From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Kev L

Re: From 107 to 128

Post by Kev L »

Sorry to hear that Nick, I was hoping you would have better news. Keep your chin up mate we’re all routing for you :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
gilson

Post by gilson »

You must feel gutted but you will succeed. All the best.
No bike (yet).
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

looking at all the bits you are selling Nick, I suspect you have made the "abort" decision on this project :(
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

selling? selling what???? :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

When Nick is in a better frame of mind I have suggested that he brings the whole bike to me and I will try and resolve the issues sympathetically for him. I am sure his spirits will rise given time.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:20 pm So the Dyno session started OK, with the old carbs and airbox leaning out the rich condition in the mid-range. So it seems reasonable to think the springs in the Mori carbs are just too strong. We'd just started working with the airbox and Mori stacks when the engine lost power and we could hear a ticking noise from behind the flywheel. So that's it, I've no clue what's wrong with it but it's game over for a while at least. We're not on speaking terms and it's under covers out of sight while I have some time away from it. On the plus side I've started to have a clear out so there'll be some bits and pieces going up in the sales section.
That's a shame Nick, I was hoping with the changes you'd made for better results, no doubt you were as well. It appears you were getting somewhere first of all too with the previous rich problem.

Having a break from it now is most likely a good idea,

Chris.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Roger Ditchfield wrote:When Nick is in a better frame of mind I have suggested that he brings the whole bike to me and I will try and resolve the issues sympathetically for him. I am sure his spirits will rise given time.
No bike (yet).
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The stuff I'm selling is all surplus stuff - the bike is all in one piece :thumbup:. I've been storing stuff for another project but it's just cluttering my garage and head so it's going and I can concentrate on one thing. I have to move stuff just so I can start working. It's all got a bit out of hand.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:55 pm The stuff I'm selling is all surplus stuff - the bike is all in one piece :thumbup:. I've been storing stuff for another project but it's just cluttering my garage and head so it's going and I can concentrate on one thing. I have to move stuff just so I can start working. It's all got a bit out of hand.
happy days Nick good to hear. :D . between yourself and Roger beat it into a corner until it gives in and goes proper :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:55 pm The stuff I'm selling is all surplus stuff - the bike is all in one piece :thumbup:. I've been storing stuff for another project but it's just cluttering my garage and head so it's going and I can concentrate on one thing. I have to move stuff just so I can start working. It's all got a bit out of hand.
whew ... I thought the worst when I saw good things like that bottom yoke being sold
AMcQ
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Roger Ditchfield wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:24 pm When Nick is in a better frame of mind I have suggested that he brings the whole bike to me and I will try and resolve the issues sympathetically for him. I am sure his spirits will rise given time.
:thumbup: They both deserve to be in shape.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Having cleared some space, in my head as well as in the garage, I started stripping the old stage 1 engine to see what the extent of the damage is. The heads are in pretty good shape from what I can tell. The valves were all seated nicely and there's no sign of piston contact - looks like the plugs made contact but there's still a gap so only glancing. I've not got v-blocks but with a straight edge against the valve stem no light was visible. So I think they're good.

The bores looked clean but below the pistons might be a different story. The piston to bore clearance looks bad though. There must be damage to the main bearing journals so I'm expecting the cases to be scrap. Fingers crossed for the pistons.

The stage 2 engine will have to come apart to seal a small oil leak so I'm thinking the big-valve heads from the stg1 will go on that. I just need to move that Colin Edwards bike on so I've got the room to pull it apart. Motivation is returning. ImageImage
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Very interesting Nick to hear what you have found so far. Please do keep us posted when you get into the bottom end.
Fingers crossed indeed on the pistons being okay,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Some JB Weld and it'll be fine, right? Image
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

would be interesting for a metallurgist to look at that to understand how it failed. looks like a stress crack (the flat dark grey surface) from the edge of the bearing wear mark that went through 70% of the journal then it it snapped the rest when it could take the load.

surprised and glad that the pistons didn't hit the valves, hope the new engine gets all the good bits and goes even stronger
AMcQ