david silver and cam chain tensioner

Best deals in town
bazzashadow

david silver and cam chain tensioner

Post by bazzashadow »

please don`t go on about auto and manual :lol: :lol: :lol:
I normally search for everything ( tight ar**) but this time I just went straight to david silver and ordered 2 auto cct`s for £62 each 2 gaskets and delivery came in at £163.
placed my order then done my search( backward or what)
thought I had been ripped off because Bournemouth Honda can do them for £120.
so emailed david silver to say could I cancel my order, phone went the next day and they ask me why I wanted to cancel.
I told them my reason and they said that I could cancel but Bournemouth was listing an old part number and davids was a new part number which then set my brain going , so I said leave the order as it was and I would have them from david.
so I was feeling a bit ripped off but then like a silly tw@ I done another search and it made me feel a bit better because ling`s Honda want £99 each :eek2

not sure what I want to call this post, a rant, a bit of advise or nothing :lol:
hope you all get what I mean :confused
Kev L

Re: david silver and cam chain tensioner

Post by Kev L »

A suicide note, possibly!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Shame is Silvers just assume people won't look around. Thay have the name as the go to for Honda spares & feking charge acordingly...

CMSL can be a bit cheaper but fek me do they like a P&P charge...

As for the old part number...Tosh there is no difference still a sh1t spring in there... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

MacV2 wrote:Shame is Silvers just assume people won't look around. Thay have the name as the go to for Honda spares & feking charge acordingly...

CMSL can be a bit cheaper but fek me do they like a P&P charge...

As for the old part number...Tosh there is no difference still a sh1t spring in there... :lol: :lol:

thanks for the vote of confidence mac
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Stopper mod .... Free :shh:
AMcQ
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

AMCQ46 wrote:Stopper mod .... Free :shh:
You would still need to buy replacement when it goes anyway so why spend the time doing the stopper mod when you can just change to manuals.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:
You would still need to buy replacement when it goes anyway so why spend the time doing the stopper mod when you can just change to manuals.
Not failed in 18 yrs and I have a spare set on the shelf from when I fitted mccts for others, so still free. All other std ccts I have removed, I send to bazza so he can convert [edit for clarity... to MCCTs not stoppers] them for others to buy.

But I prefer the stopper solution as it keeps the tension just as honda designed it to work
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

AMCQ46 wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:
Not failed in 18 yrs and I have a spare set on the shelf from when I fitted mccts for others, so still free. All other std ccts I have removed, I send to bazza so he can convert them for others to buy.

But I prefer the stopper solution as it keeps the tension just as honda designed it to work
My point was the stopper mod is not a solution but a way to limit damage when/if the front goes. I understand your point in keeping the correct tension on the chain though.

My point is, if your unable to do the stopper mod yourself due to lack of skill/tool availability/time restraints then why pay someone to do a bodge on a genuine part to reduce damage rather than buy manuals (which is not much more than the cost of buying stopper modded ones) and fit, thus eliminating the possibility of failure. You end up paying twice if/when the time comes. If your savvy enough to change your ccts for modded ones then checking the tension on the mccts isn't such a big deal. People on here sell the mccts at a decent price so why pay nearly the same for bodged autos?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

VTR Phoenix wrote: why pay someone to do a bodge on a genuine part to reduce damage rather than buy manuals (which is not much more than the cost of buying stopper modded ones)
not sure I understand ....... you cant buy a stopper modded set, the stoppers have to be cut to the length to suit each bike and you put them inside the existing CCTs on your bike. It is far from a bodge, its a clever engineering solution.

yes there is a risk that the front one will fail, but you will still only need to replace the failed one and, like me, it might be a long time before that happens.

in this thread the OP was someone buying new Honda CCTs for £££'s... why do that? Do the stopper mod on your old ones and don't treat the CCT as a service item... just wait and see if it fails or not.

Also on MCCTs I have seen 2 bikes where the owner has set too tight, potentially causing cam damage at start up, and 2 bikes where the locknut undid and they bent the valves!

if you are savy enough to fit MCCTs then you can do stoppers. you need a hammer, a hacksaw, a screwdriver and a vernier.

As you can tell I am fairly passionate that the stopper mod is a better solution, as it keeps the standard tensioning method, is failsafe, and avoids the 2 problems mentioned above............. and its free :D
AMcQ
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Bazza does the stopper mod for sale so if you can't do it yourself then there are people that will do it for you at a cost. Still to me it's a bodge fix.

Each to their own but IMHO if manuals are fitted correctly and maintained they are a better solution to replacement autos or bodged autos. To me it's the same as using a choc bloc to wire up your indicators instead of bullet connectors, if your gonna do it then do it right the first time.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:Bazza does the stopper mod for sale so if you can't do it yourself then there are people that will do it for you at a cost. Still to me it's a bodge fix.

ok, I started to think that might be the confusion ........ Bazza is making MCCTs using the standard housings rather than a machined housing to hold the adjuster screw [to keep the cost lower].......... those are not stopper modded CCTs.
AMcQ
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I could have sworn he did the mod, who is it on here that does the mod then?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you cant by a generic "stopper modded" part because every cylinder needs a different length of stopper to take into account the specific tolerances and chain stretch. Stoppers can vary between 8mm and 12mm long from the ones I have done.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:
Not failed in 18 yrs and I have a spare set on the shelf from when I fitted mccts for others, so still free. All other std ccts I have removed, I send to bazza so he can convert them for others to buy.

My point was the stopper mod is not a solution but a way to limit damage when/if the front goes. I understand your point in keeping the correct tension on the chain though.

My point is, if your unable to do the stopper mod yourself due to lack of skill/tool availability/time restraints then why pay someone to do a bodge on a genuine part to reduce damage rather than buy manuals (which is not much more than the cost of buying stopper modded ones) and fit, thus eliminating the possibility of failure. You end up paying twice if/when the time comes. If your savvy enough to change your ccts for modded ones then checking the tension on the mccts isn't such a big deal. People on here sell the mccts at a decent price so why pay nearly the same for bodged autos?
Way back in 2006 (I had to look it up, my memory isn't that good) I spent a lot of time, much more than I care to admit on R&D of the the standard automatic Honda cam chain tensioner to come up with a solution that allows the standard CCT to work as Honda designers intended, but in the event of a failure no damage would be done to the rest of the engine, in actual fact the "stopper mod" if carried out correctly will allow you to ride your bike home even with a failed CCT. There is thread I posted up when I did just that when a front CCT failed on me.

So I'd appreciate it if you didn't refer the "Stopper mod" as a bodge.

It's really up the the individual what steps they take (if any) to protect their bikes against a standard auto CCT possible failure, after all it's their pride and joy in most cases,

Chris.
macdee

Post by macdee »

sirch345 wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:

Way back in 2006 (I had to look it up, my memory isn't that good) I spent a lot of time, much more than I care to admit on R&D of the the standard automatic Honda cam chain tensioner to come up with a solution that allows the standard CCT to work as Honda designers intended, but in the event of a failure no damage would be done to the rest of the engine, in actual fact the "stopper mod" if carried out correctly will allow you to ride your bike home even with a failed CCT. There is thread I posted up when I did just that when a front CCT failed on me.

So I'd appreciate it if you didn't refer the "Stopper mod" as a bodge.

It's really up the the individual what steps they take (if any) to protect their bikes against a standard auto CCT possible failure, after all it's their pride and joy in most cases,

Chris.
I have done the mcct and stopper mod
Both do the job well on not letting piston met the valves
The stopper was easy to do and you don't have to remove the front cover
As said they both have there benefits and its down to which you chose
None of them are bodges
told you not to but oh no you knew better