Old Dyno chart

Just post charts and set up details.
shoarmadude

Re: Old Dyno chart

Post by shoarmadude »

VTRDark wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:43 pm Dyno Outfit :biggrin

Your going by an old dyno chart. This wont be as accurate as it was years back. I would start with giving the carbs a good clean and more importantly the air filter. When was the last time it was washed and re-oiled. Is it the BMC Street or Race filter as they both behave very differently. The Race behaves more like a K&N and the Street is closer to the Standard Honda filter. Just sticking the a standard Honda filter in may improve things for the better. Quick simple fix and easy to revert back if it's not better. You could try shifting the needle but this is then going to have knock on effect elsewhere. It's best to start on the lean side and richen up towards the high end. There is no preset mixture setting as every bike is different and those settings you have are a baseline to start with. It's amazing how much a difference even a 1/4 of a turn makes. But your opening a can of worms here. Once you start changing things it wont be long before you start changing other things to compensate and before you know it your a long way off the chart your trying to use as a guide. Be prepared for pulling the carbs on a regular basis and making small changes one at a time here or there in the aim for perfection by feel and fuel efficiency.
Cant see the image haha :confused

I already had my doubts about the BMC filter, bought the standard one (Ill check the numbers to make sure), but after reading some topics about tuning and filters I dont think this filter will do much more for me.
Ill go back to the standard Honda filter.
The BMC filter isnt that old and hasnt seen many km's, I havnt been driving a lot after I installed it.

Ill go with the following plan after reading your replies:
- Clean carb and jets
- Install standard Honda filter
- Needle as Dynojet instructed, 4th groove from the top.
- Mains on 185 fr - 185 bk (Dynojet mains)
- Mix screws... not sure... 2 out as base?
- Balance using same tool as the how-to posted on the forum

After some tweaking and riding Ill do another Dynorun.

I really apreciate all your info, it has been a while since Ive got some wrenches in my hand.
Going straight to the Honda dealer and let them tune isnt my thing, I like to do things for the biggest part
myself. Im a noob but if I dont try, I wont get to learn. :thumbup:
popkat

Re: Old Dyno chart

Post by popkat »

If you change make of jets remember that they will be different sizes, dynojet are not the same as keihin.
Here''s a chart to help. I can't guarantee the accuracy of it but it should give a good idea for comparison.

https://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_mikuni ... _sizes.htm

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s