Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:56 pm Well I would like to say it started first time… but it didn’t… :oops:

I would like to say I found the problem in 10 mins… :roll: but I spent HOURS looking why it didn’t start. :oops: In the end I tracked it down to the fact that I had placed the magnets wrong on the ignition trigger wheel! :whatever

easily sorted soon as I spotted it.

Brilliant, it's sound like it's running great :clap: :clap:

You must be really pleased to hear it running after all the hours and work that went into building this special, especially after the little hiccup at the beginning of not getting it to fire.

Are you intending to be fitting air filters or running open carbs (ram-air) :?: Your tyre choice was not what I was expecting :)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

yes, I have some foam filters... its just too dangerouse to run forward facing carbs with no filters...

I rode a real Ducati Scrambler in the summer... it had those tyres on and was very good on the road. they dont last long as they are a soft compound, but I am not too worried about that :D
northmanuk

Post by northmanuk »

aaaaarg orange is a Lavada color
bloody nice bike i think it will be top shop but not orange lol
once again top marks to you
hey mister does pi--ing on the lemon tree make em grow better

no kid but it sure makes your ma mad (fastest indian) :crazy:
i always wanted to ride a v twin now i got one i still cant :D
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

northmanuk wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:26 pm aaaaarg orange is a Lavada color
Too late, I have bought the orange paint :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I wasn’t really in the market for another project just yet… but when this came along VERY cheap, I couldn’t resist! Its tatty but is a runner and sounds sweet! I think it will be a good basis for a project… I have done 9 Ducati’s now, need a change! Watch this space!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:07 am yes, I have some foam filters... its just too dangerouse to run forward facing carbs with no filters...

I rode a real Ducati Scrambler in the summer... it had those tyres on and was very good on the road. they dont last long as they are a soft compound, but I am not too worried about that :D
A good point about forward facing carbs picking up more debris than rearward facing ones :thumbup:

I was not expecting to hear that about the tyres 8)
At least you already know what they are like.
buzzer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:07 pm
northmanuk wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:26 pm aaaaarg orange is a Lavada color
Too late, I have bought the orange paint :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I wasn’t really in the market for another project just yet… but when this came along VERY cheap, I couldn’t resist! Its tatty but is a runner and sounds sweet! I think it will be a good basis for a project… I have done 9 Ducati’s now, need a change! Watch this space!

8O :lol: There's no holding you back is there :)

That's something a little different to what you have been doing, albeit still on the Vee twin theme :D

Amazing you have done 9 Ducati's already 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

yes, It was only when I counted them that I realised it was 9 :roll: not all have been full rebuilds though but quite a few have!

well I am So SO annoyed with myself… :oops: the tank has taken days to get to the right shape… I etch primed it… prefect… 2K primer… perfect… just needed flatting before the base coat. Unfortunately I went through to the bare metal on an edge… Not wanting to have to fill the gun with 2K again I used some 1K primer… As the base coat dried… the 1K primer reacted… lesson learned!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

How annoying. I feel your pain having done similar in the past myself :problem:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Well the tank is finally finished, bar for a mop and polish. It took a lot of time to rectify the paint reaction... I had to sand back to bare metal, and re primer the lot... I then put the tank above the radiator in the small bathroom and left the radiator on for 2 days to fully harden ...I had complaints about the smell of paint!!! :Argue 1: :Argue 1:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Well done, I knew it would all come good in the end,

Chris.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Don't listen to them - the orange looks beautiful!
Ian
All of the gear, no idea...
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

IanB wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:27 am Don't listen to them - the orange looks beautiful!
I love it, and its become a theme colour for me now! I went to the paint supplier the other day and before I could get the words out he asked how much orange I wanted :lol:

My build is coming to an end... here is how it looks with clothes on....

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Wow . Well done that looks fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I hope you don't mind, but I felt a 'Before' and 'After' was needed.

What a transformation. You've done a brilliant job, good work, well done :clap: 8)

Before:

After:

Thanks for sharing,

Chris.
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

buzzer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:08 pm Well the tank is finally finished, bar for a mop and polish. It took a lot of time to rectify the paint reaction... I had to sand back to bare metal, and re primer the lot... I then put the tank above the radiator in the small bathroom and left the radiator on for 2 days to fully harden ...I had complaints about the smell of paint!!! :Argue 1: :Argue 1:

Well if it isn't the paint that smells there's always something else... :lol:
Bad choices make good stories :D
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

This will be my last post for a while... the Ducati build is almost at an end and before I start the next project I have a list of house DIY jobs to do :lol But I will be back :lol:

this has been my 9th Ducati build / restoration so I fancy a change... the next bike will be a Guzzi 1100 :D

For now, here is a short video that tells the story of the last build...

merry Christmas!