Occasional full-throttle hesitation

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: Occasional full-throttle hesitation

Post by fabiostar »

i know this may be poking the bear in the eye but have you tried it running with another tank of supermarket fuel just to see if it come back again? :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Ha good point and I should do. Bike is currently off the road as it needed a new reg-rec and stator which I'm only able to do very gradually at the mo (have done the stator, just need to put the LH cover back on properly and swap the reg-rec and wiring)...I will eventually try some Sainsbury's fuel and see if the hesitation comes back...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:54 pm It's a pleasure! Yes 1 m should definitely be more than enough. And yes, the attachment on the coil is a threaded spike like on the spark plug caps.

Just be very sure as I say to reassemble the seal properly where it enters the coil (and I guess a smear of dielectric grease wouldn't hurt either).

I found routing the front lead over the oil cooler quite fiddly but I think I was also being a bit lazy and not unbolting and lowering the oil cooler which I think would help.

Pay attention to the routing of the front lead and make detailed notes/photos as (again IIRC) the diagram in the manual doesn't show every detail and I think it needs to be just right – I'm mainly talking about towards the spark plug end rather than the coil end (you'll see what I mean when you do it).

Good luck and please do report back once you've done it :thumbup:
Hi Joe, reporting back :D

I wasn't expecting any difference after fitting the new HT leads, or at the very least not enough to notice.
Probably all in my mind some may think, but I have to say going by my butt- dyno the bike seems to be more lively than it was. It appears to pull harder than it did, and that is throughout the rev range no matter what gear you are in, especially noticeable from 3,500rpms and up. Also it definitely starts better when the engine is warm :thumbup:

Whether it does do all of the above or not, for less than a fiver IMHO well worth doing. Mileage on my bike is approximately 35,000 and 22yrs old.

So many thanks Joe for giving me the incentive and encouragement to do this job :thumbup:

For those who are thinking about doing this:
The fitting of the new HT leads was a lot easier than I had anticipated, so that was good. What I did was remove the fairing and seat tail plastics to expose both HT coils. I removed the sparkplug cap from the spark plug then unscrewed it from the HT lead. Next at the HT coil end I slid back the rubber sleeve and unscrewed the HT lead from the HT coil. While holding the rubber sleeve at the spark plug end I was able to pull the old HT lead out from the coil end. This then leaves a path for the new HT lead to follow as you side it in place from the coil end. Next screw the HT ends into the HT coil and sparkplug cap. I sealed up the HT lead at the coil end with some silicone sealant (as Joe mentions), then slid the rubber sleeve back onto the HT coil. I did unscrew the mounting frame (one 8mm bolt) for the rear HT coil, that allowed the HT coil to be pulled away from the rear sub-frame giving better access to the HT connection.

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Chris, this is absolutely great. Your description of the improvement matches mine exactly. Thanks for reporting back – I hope this might inspire others to do this very cheap improvement!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:15 pm Chris, this is absolutely great. Your description of the improvement matches mine exactly. Thanks for reporting back – I hope this might inspire others to do this very cheap improvement!
Good to hear Joe it's not just my imagination then :D

You're right it is a cheap improvement, it cost less than a gallon of petrol 8O

Chris.