david silver and cam chain tensioner

Best deals in town
VTRDark

Re: david silver and cam chain tensioner

Post by VTRDark »

I must admit I would go with the stopper next time. It comes down to personal preference at the end of the day and whether you Scottish or not :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

As I stated the stopper mod is a temporary measure until the cct fails, just delaying the inevitable. If your concerned enough to do the "stopper mod" why not just swap them out with new autos or manuals? No one seems to get my point that in my option it's a waste of time if your so sure it's going to fail why do the job twice? Why do a cheap temp fix (when it's not even broke)

I'm sure Honda spent a lot of money on R&D as well sirch, like I said in a previous post, get an oil bypass line from the early Suzuki's along with the bolt and fit that to the acct, that will provide enough oil for the spring to prevent it breaking, never head of the cct on a Suzuki going that had the bypass line fitted, better than hacking into a part that Honda have spent time and money developing.

Sorry sirch I still see it as a bodge, after all everyone is entitled to their opinion.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:As I stated the stopper mod is a temporary measure until the cct fails, just delaying the inevitable. If your concerned enough to do the "stopper mod" why not just swap them out with new autos or manuals? No one seems to get my point that in my option it's a waste of time if your so sure it's going to fail why do the job twice? Why do a cheap temp fix (when it's not even broke)

I'm sure Honda spent a lot of money on R&D as well sirch, like I said in a previous post, get an oil bypass line from the early Suzuki's along with the bolt and fit that to the acct, that will provide enough oil for the spring to prevent it breaking, never head of the cct on a Suzuki going that had the bypass line fitted, better than hacking into a part that Honda have spent time and money developing.

Sorry sirch I still see it as a bodge, after all everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I wouldnt call it a bodge as it needs care to do it corectly but I do agree with you in that its a bit of a waste of time if you have to keep doing it, free or not...Espesh if you havent got spare autos on the self...

Fit manuals once job done...as long as you do it corectly... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think the 1 thing we can all agree on is that just buying and fitting new Std CCTs as a regular service item is a waste of money, especially at DS prices, and a big risk to your Valves.

either do stopper mod on existing ones or buy MCCT
AMcQ
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

So I have a question - I'm still torn between MCCT's or stopper mod, what I want to know is, with MCCT's, as they are set to a fixed length do you get more cam chain noise than you would on an auto, and will this decrease the chain life over a certain mileage in comparison?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

davebonline wrote:So I have a question - I'm still torn between MCCT's or stopper mod, what I want to know is, with MCCT's, as they are set to a fixed length do you get more cam chain noise than you would on an auto, and will this decrease the chain life over a certain mileage in comparison?

yes, you set the MCCT with enough slack to cope with the thermal expansion, but it is only an issue when the engine is cold, so a very small % of the operating life.... so no concern about durability
AMcQ
davebonline

Re: RE: Re: david silver and cam chain tensioner

Post by davebonline »

AMCQ46 wrote:
davebonline wrote:So I have a question - I'm still torn between MCCT's or stopper mod, what I want to know is, with MCCT's, as they are set to a fixed length do you get more cam chain noise than you would on an auto, and will this decrease the chain life over a certain mileage in comparison?

yes, you set the MCCT with enough slack to cope with the thermal expansion, but it is only an issue when the engine is cold, so a very small % of the operating life.... so no concern about durability
What about noise though, is it more clattery than with an auto?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

davebonline wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:

Duno mate cant hear it over the open cans, the rattly clutch, ear plugs & helmet...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

davebonline wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:

no, the same or better than Auto if you set the right
AMcQ