Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by sirch345 »

Good work with the top yoke (apart from trying to smoke yourself out of the workshop that is :wink: ) and the number boards :clap:
You can lose hours with jobs like that with only a small amount to show for it, but need to be done :)

Well done to your Dad turning up with a half decent camera 8) good man,

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Cheers Chris, thanks. Here we go pictures ahoy :thumbup:

Today I've been busy doing something nobody likes including me, it's the exhaust side number board. It's a requirement for AMA flat track racing & most pictures of old flat trackers adorn them. Now I know that I or it ain't going anywere near a flat track circuit (maybe Anglesey though ) so there's really no need to do this.

But, since I've been playing with the front & carb side boards it was next on the list of things to do. So for the "look" the correct board sizes are 12" x 12" front & non exhaust side. The exhaust side width is also 12" but can be between 10" to 12" deep. I've been studying many pictures & it seems that many show bikes are a lot smaller & I think the reason is because they look better than the required size for racing.

Here is what I've done, I made a cardboard template & started plasma cutting it out & welding yesterday before the camera arrived :thumbup:

These will have to be fitted for road/track use but that'll happen later..

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Not straight forward the exhaust side number board that's for sure.
Keep up the good work :clap:

Thanks for posting the pic's 8)

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Amazing workmanship, if I had 1/8th of your skill I would be happy
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Cheers guys

Right then, I've been at it again today. I'm not too sure that I should say this (too many beers maybe..) but when I get an idea in my head, even if I don't like it, I run with it. This number board/sheild is a prime example.

I think It'll work but maybe it looks as if I'm/it's trying too hard to make the bike look older than it is. The thing is though, that exhaust gets freakin hot & something needs to be done so it can be ridden in moderate comfort.

At the moment this is the best I can come up with. Here's phase two, but bear in mind the whole thing might get scrapped

After setting it up in the vice, I was going to tack it up till I realised the protective film was still on the new piece, time too call it a day.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Is that one of them undies-heat exhausts I've heard about?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

I think he is going vegan.....it's a nut roaster!!!!
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I'm not too happy with the exhaust shield either, so I've walked away & I'll give it a day or two break. So another job was found & that was the fitting of a fuel pump.

I was originally going to go gravity feed, but after reading stories about fuel starvation especially at high revs I purchased an Airtex 12v Low-Pressure Fuel Pump. They're recommend for Weber Dcoe carbs, but it's quite large when the filter is screwed on inline.

I've also ordered some 90° 1/8" nptf bends from china... only place I could find them on ebay, £3.89 for 3. These will be fastened either side of the pump making the pump & filter unit shorter & they'll allow me to use the supplied filter & pipe fittings.

Here's a quick mockup of where I think the pumps going to live.

You can't see it, but there's a small stainless bracket bolted to the old ignition coil mounting points & the pump hangs/bolted to it. I think it looks ok.

When the 90° bends are fitted to the pump they'll face rearwards & I'll spin the fuel tap around so they should line up'ish.

Again, the carb fuel banjo will also be spun 180° & hopefully that will be facing the pump outlet spigot.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:10 am I'm not too happy with the exhaust shield either, so I've walked away & I'll give it a day or two break. So another job was found & that was the fitting of a fuel pump.
It's a job to tell exactly how it looks in the photo's, but my guess is it will take a different look once it has the painted number board on it,

Chris.
Japcati

Post by Japcati »

Fantastic build indeed.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

loving this bike more every time i see it :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Cheers guys, I'm still in should I shouldn't I about the guard but I did a little more on it yesterday.

I've also been talking about adhesive foil/fibre sheets that would help heat issues, quite expensive though. Has anyone got experience using the stuff?

I had a quick look on ebay, but because I've not seen the stuff up close (in a touchy feely way) I've nothing to compare it to.
Also, because I'm a firm believer that not that much gets made here (uk) anymore I've been looking at the cheaper Chinese stuff on ebay.

I've also been searching for cheap Tygon tube, 10mm id to replace the rear master Reservoir. Not too keen on paying close to a quid an inch.. I'm not really ready for either yet, but I now know what direction to go in.

I've attacked the guard again, just to see where it goes, here's some pictures.

I feel a bit better about the ally welding now I've increased the argon.. All I need to do now is get a grip of fitting the wrap :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:41 am
It looks better with the number and backing wrap on it. I like the protective black edging you have fitted :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Where are you getting your sheet metal from? Local or interweb?

It's starting to take shape now and looks like a tracker. Home straight or still a ways off?
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:10 am
Varastorm wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:41 am
It looks better with the number and backing wrap on it. I like the protective black edging you have fitted :thumbup:

Chris.
Thanks Chris, as you more than likely know the boards should be white with black numbers & it disappoints my mate so much I've carried it on to all three. I know the exhaust cover looks wrong but I feel that without it & the number boards it looks like a street fighter. So to me it's like a flat tracker's fairing. I just wish I was better making it.
freeridenick wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:10 pm Where are you getting your sheet metal from? Local or interweb?
I've had the sheet ally locally (Mona F&T) from way back Nick see below. It's soft & easy to form & tbh I've forgottem how much it was. I've ran out so I'll be going back soon & will update :thumbup:

( http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... eb#p465607 )
freeridenick wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:10 pm It's starting to take shape now and looks like a tracker. Home straight or still a ways off?
Thanks Nick, I'm on a run atm but it feels like wack a mole, I was at it again yesterday & today. They're mainly small jobs but there's loads of them.

Just to give you an insight into a small job, the fuel system. I'm waiting on arrival of 90° Chinese fuel unions to connect up the fuel filter & lines. Fitting those will allow me to see if there's enough room for the ignition barrel in that area as well. If there is, I'll be using the pump bracket to support the ignition barrel as well. If there's loads of room I'd like to fit a fuel pump toggle switch next to the barrel too. Propper faff.