Rev 3

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
8541Hawk

Re: Rev 3

Post by 8541Hawk »

Today started so-so as I discovered I needed to order a new oil pump. Though it was going to be ok as it is fairly low mileage but it has a nice nick in the rotor with some scoring to go with it. So that should show up next week.

Then it was on to actually getting something done.
Pistons, crank and trans installed and ready to marry to cases.

And as you guys like picture of pistons the last time they see daylight almost as much as you like pics of bins....

Then a little more of putting the small bits together to make a big bit....

The next step is to degree the cams as the clutch basket gets in the way of the degree wheel (unless I make up a long spacer).
Also will be taking the frame to get powder coated this week. 8)
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

the engine is now proper bling :)

What do plan with the cams? Just precise setting, or changing the timing? And cams profiles will be stock ones?
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Stephan wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:55 am the engine is now proper bling :)

What do plan with the cams? Just precise setting, or changing the timing? And cams profiles will be stock ones?
Mori Stg 1 cams and setting them to the cam card :thumbup:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

that means precise tuning, mark of proper engine build :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're getting there Mike :thumbup:
Thanks for the great photo's, nice and crisp :thumbup:

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Thanks...new phone so better pics..... :lol:

Today was setting the cams. Even remembered to take a pic. Yes I did re-position the dial indicator, as it wasn't quite straight. :thumbup:
Though this was just the first check on the intake just to see where I was starting from.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:20 am Thanks...new phone so better pics..... :lol:

Today was setting the cams. Even remembered to take a pic. Yes I did re-position the dial indicator, as it wasn't quite straight. :thumbup:
Though this was just the first check on the intake just to see where I was starting from.

Many thanks for remembering to take a photo of how you set-up the dial gauge and degree wheel etc :thumbup:
I was wondering how you were going to mount the dial gauge.

Out of interest which new phone have you got? as it's camera is doing a really good job, especially when you take into account the type of lighting you have in your workshop (fluorescent tubes) :)

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I'm running LEDs instead of florescent, so that might help some but it is a Motorola one 5g ace
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:53 pm I'm running LEDs instead of florescent, so that might help some but it is a Motorola one 5g ace
Aarrgggg I should have thought of that as I was not so long ago looking at an LED strip light possibility for my wife's Art studio.

That might be something to do with the sharpness of your photo's as they say in the Photography World "it's all about the light" :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the info on your new phone :thumbup:

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well time for some updates....yes I am still waiting on a back ordered oil pump so moved on to a few other tasks. Though I will say progress slowed a bit due to a health scare....had a series of strokes a week and a half ago. culminating in me losing motor control of my little finger and ring finger on my left hand. After a 2 day hospital stay back home and recovering quickly as I have about 80% control of my left hand now. Still a bit uncoordinated but continue to work on it everyday. So back to the bike stuff.....Got the frame amd swingarm back from the powder coating shop

So installed the frame and installed the steering head bearings

Then the swingarm so I could get the bike on the stands so I can now assemble the clutch bits without the engine moving around :wink:

At least now she is starting to look like a motorbike again :thumbup:
gilson

Post by gilson »

8541Hawk wrote:Well time for some updates....yes I am still waiting on a back ordered oil pump so moved on to a few other tasks. Though I will say progress slowed a bit due to a health scare....had a series of strokes a week and a half ago. culminating in me losing motor control of my little finger and ring finger on my left hand. After a 2 day hospital stay back home and recovering quickly as I have about 80% control of my left hand now. Still a bit uncoordinated but continue to work on it everyday. So back to the bike stuff.....Got the frame amd swingarm back from the powder coating shop

So installed the frame and installed the steering head bearings

Then the swingarm so I could get the bike on the stands so I can now assemble the clutch bits without the engine moving around :wink:

At least now she is starting to look like a motorbike again Image
Excellent progress.

I do hope you fully recover quickly. Your attitude is perfect, use it or lose it.

Sending positive thoughts.
No bike (yet).
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

glad to hear that you are making a quick recovery, it must have been a bit more scary at the time. hope recovery continues
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Looking good Hawk :thumbup:
I've always preferred the assembly as to the disassembly side of any project. :D

Good luck with a speedy full recovery. :D
Little pinky isn't good for much so don't sweat it. All I use mine for is collecting the odd booger. Never needed it to pull a clutch lever.
It's all about priorities. Health first, bikes second....and then the boogers :shifty:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues Mike, I can only imagine that must have been a scary time. Wishing you a good recovery.

Good work with the bike, just don't go over doing it,

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Get well soon Mike and keep up the great work!!!! Rooting for you up here in Montreal :)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express