Left-hand Exhuast Link Pipe Issue

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
davebonline

Left-hand Exhuast Link Pipe Issue

Post by davebonline »

My left-hand exhaust was blowing at the link pipe on my '98 Storm so I purchased a new clamp/clip and gasket. One of the things I noticed when I went to take the exhaust can off was that it didn't fit as neatly as the right-hand can, it was kind of angled down a bit at the rear hanger fixing as if under stress.

After taking the can off and doing a test re-fit I found it quite hard to fit both the lower mounting bolt and the rear hanger mounting bolt as the exhaust itself didn't line up well with the holes. It was here I realised that the link pipe didn't snug fit with the down pipe - it would fit on, but it didn't go all the way to the flange-ring leaving a gap of around 8-10mm (see attached image). Obviously someone has struggled with this in the past as I found an odd gasket on there, over twice the length of a stock gasket plus a second clamp holding everything together.

Anyway, I managed to get everything back together with the new gasket and clamp but I haven't resolved the gap issue, the pipe will not snug up to the down pipe flange, however, I've managed to get it to seal and it seems ok but I'm a bit concerned about the security of the fix here as it's only clamping on to around 2/3 the full amount.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get these two pipes to snug up properly, obviously I have a finite amount of adjustment with the main end can as the fixing brackets restrict movement, so it looks like my only option is with moving the actual down pipes but they all seem to fit perfectly for the right-hand exhaust?

MacV2

Re: Left-hand Exhuast Link Pipe Issue

Post by MacV2 »

Are they std exhasusts ?

Try not using the mid fixing point...i.e. Clamp & gaskit where they join as norm & just the fixing to the rear hanger.

With std cans you get a 3rd fixing point towards the back of the front footpeg hanger...Leave that one unattached...

If the front hanger has any damage/twist/bent that could be whats pulling it out of line. Or it might be that the mid mount on the can is bent...

Panic not about not fixing it there...Some aftermarket cans don't even have that fitting...I have had a few sets where that mount is broken off make no difference at all...In fact it has a benifit where buy vibes from the cans don't get passed throuhg the footpegs...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
davebonline

Re: RE: Re: Left-hand Exhuast Link Pipe Issue

Post by davebonline »

MacV2 wrote:Are they std exhasusts ?

Try not using the mid fixing point...i.e. Clamp & gaskit where they join as norm & just the fixing to the rear hanger.

With std cans you get a 3rd fixing point towards the back of the front footpeg hanger...Leave that one unattached...

If the front hanger has any damage/twist/bent that could be whats pulling it out of line. Or it might be that the mid mount on the can is bent...

Panic not about not fixing it there...Some aftermarket cans don't even have that fitting...I have had a few sets where that mount is broken off make no difference at all...In fact it has a benifit where buy vibes from the cans don't get passed throuhg the footpegs...
Thanks for the info and the speedy response MacV2, yes, they are standard exhausts.

Even if I leave the lower fixing undone the actual bracket can't move past the footrest hanger which means I have no lateral movement with which to push the pipe further into the downpipe.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
MacV2

Re: RE: Re: Left-hand Exhuast Link Pipe Issue

Post by MacV2 »

davebonline wrote:

Thanks for the info and the speedy response MacV2, yes, they are standard exhausts.

Even if I leave the lower fixing undone the actual bracket can't move past the footrest hanger which means I have no lateral movement with which to push the pipe further into the downpipe.

Pass the hacksaw... :lol: :lol:
davebonline

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Left-hand Exhuast Link Pipe Issue

Post by davebonline »

MacV2 wrote:
davebonline wrote:

Pass the hacksaw... Image Image
No, no, no! I can't do that to my lovely pristine exhaust pipes! ;) Surely there's a less 'pass me the hammer' solution to this?

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

davebonline wrote: No, no, no! I can't do that to my lovely pristine exhaust pipes! ;)
What those ones with the big gouge on them... :lol: :lol:

OK don't cut it off just bend it out of the way...
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

So MacV2, is this quite a common issue on these bikes, i take it you've seen this before?

Seriously though, if you remove the lower bracket wont there be considerable stress on the joint at the link pipe/downpipes?

Thanks

bertye

Post by bertye »

Loosen all the bolts/nuts on the exhaust system - headers ect. Get it all together then re-tighten all the bolts/nuts.
Last edited by bertye on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

bertye wrote:Loosen all the bolts/nuts on the exhaust system - headers ect. Get it all together then re-tighten all the balts/nuts.

what he said.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

davebonline wrote:So MacV2, is this quite a common issue on these bikes, i take it you've seen this before?

Seriously though, if you remove the lower bracket wont there be considerable stress on the joint at the link pipe/downpipes?

Thanks

Sort of seen it before but looking at your pic if thats the left hand link it's not standard cans...

The standard cans on the left side have a 90* bend in them. The whole can / link is one peice. That looks like it's two peices.

The R/H can is more of a straight run...

Also unless my eyes are deciving me that pic is back to front... :crazy:

Can you post a pic of the cans please...
bertye

Post by bertye »

If it is back to front, why is the writing on the clamp and bolt the correct way round? It also has the left hand link in the heading.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote:
davebonline wrote: No, no, no! I can't do that to my lovely pristine exhaust pipes! ;)
What those ones with the big gouge on them... :lol: :lol:
Seeing that damage mark makes me think the whole system has been put out of alignment. So try what bertye says would be my suggestion:-
bertye wrote:Loosen all the bolts/nuts on the exhaust system - headers ect. Get it all together then re-tighten all the bolts/nuts.

Just beware the front header pipe joint nuts can be seized, so go carefully, you don't want to shear those off. If they are seized, and you want to give bertye's suggestion ago, get a nut splitter to remove the seized nuts. Then clean up the threads and fit new nuts,

Chris.
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

It's the left hand can (if you're sitting on the bike). They are stock exhaust and one-piece down to the downpipe connection. They have Honda stamped on them. The photo shows the rear cylinder downpipe where it splits from the right-hand pipe, it goes into the left can link pipe (which is part of the left can, not a separate piece).

The photo is a 3/4 view from the back/underside if the bike, the link pipe in the left of the photo curves round to the right as part of the left exhaust muffler (out of shot).

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bertye wrote:If it is back to front, why is the writing on the clamp and bolt the correct way round? It also has the left hand link in the heading.
He's saying it's the left hand link pipe... Last time I was looking at the left hand exhaust on any one of the four I have parked in the MacCave the pipe went the other way...

In that pic the pipe runs from the right & dissapears out of the left of the frame...Surely it should be the other way...left to the right...

Either that or the pic is upside down... :lol: :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

mac, its your eyes......... it is the LH pipe, just from close behind, before you get the 90deg bend.

if your link pipe is slightly our of round because it has been over clamped it will not go on all the way. you could try opening it up with a big socket and a hammer.

but on my race cans I cant get that joint to fully close and still have the pipes balanced whe you look from the back, so I run it with the same gap you have and there is no problem.

also I stopped using the mounting bolts under the pegs a while ago [viper link pipes didn't have the mount fitted, and now I have rearsets that don't have mounts], and when I put the std cans on for a track day, I did slightly move that lug on the pipe to make it easier to fit.
AMcQ