Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gilson

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by gilson »

buzzer wrote:I couldn’t resist modifying the clutch cover… I guess that the clutch is going to be even more noisy now! Image Image

I'm sure with your skills you can do something clever and remove the bag of bolts that's floating around in that clutch?

Please tell me the advantage(s) of the ducati dry clutch.

I remember the first time I heard this noise and seriously wanted to tell the rider that there was something very wrong with her bike.
No bike (yet).
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Please tell me the advantage(s) of the ducati dry clutch.

I remember the first time I heard this noise and seriously wanted to tell the rider that there was something very wrong with her bike.
to be honest I cant think of ANY advantage :lol: They do sound like a bag of spanners, and to me they just smack of poor engineering :( But the Ducati guys love them :whatever people will often say to me "that sounds rough" :oops:

Next job has been to make the plate and trigger wheel for the hall sensors for the ignition. I have made some modifications from the last couple I made, the trigger wheel bigger and i have fitted a heat sink to the plate. I tried to order the same hall sensors as I used the last few times, but everyone seemed to be out of stock, with a delivery date of sept 2022! Fortunately a good friend found me some in Germany, so they are on the way!

The hall sensors are triggered by two tiny magnets in the rim of the trigger wheel, south pole turns the hall on, north off.

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Finished making the belt covers… they cut easily with a hole saw and a diamond wheel in the Dremel… as does the 3mm Polycarbonate. not everyone like the fake carbon look... but I like it, and its very durable when coated with some 2K clear. In fact, more durable than the real thing in some case! Its cheap and easy to do as well... here is a short video of the process...

the engine is now finished, time to start assembly soon!

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think they look pretty good :thumbup: but I am now confused as to how you get the plug cap onto the 2nd spark plug, or are you just going to run it as a single spark plug engine?
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:38 pm I think they look pretty good :thumbup: but I am now confused as to how you get the plug cap onto the 2nd spark plug, or are you just going to run it as a single spark plug engine?
Tony (Buzzer) is making sure we are paying attention Al :lol:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

What you've done so far is looking amazing, even the open clutch looks great, although I do admit to not being a fan of hearing that "Ducati-Clatter" :lol:

Years ago a very good friend of mine was coming to stop with us on his Ducati 916.
Before he arrived, under Health & Safety I put a sign up in my garage/workshop stating that ear protectors must be worn at all times in the event of the "Ducati-Clatter" sound ever being in earshot, along with a set of ear protectors next to the sign.

Once he pulled into my garage and saw what I had done he couldn't stop laughing :wink:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

They look trick. Thanks for the video, makes it look very simple!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:48 pm
AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:38 pm I think they look pretty good :thumbup: but I am now confused as to how you get the plug cap onto the 2nd spark plug, or are you just going to run it as a single spark plug engine?

Chris.
Ha Ha, :thumbup: :wave: well spotted! I have got to cut some holes in there, but it needs to be done quite accurately as the plugs are on an angle… I have a template by using my other bike but it’s at the back of the garage so it will have to wait
sirch345 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:57 pm What you've done so far is looking amazing, even the open clutch looks great, although I do admit to not being a fan of hearing that "Ducati-Clatter" :lol:

Years ago a very good friend of mine was coming to stop with us on his Ducati 916.
Before he arrived, under Health & Safety I put a sign up in my garage/workshop stating that ear protectors must be worn at all times in the event of the "Ducati-Clatter" sound ever being in earshot, along with a set of ear protectors next to the sign.

Once he pulled into my garage and saw what I had done he couldn't stop laughing :wink:

Chris.
I am not a fan of the dry clutch noise… to me it smacks of poor engineering. :roll: They also have quite a limited life as the plates, and basket wear ..
Kev L wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:25 pm They look trick. Thanks for the video, makes it look very simple!
It is really easy… just make sure the water is just off cold (75 degrees) and spray the activator sparingly… I am going to do my helmet soon :biggrin
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

buzzer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am

Chris.
Ha Ha, :thumbup: :wave: well spotted! I have got to cut some holes in there, but it needs to be done quite accurately as the plugs are on an angle… I have a template by using my other bike but it’s at the back of the garage so it will have to wait
that makes sense then, I shouldn't have doubted you :lol: :thumbup:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:42 am
buzzer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am

Chris.
that makes sense then, I shouldn't have doubted you :lol: :thumbup:
:lol: :thumbup:

I also meant to say I love watching your video's on dipping, as Kev L said, you make it look so easy 8)

Chris.
gilson

Post by gilson »

I'm planning on carbon wrapping the front fairing air intakes. I've already tried and failed wrapping the front mudguard. The dipping method seems much easier but the pros always make things look a lot easier than they are.

No bike (yet).
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

gilson wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:56 am I'm planning on carbon wrapping the front fairing air intakes. I've already tried and failed wrapping the front mudguard. The dipping method seems much easier but the pros always make things look a lot easier than they are.
there are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it... I have found that having the water luke warm at 75 degrees is about right... don't spray too close to the film once its on the water. as you lay the film on, watch it until it crinkles, and then smooths out. then hit it with the spray. spray until it goes glossy. Make sure you contain the film in the container. I have a few, and if I am using a 12" x 20" one, I cut the film to 11" x 19", and cut the corners off. Also, watch the film... if it sags badly, don't dip. scoop it off the surface with some cardboard and try again. you need a good solis base colour as well, as the film is translucent and the base coat influences the final result. I did some carbon over god recently and it looked superb! Always happy to share what I know... :thumbup:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

started to pull it all together now, its amazing how quickly it all comes together once the engine is finished... it must be the easiest bike to put the engine in!

slight halt in proceeding now though, the car failed its MOT yesterday so I have to fix that... the parts are only available from Mercedes and only Germany hold stock... first time in over 40 years one of our cars has failed an MOT... I was guttted! :oops:

MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

Well, see it the positive way: It's not too bad for a 40 yo German car to fail its MOT - an English one would have done that on first occasion :-)
Bye
Martin
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

buzzer wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:48 pm I did some carbon over god recently and it looked superb!
You carbon fiber dipped God......damn you're good...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.