Homemade motorcycle "most unusual vehicle" stopped on M25

General Bike chat
Wicky

Homemade motorcycle "most unusual vehicle" stopped on M25

Post by Wicky »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-49393998
A homemade motorcycle stopped on the M25 was described by a traffic officer as the "most unusual vehicle" he had apprehended in 26 years.

It was spotted just before junction 21 for the M1 in Hertfordshire at about 20:30 BST on Sunday.

The officer tweeted that it was "all checked and in order" but he was "not convinced" he knew what it was.

A police spokeswoman said the vehicle was approved and registered by the DVLA.

Another roads policing officer called the vehicle a "homemade electric motorcycle" which was "made from bits of balsa wood and duct tape".

ID'd from his feet to be Cedric Lynch >

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Re: Homemade motorcycle "most unusual vehicle" stopped on M25

Post by VTRDark »

I wonder how that managed to get approved. I expect it being electric and enviro friendly had something to do with it. On an A road I would expect it to be approved as a bicycle is allowed on a A road but not on a Motorway. It's basically a powered cycle without pedals and a cover over it made out of Kellogs cornflake box's. :lol: And what are plod doing tweeting stuff. I didn't think that was allowed especially when it concerned work. Surly there must be some kind of Data Protection Law breach there.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

No it's registered as a motorbike - running a motor of his own devising putting out about 12hp allowing it to cruise at 60mph.
When I am in the UK I usually do 500 to 1000 miles a month in this vehicle, and get most of the power from 160 watts of solar panels on my house roof. I have added three more cells to the 2003 Thunder Sky battery and this is installed at home to receive the power from the solar panels when I am out. I can then connect the bike battery to this stationary battery to charge it; in this way I can charge from solar power at night.
http://craigvetter.com/pages/Main_Desig ... gners.html

Speed pedelecs (powered to 28mph) is a moped basically and need helmets, registering, no. plate MOT & licence etc. Normal pedelecs limited to power assistance to 15.5mph avoid all that hassle (though folk 'dongle' them to get moped performance and just need to be very careful not to hit anyone!).

I think the cornflake box is cos he's got a load of shopping in the bike's 'boot'

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wow that is different :eh:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

looks like the front end off a glider has fallen down onto the motorway
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:53 pm looks like the front end off a glider has fallen down onto the motorway
:-)