Renthal Flat bar handlebar conversion.

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Renthal Flat bar handlebar conversion.

Post by sirch345 »

Rhughes945 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:38 pm Well, your post and pics (probably the red bike is doing it for me) has inspired me.

Thinking I might take the plunge and buy one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abm-Superbik ... 4137862114

Anything I need to watch out for? Can get spacers from work to bring the steering stoppers in, but I'm still unsure about location of the clutch and brake reservoirs.
Is it possible to get remote ones? Or extend them inwards somewhat?
I believe the kit you are thinking about purchasing in that link is designed to sit on top of the existing Firestorm top yoke. The only thing I'm not sure about is what height the handlebars will be sitting at. With the risers I used the h/bars sit 19mm (3/4") above the Firestorm OEM top yoke, if they are higher than mine it may mean you will need to trim the fairing. Also the handlebars supplied, if they are higher than the Renthal Ultra Low h/bars I used the fairing may still need to be trimmed.

The OEM front brake and OEM clutch master cylinder positions are determined on my bike by the fork stanchions that protrude above the top yoke. I have them both as close as possible to the stanchions (in-other-words they are both slid along the h/bars towards the ignition switch as far as they will go), although the banjo bolts are not quite touching the stanchions. The OEM clutch master cylinder reservoir is fixed to the master cylinder body (I had to remove the safely bracket that stops the lid coming undone and it's fixing screw as it didn't clear the fairing, it now supports a wide rubber band I made from an old inner tube that does the same thing). The OEM front brake master cylinder reservoir didn't need moving for it to clear the fairing, although due to the new angle it now sits with the Renthal H/bars I did fabricate a new bracket. This means when the bike is standing upright the reservoir is now sitting level, although I'm sure that wasn't completely necessary, I'm just a bit on the fussy side :wink:

HTH's

Chris.
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:47 pm
Rhughes945 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:38 pm Well, your post and pics (probably the red bike is doing it for me) has inspired me.

Thinking I might take the plunge and buy one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abm-Superbik ... 4137862114

Anything I need to watch out for? Can get spacers from work to bring the steering stoppers in, but I'm still unsure about location of the clutch and brake reservoirs.
Is it possible to get remote ones? Or extend them inwards somewhat?
I believe the kit you are thinking about purchasing in that link is designed to sit on top of the existing Firestorm top yoke. The only thing I'm not sure about is what height the handlebars will be sitting at. With the risers I used the h/bars sit 19mm (3/4") above the Firestorm OEM top yoke, if they are higher than mine it may mean you will need to trim the fairing. Also the handlebars supplied, if they are higher than the Renthal Ultra Low h/bars I used the fairing may still need to be trimmed.

The OEM front brake and OEM clutch master cylinder positions are determined on my bike by the fork stanchions that protrude above the top yoke. I have them both as close as possible to the stanchions (in-other-words they are both slid along the h/bars towards the ignition switch as far as they will go), although the banjo bolts are not quite touching the stanchions. The OEM clutch master cylinder reservoir is fixed to the master cylinder body (I had to remove the safely bracket that stops the lid coming undone and it's fixing screw as it didn't clear the fairing, it now supports a wide rubber band I made from an old inner tube that does the same thing). The OEM front brake master cylinder reservoir didn't need moving for it to clear the fairing, although due to the new angle it now sits with the Renthal H/bars I did fabricate a new bracket. This means when the bike is standing upright the reservoir is now sitting level, although I'm sure that wasn't completely necessary, I'm just a bit on the fussy side :wink:

HTH's

Chris.
Definitely helps to have more info.
I might just hold off and see what other options there are. I might be able to get someone at work to CNC me some adaptors anyway, get's me halfway there.

Thanks for the info on the cylinders, I might have a look for other options on that too.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Chris, '' I believe the kit you are thinking about purchasing in that link is designed to sit on top of the existing Firestorm top yoke.''

No it replaces the top yoke...Biggest pain is getting the Ignition barrel off the origonal yoke as they use security bolts which need to be drilled out.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182857065133

Looking at this instead now, might be an easier job for me, and the cost saving will always please the Mrs 8)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rhughes945 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:31 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182857065133

Looking at this instead now, might be an easier job for me, and the cost saving will always please the Mrs 8)
A good idea would be to contact the seller first to find out how much the bars are raised up from the top of the top-yoke, hopefully similar to my risers, by 19mm (3/4"). Then at least if you use Renthal Ultra Low h/bars like I have you will then know by using steering stops you won't need to trim the fairing, if that's what you are hoping :)
MacV2 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:32 pm Chris, '' I believe the kit you are thinking about purchasing in that link is designed to sit on top of the existing Firestorm top yoke.''

No it replaces the top yoke...Biggest pain is getting the Ignition barrel off the origonal yoke as they use security bolts which need to be drilled out.

Mac, get back to your headlamp wiring :wink: :lol:

You're most likely thinking of the CNC top yoke conversion, or one similar to that.

Have a look at the picture below from that link :shh:
Top-yoke-bar-conversion-Re.jpg
Chris.
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

I take it you fitted longer brake/clutch lines?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Wilky811 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 am I take it you fitted longer brake/clutch lines?
only if you have the std brake lines. I had a goodridge kit fitted and they were long enough to cope with adding flat bars. the std clutch line was just OK with a bit of easing of the routing guides.
you will need to lengthen the horn wiring
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wilky811 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 am I take it you fitted longer brake/clutch lines?
Yes I did fit longer brake hoses. I got mine from Venhill (no connection to them) as they offer a free service for making them longer. See link for INFO:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR100 ... SwUwFZ5cxD

I worked out the length I required which I suggest you should really do for your bike yourself. You could probably get away with slightly shorted hoses than I have, but by routing one hose behind the fork leg they are fine.

This is the information I added to my Ebay order:-

Hi Trevor, I have now purchased the front brake hoses for my Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. I have added the message as below at the payment stage. Any problems or anything I have missed pleased message me through Ebay.

I have now worked out the hose lengths I need (Re: our discussions).

Hose lengths, these are with the deductions of 20mm at each end for the banjo's already been taken off:-
1 hose @ 700mm
1 hose @ 725mm
Once the banjo's have been added to the above hose lengths the total lengths at banjo centre's should then be 740mm and 765mm.

I would like end fittings black chromed, with black pvc covered lines.

Please message me when these have been dispatched.

Thank you,

Chris.

I didn't need to lengthen my clutch hose. I removed it from the bracket near the head stock, raised it up there and kept it in place with a diy bracket made from stiff galvanised wire.

As Al (AMCQ46) say's, the horn wire does need lengthening.

HTH's

Chris.
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

Thanks for the info. It'll be part of a winter project I've got planned. :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wilky811 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:38 am Thanks for the info. It'll be part of a winter project I've got planned. :thumbup:
:thumbup: Good luck when you tackle the job,

Chris.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Sounds like too much work.

Should've bought a blue Transalp!! :lol: