Insurance deals

Best deals in town
davebrannigan

Insurance deals

Post by davebrannigan »

Hi Guys,

Sold my Fireblade (954) back in 2010 and now potentially back to biking with a Firestorm I inherited from my late brother in law - providing I like the bike once I've ridden it.

I'm about to get it MOT'd this week after a bit of remedial work so time to think about insurance. Carole Nash wont touch me. Guy says I've been off the bikes too long to come back with a bike of this size.

I can sort of accept that, though I was riding continuously for 31 years before I stopped and I did my IAM ticket in 2000.

Anyone know of an insurer that may be sympathetic to my cause, or should I just put my Arai back in the attic and forget it?

Cheers

Dave
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Insurance deals

Post by sirch345 »

Wow that is the first time I've heard that. In my experience insurance companies normally will insure you, but at an inflated price if they think you are a higher risk.

Not wishing to sound rude, but was it something to do with your age, or a lot of points on your licence :?:

As for other companies, have a look online, there are loads out there,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Put your details into one of the comparison sites, they always come up with something.
I use three comparison sites, then compare the best from each one to find a winner...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

They are weary of born again bikers as statistics show they are a higher risk so insurance will be higher, that said someone will offer a reasonable policy if you shop around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

Dave

I was in a very similar situation. I sold my 954 in 2009, bought an XT660, and sold that in 2012, then had a complete break from motorcycles.
I inherited my fathers Firestorm last year, ended up going with Bennetts for the insurance. After declaring the slight mods the bike has (exhaust, crash bungs etc) the premium was £307 TPFT, with 0 NCD. So providing I don't prang it, it should be cheaper this year!

Lee
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Interesting Lee.

My cheapest quote was £144 but I spent extra to have recovery and clothing cover so I paid 240 for fully comp. I’ve found in the past that TPFT is usually only a few £cheaper than comp so False economy.

No more talk of pranging it. It’ll be fine but go steady.

Dave
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I wonder if it's bacause it's a thou? I've not had insurance for years, no road bike, so zero no claims but comparison site quotes are coming out at £140 (Hastings) upwards for Fully comp on a VFR800. I rang Bikesure yesterday and they quoted £260. I've yet to follow through on the comparison site offerings so I don't know if they will stay the same or misteriously increase but I was expecting near double that.
Ruddy

Post by Ruddy »

Anything over 15 years old try Peter James insurance. I pay £180 for my VTR, a VFR800 & 2X 350 YPVS one of which is a modded hybrid. All fully comp unlimited mileage.
Steve

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Thanks for the tip. Already done now but will look at it next year - if I keep it!

Thing with multi bike policies is it’s rare that more than one is used at any one time so risk is low, other than the F&T element which I guess is also rare on older machines?

Cheers

Dave
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

I find the whole insurance industry to be a mystery.
Each year I bounce between Bennetts and Hastings,but neither would insure my vtr,only MCE would.

Premium goes up every year despite no claims/endorsments.