Email provider!!

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Watty

Email provider!!

Post by Watty »

My current Email provider ( Orange) is shutting down at the end of the month. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? As I'm not vastly computer literate I'm looking for something simple to use etc! :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Wicky

Re: Email provider!!

Post by Wicky »

gmail
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
macdee

Post by macdee »

Carrier pigeon air mail
Make sure and get the one with Moto GP winglets
told you not to but oh no you knew better
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I'm with hotmail and get sh!tloads of junk
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

+1 on googlemail/gmail been with them for a few years, since ntlworld/virginmedia pissed me off. Not had any problems with them
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, Gmail.
They give you half a dozen aliases as alternative emails as well, so you can register as 5hitface.alky@gmail.com if you want.
You can then register on here as two different people and argue with yourself.
:Argue:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I was schizophrenic but we broke up. Bastid!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Watty

Post by Watty »

Kev L wrote:I was schizophrenic but we broke up. Bastid!
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

macdee wrote:Carrier pigeon air mail
Make sure and get the one with Moto GP winglets
Probably more reliable than email :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well this will be a bit more than what you have asked for :lol: but a good general guideline on email

Have a clean private account that you only give the address to family and friends and maybe a second one for business purposes, Have a dirty address or multiples addresses you can use on the web and to register for sites, filling in item receipts/guarantees/warranty forms in shops etc You can also make use of online disposable ones if it's a one time register on a site to download a free PDF or something. No point in receiving commercial spam from them and / or giving them an address to sell on to other businesses or spammers.

For things like eBay, paypal, forums, and I include things like facebook here while communicating with family and friends, then you will need an address that can be constantly used but don't use the one you use for your clean accounts. I like to use my ISP's email facilities for clean account as they have pretty good spam prevention in house before the mail reaches you or use a third party paid for service...not free. There's plenty of email providers out there that will charge a small yearly fee. Just look up webhosting as most providers do email too...namesco or ecohosting to name a couple. Some providers may require the purchase of a domain name and others will simply give you a free one.

Then for a dirty address's google (gmail) or equivalent can be good for this. It's a good idea to separate things link paypal / eBay and anything that requires financial transactions from things like forums, facebook etc so as has been mentioned you can create allies address with gmail for this purpose. You should even consider not using google for financial purposes as it not secure so maybe use you ISP or other provider who are less likely to be hacked and / or nose through and collect you data, well.... collect data they will, but only to comply with the government regulations, not for financial and advertising purposes like google do. It a free service for a reason :wink:

Then there's things like encryption because your mail is sent in open text it can be sniffed out, but this then introduces other issues like the receiver requiring the key to decrypt the mail to be able to read it and / or an account with the same provider. You have to make sure the headers are encrypted too and sent over a secure connection otherwise it's simply the contents encrypted. If you want a secure and encrypted email for sensitive info then use Protonmail and go through a VPN.

So basically multiple accounts is the way to go....

Family and Friends
Business
Financial transactions
Websites and registrations
Disposables
Encrypted

As well as spam you also want to cut down on phishing and scam mails hence dividing stuff up, so if something comes through on your family and friends address for example you know it's relatively trusted and not mixed up with the other junk. If possible do not load any remote content in mail and do not ever click directly on any links. If you do have to use a link then copy and paste it into your browser.

:beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Watty

Post by Watty »

VTRDark wrote:Well this will be a bit more than what you have asked for :lol: but a good general guideline on email

Have a clean private account that you only give the address to family and friends and maybe a second one for business purposes, Have a dirty address or multiples addresses you can use on the web and to register for sites, filling in item receipts/guarantees/warranty forms in shops etc You can also make use of online disposable ones if it's a one time register on a site to download a free PDF or something. No point in receiving commercial spam from them and / or giving them an address to sell on to other businesses or spammers.

For things like eBay, paypal, forums, and I include things like facebook here while communicating with family and friends, then you will need an address that can be constantly used but don't use the one you use for your clean accounts. I like to use my ISP's email facilities for clean account as they have pretty good spam prevention in house before the mail reaches you or use a third party paid for service...not free. There's plenty of email providers out there that will charge a small yearly fee. Just look up webhosting as most providers do email too...namesco or ecohosting to name a couple. Some providers may require the purchase of a domain name and others will simply give you a free one.

Then for a dirty address's google (gmail) or equivalent can be good for this. It's a good idea to separate things link paypal / eBay and anything that requires financial transactions from things like forums, facebook etc so as has been mentioned you can create allies address with gmail for this purpose. You should even consider not using google for financial purposes as it not secure so maybe use you ISP or other provider who are less likely to be hacked and / or nose through and collect you data, well.... collect data they will, but only to comply with the government regulations, not for financial and advertising purposes like google do. It a free service for a reason :wink:

Then there's things like encryption because your mail is sent in open text it can be sniffed out, but this then introduces other issues like the receiver requiring the key to decrypt the mail to be able to read it and / or an account with the same provider. You have to make sure the headers are encrypted too and sent over a secure connection otherwise it's simply the contents encrypted. If you want a secure and encrypted email for sensitive info then use Protonmail and go through a VPN.

So basically multiple accounts is the way to go....

Family and Friends
Business
Financial transactions
Websites and registrations
Disposables
Encrypted

As well as spam you also want to cut down on phishing and scam mails hence dividing stuff up, so if something comes through on your family and friends address for example you know it's relatively trusted and not mixed up with the other junk. If possible do not load any remote content in mail and do not ever click directly on any links. If you do have to use a link then copy and paste it into your browser.

:beer:
Well that may as well have been in Hebrew :crazy: :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

tony.mon wrote:Yep, Gmail.
They give you half a dozen aliases as alternative emails as well, so you can register as 5hitface.alky@gmail.com if you want.
You can then register on here as two different people and argue with yourself.
:Argue:
Pmsl
mark2000vtr

Post by mark2000vtr »

Hi Phil.Lost my phone and as such lost your phone number mate.Could you pm it over to me please fella.I am going on the Scotland do mate, all booked in and sorted!Will be going up in the camper again. :D
Watty

Post by Watty »

That's not off topic :wtf: :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Watty wrote:That's not off topic :wtf: :lol:
No, it's not.
He wants someone to provide their email, just like the thread title says.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.