritons (I owned two of those years ago) very similar.
The 2" pipe looks the part :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

yes, I have always loved that swept back look.... Old School, thats why :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Next on the list is the new foot controls… I sat on the bike and decided where I wanted the foot pegs to be. This bike wont have rear-sets, I want to to be comfortable to ride! I then measured how long from the peg the brake and gear lever needed to be and set about designing some controls. It would have been easier to have had them water jet cut, but that’s a 3 hour round trip for me, and usually quite a wait, so I decided to mill them out instead. What has made a BIG difference to me is the acquisition of a band saw… Its great for cutting stuff like this out! I was so lucky to acquire it… my mate was throwing it out!

I made a couple of spigots to mount them on the frame which I will weld on. I have used a couple of Oilite bushes on the holes rather than run the alloy directly on the steel. the first spigot I made I realised I had counter bored it a bit too far and it would have been too weak… a case of measure twice cut once! I then bent them in the vice to get the correct crank angle to clear the exhaust.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have had to educate myself a little on Oilite bushes :)
When it came to bushes (swingarm I'm thinking about on my old British bikes from years ago), I always thought phosphor bronze was just that phosphor bronze, but apparently not on what I read online.

Nice one with the new addition of the bandsaw 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

The finished results, apart from a good polish... As I am going to use a Ducati rear calliper, I have also used a Ducati Master cylinder, and also used the same leverage ratio for the pedal... here is a short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uw3wcT7-40

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Shame on you!
In the second to last pic, the push rod isn't in line with the master cylinder.
I was expecting perfection, but it could be the angle of the photo, I guess...😉
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:08 pm Shame on you!
My guess is it will be inline once the brake is applied due to the actuating arm, it will act like a cam :wink: :D

Thanks for posting the video and the photo's :thumbup:

The Guzzi forum are going to be well impressed with you using Ducati parts :lol:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:08 pm Shame on you!
I am hanging my head in shame :cry: :cry: :cry:

it is off... but i just enlarged the holes slightly and it OK now :biggrin
neil

Post by neil »

Thought this Guzzi might be of interest, it was at a bike meeting at Stamford Bridge near me last year, looked better in the flesh.
Attachments
IMG_20210720_193151229.jpg
redvtr