A Few Bob,, What to Buy?

General Bike chat
bigtwinthing

A Few Bob,, What to Buy?

Post by bigtwinthing »

so i will have a bit of spare cash shortly. With the job situation and sorting through Pensions etc, i have decided to cash 2 in. What do i buy that will go up in value that hasn't gone loony already. I was thinking of an SP2, a V Max Possibly or a Paris Daker something. Any thoughts guys? Ive just lost a wonderful Ducati 916 that sold in 5 mins !
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
alanfjones1411

Re: A Few Bob,, What to Buy?

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You should not have sold your repsol cb.Great looking bike.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

A mint zx7r in green and gsxr750 srad in white and blue both or becoming future classics and or going up in price or just get a 748 916 996 all classics and all top priced bikes already well that's my thoughts anyway good luck with your hunt for a new bike :D
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Are you going to ride it or just keep it for an investment?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now there's a question because it's hard to say what will be of value in years to come. If only I knew my old RD would be worth something now back in the days. I have a North Face fleece I bought with my jacket years ago and I got told the other day that it's in fashion and worth a fair bit of money now :lol: My advice to you is to stay away from vehicles as it's too big a gamble or guess. Property would be a better investment as that never seems to go down and at least you can rent it out so get something back from it from the start. How about a little villa in one of your Ski resorts. It may even make a nice retirement home :plainsmile or buy a pub. I'll come and work for you :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

alanfjones1411 wrote:You should not have sold your repsol cb.Great looking bike.

I KNOW THAT NOW !!!!! hindsite eh!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Are you going to ride it or just keep it for an investment?

I will ride it but just short blasts etc. My mate said an Original TL1000
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

bigtwinthing wrote:

whats the point then, buy vtr1000f for few quids and mod it again :D With adjustable wider bars and lower pegs, I dont think you will suffer.
davebonline

Re: RE: Re: A Few Bob,, What to Buy?

Post by davebonline »

VTRDark wrote:Now there's a question because it's hard to say what will be of value in years to come. If only I knew my old RD would be worth something now back in the days. I have a North Face fleece I bought with my jacket years ago and I got told the other day that it's in fashion and worth a fair bit of money now Image My advice to you is to stay away from vehicles as it's too big a gamble or guess. Property would be a better investment as that never seems to go down and at least you can rent it out so get something back from it from the start. How about a little villa in one of your Ski resorts. It may even make a nice retirement home :plainsmile or buy a pub. I'll come and work for you Image
I have to disagree with this. Classic/sort after bikes have only been increasing in value whereas property has leveled out. I sold an RGV back in 2008 for £1800 which I know would be worth around £5k today. I'd say find a sort after model at the right price now and it will only increase in value - certain overlooked 90's Jap models seem to be on the up, TL1000, TLR's, YZF's etc.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Stephan wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:

whats the point then, buy vtr1000f for few quids and mod it again :D With adjustable wider bars and lower pegs, I dont think you will suffer.

i don't think Storms will go up much. A TL1000 will, and SP1 and 2 will I will always ride it, can't have anything just sat there. I will be looking at a Rare bike friday.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Get an early 916. You don't even need to ride them. You can just sit there and look at it.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Get an early 916. You don't even need to ride them. You can just sit there and look at it.
i am looking, i will have to ride it though. I had a 748 years ago, t reg i think, it just looked superb then and they still do.
popkat

Post by popkat »

early 916 is going up in value but you need to get a nice one, there's lots of rough ones out there so you'll be buying now at a price of about £6k upwards for a reasonable one and a lot more for a good one. 748 will never be worth anywhere near as much.

It's impossible to say what will be worth the most in years to come, look back at the past 40 years and not all bikes you might expect are fetching good money, for example you'd have though the GPZ900 would be desirable now but you can pick them up cheap.

Here's a some of what I've seen that seem to be on the way up but they need to be mint.

1992 only Fireblade
FZ750 1FN first model only
GSXR1100 g/h/j models (slabby version)
FZR1000 genesis
FZR1000 EXUP
ZXR750R (the race version)
Quite a few Italian bikes of the 70's/80's

The most important thing here though is for any of these bikes to sell for good money they need to be as close to mint as possible and as standard as possible, modified bikes are lower value.

I recently sold one of my Katana's a 750 popup light version, it had high miles (59000 if you can call that high), it took a while to sell but I got £3500, it was a reasonable investment. I've also restored and sold a Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP which has only done 6500 miles, it's better than new. It cost the new owner only a little more than I sold the Katana for but 90's superbikes are due to rise soon so the chap who bought it is onto an investment.

Then there's the guarantee'd to rise bikes, if your pockets deep enough it's worth buying a low mile mint one as they will still keep rising, just look at Vincents and Broughs etc.
RC30
RC45
OW01
916 SP and special editions
NR750
Z1A
CB750 sandcast model.
There's probably quite a few more as well

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

These seem to be going up in value as well...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1225356901
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...