Ignition Boosters

General Biker Banter
Ianasauras

Ignition Boosters

Post by Ianasauras »

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, and I suspect I already know the answer. But what is the general consensus on those ignition boosters all over eBay?
Complete shite, harmless but pointless or bad for your bike and engine?

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/uxcell-Vehicle-Fir ... nav=SEARCH

Anybody know the "science" behind them?
bazza696

Re: Ignition Boosters

Post by bazza696 »

I would say that increasing the voltage or current into the coil will make it going bang, same principle as wanting a more cranking amps out of a battery by charging it at 16 volts. So you would have to change the coil to improve this, but from experience with my brothers SV650, fitting the wrong coil will result in cooking your ECU.

With the firestorm, the main problem with lack of spark, is the length of lead to the plug. The common upgrade is to fit CBR coils that sit on the plug, rather than have a lead going to the plug from the coil.

I don't think the lead comes can be removed the VTR coil, but on the SV650 you could fit any lead, therefore adding something like a Magnecor would reduce resistance and improve spark.
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

Makes sense.
I've already done the stick coil mod, so don't need this. But was more curious than anything else!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You have to ask yourself, if a higher voltage gave your engine more power wouldn't Honda's R+D department tried it years ago?

As Bazza said, it's only leakage from HT leads or coil breakdown that causes any problems, and increasing the LT voltage isn't going to help fix those problems.
Also, when a RR fails, it fails to one of two states. It either puts out no volts, or it puts out more volts than it's meant to (which then overheats the battery plates, causing partial shorts internally). But I've never noticed the engine to suddenly develop more power when the RR fails to putting out more volts than it should rather the reverse....

Myth busted, as far as I can see.

But hey, for a few dollars you can give it a go. You'll need two, of course.

Dyno before and after and show'n'tell, and I'm prepared to believe it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.