Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

A Merry Christmas to you too thanks.
I think you deserve a break, although it doesn't sound like you won't be busy, what with the house DIY jobs :)

Thanks for posting up the video, the bike sounds great 8)

Chris.

PS. I look forward to seeing what you do with the Moto Guzzi sometime next year :thumbup:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

OMG!
Even your video's are top notch :lol:
Well done Buzzer and thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Pete.L wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:04 am OMG!
Even your video's are top notch :lol:
Well done Buzzer and thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pete.l
And the music fits it perfect 👍👍👍👍
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

top class work sir.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Roll on seeing how the Guzzi turns out(from a closet guzzi fan) :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I have a bit of a gap before I start the Guzzi in earnest, so I am doing some small jobs, the first of which was to make some Bell Mouths out of thin wall Aluminium tube by the old method of spinning... you have to anneal the tube first by heating it and letting it cool. A good tip, is mark the alloy with a sharpie pen and the heat it until the marks disappear that's the right temperature for annealing!

here is a video of how its done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9rEkZzNBnw

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

buzzer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:31 pm I have a bit of a gap before I start the Guzzi in earnest, so I am doing some small jobs, the first of which was to make some Bell Mouths out of thin wall Aluminium tube by the old method of spinning... you have to anneal the tube first by heating it and letting it cool. A good tip, is mark the alloy with a sharpie pen and the heat it until the marks disappear that's the right temperature for annealing!

that is a thing of proper beauty :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:31 pm I have a bit of a gap before I start the Guzzi in earnest, so I am doing some small jobs, the first of which was to make some Bell Mouths out of thin wall Aluminium tube by the old method of spinning... you have to anneal the tube first by heating it and letting it cool. A good tip, is mark the alloy with a sharpie pen and the heat it until the marks disappear that's the right temperature for annealing!

Thanks for the video, that must take a bit of practice :clap:

The finished job looks Ace 8)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And another fine mesh to keep the stones out?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:05 pm And another fine mesh to keep the stones out?
Yes, I am working on it now... its proving challenging though... just waiting for some material to come and I will have another go.

Well here are both bikes... Roll on spring...

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

They're both looking amazing 8) 8)

Do you have a favourite so far :D :?:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:14 pm They're both looking amazing 8) 8)

Do you have a favourite so far :D :?:

Chris.
difficult to chose!

A couple of things were bugging me about this build… one was the inlet manifold where I had used the original rubber manifolds, they looked out of place, and gave to much movement on the carbs. I decided to re-make the manifolds. they are a bit difficult as the carbs are bigger than the port, so I had to expand some alloy tube a bit with a tapered mandrel.

The other thing was the foam filters… I really wanted bell mouths, but as the carbs were forward facing it was to risky to have big open, sucking carbs… So I decided to make some bell mouths with mesh… they came out well! I have also tidied up the under seat area.

Finally, I set the timing accurately it was out by 2 degrees cylinder to cylinder, probably do to me getting the positioning of the hall sensors slightly out. Its easy to correct for that in the ignitech software though.

another video... she says it sounds like a bag of spanners with the clutch out! :sad2

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Your wife has good taste regarding the clutch sound :wink: :lol:

The exhaust note is sounding lovely Tony :clap:

I also like your neat work under the seat, did you purchase the new fuse box from a supplier here in the UK :?:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

there are lots of sellers of that fuse box Chris... link to one below. I like it because you can bring one feed in, and 6 feeds to components out... and also you can consolidate any earths at the rear, and bring that forward to a single earth point.

On the subject of earth points on bikes... I see so many problems associated with a bad earth! I personally have had three Ducati's bought as none runners where the issue has been simply down to a bad earth! In fact the Guzzi I have just bought had the same issue... If you connect an OHM meter to the battery earth, and then the frame, and see a high resistance, you can bet you have an earth issue! I always recommend that before anyone starts replacing electrical components on cars and bikes they check the earth, and importantly disconnect the battery and pull apart and remake as many connections as possible! I have "cured" so many faults by simply doing this!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393705746420 ... Sw56RhlHGA
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:05 am there are lots of sellers of that fuse box Chris... link to one below. I like it because you can bring one feed in, and 6 feeds to components out... and also you can consolidate any earths at the rear, and bring that forward to a single earth point.

On the subject of earth points on bikes... I see so many problems associated with a bad earth! I personally have had three Ducati's bought as none runners where the issue has been simply down to a bad earth! In fact the Guzzi I have just bought had the same issue... If you connect an OHM meter to the battery earth, and then the frame, and see a high resistance, you can bet you have an earth issue! I always recommend that before anyone starts replacing electrical components on cars and bikes they check the earth, and importantly disconnect the battery and pull apart and remake as many connections as possible! I have "cured" so many faults by simply doing this!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393705746420 ... Sw56RhlHGA
Many thanks for the information and the link Tony :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Up on the hoist for the first time… I have temporarily used a build stand that I have used for Ducati’s, but I will have to make a specific one as this one will impede making the exhaust fit on the bike. First job has been to make some inlet manifolds to fit the carbs… I wanted them angled upwards and inwards, and that took some working out to get the compound angle right! it ended up as 68.5 degrees. As the carb diameter is larger than the head inlet, I needed to use a tapered tube… To do this I turned up a tapered mandrel, and after annealing the alloy tube, I pressed it in with the vice, which expanded the tube by the required few mm. I then turned a grove to accept the lip inside the carb mounting blocks.

the next bit was actually quite difficult… I needed to make the hole on the flange a nice fit on the tube, but at an angle. I deliberately cut the 10mm plate quite large so I could get it mounted on the milling machine at the exact angle. I then bored the hole with an indexable boring head. If that milling machine looks old, it is! I did some work on it a few months ago and found a date… 1929!

Next job was to TIG weld the flanges on, drill the holes, and finally cut to shape.

here is a short video of the manifolds being made...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2EfrVdAiKo