a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:28 pm I've said it before but I'm convinced your 200 mains are too big. There has to be several overlapping problems that are causing the poor running everywhere except WOT (rich) and the mega lean front pot condition you found. That must be the blocked carbs. Drop the main jet sizes and lean off the needle, one change at a time, and see what happens.
the 200 mains are long gone, they were in the carbs the mori engine used,,

since them everythings been changed.

so for todays runs, and it ended up lots and lots of runs :eek2 . its got the 12k bog stock motor and the matching carbs from that bike along with its loom and ecu. under the blue skin and frame its a standard storm with carbs? yet it feels like the mori engine the way it was missing, its not backfiring like it did but you couldnt ride the thing the way it is..

its had runs right across the rev and throttle ranges and to be honest on a graph it doesnt look bad, but its the slowest thing on two wheels iv ridden in 30 years. id honestly like somebody else to ride it just to let them see how bad it is...

this motor just as before has had i think 4 sets of carbs from standard setup to the ones i had on the mori and everything in between jetting wise. im stumped and its near causing a fecking divorce here in the house so i need it away from near me :thumbup: :thumbup: but how do i do that?

for sale, a bike that doesnt go?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:00 pm
freeridenick wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:28 pm I've said it before but I'm convinced your 200 mains are too big. There has to be several overlapping problems that are causing the poor running everywhere except WOT (rich) and the mega lean front pot condition you found. That must be the blocked carbs. Drop the main jet sizes and lean off the needle, one change at a time, and see what happens.
the 200 mains are long gone, they were in the carbs the mori engine used,,

since them everythings been changed.

so for todays runs, and it ended up lots and lots of runs :eek2 . its got the 12k bog stock motor and the matching carbs from that bike along with its loom and ecu. under the blue skin and frame its a standard storm with carbs? yet it feels like the mori engine the way it was missing, its not backfiring like it did but you couldnt ride the thing the way it is..

its had runs right across the rev and throttle ranges and to be honest on a graph it doesnt look bad, but its the slowest thing on two wheels iv ridden in 30 years. id honestly like somebody else to ride it just to let them see how bad it is...

this motor just as before has had i think 4 sets of carbs from standard setup to the ones i had on the mori and everything in between jetting wise. im stumped and its near causing a fecking divorce here in the house so i need it away from near me :thumbup: :thumbup: but how do i do that?

for sale, a bike that doesnt go?
How frustrating, I was really hoping today luck would have been on your side and you would have found something from the dyno runs that's causing your bikes symptoms,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

im afraid chris iv run outa ideas, in fact ideas from everybody has been tried, other than change the tyres and i cant really see that changing much :clap: :clap:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 pm im afraid chris iv run outa ideas, in fact ideas from everybody has been tried, other than change the tyres and i cant really see that changing much :clap: :clap:
Fuel tap? Can be faulty on both tanks. I would try to fit fuel pump and adjust carbs accordingly. Choke needle is also prone to break easily when you fiddle with carbs.

Seriously, you need someone else to look on carbs and fuel lines, i was there too.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Stephan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:01 am
fabiostar wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 pm im afraid chris iv run outa ideas, in fact ideas from everybody has been tried, other than change the tyres and i cant really see that changing much :clap: :clap:
Fuel tap? Can be faulty on both tanks. I would try to fit fuel pump and adjust carbs accordingly. Choke needle is also prone to break easily when you fiddle with carbs.

Seriously, you need someone else to look on carbs and fuel lines, i was there too.
iv had everybody i know look at this bike Stephen... fuel tap wise iv had 4 different petrol tanks from bikes i know are running perfect, iv also had my tank on other bikes and they ran fine :eek2 .

chokes iv had i think 3 different sets on 4 sets of carbs!!!!

fuel lines iv had 4 different sets of those aswell.. its actually impossible what is happening here with this..

iv another shot at it shortly, iv another set of carbs im getting the lend of, lifted from a bike thats never been touched with standard jetting and settings that im gona try one last time, that will 100% rule out the fuelling as a problem along with different pipes so it will be a totally standard storm under the frame, if that doesnt give me a base line god knows what will.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

understand, sorry for that
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

fabiostar wrote:im afraid chris iv run outa ideas, in fact ideas from everybody has been tried, other than change the tyres and i cant really see that changing much :clap: :clap:
Have you tried changing the tyres ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lol guys its a bummer full stop...

i dont want to get this going anymore to enjoy riding it again, i think those days are past :clap: . i just wana have it running so i can say i beat it, what happens to it if and when it goes i havent decided yet.. :redface
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Not sure if we've been down this road before but, here goes: are you running a stock airbox lid (with snorkel)? If yes, is the plastic shelf that sits over the front cylinder in place and intact? During a prior OCMD moment (before adopting the FIL mod), I tried opening up a hole in said shelf (the idea being to let more air in and let the engine breathe better). The result was a bunch of surging and irregular running at normal highway speeds. I patched up the hole and everything came back to normal.

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

What if it's electrical?
I know you have changed loads of components and even the loom but what if it's an earth braking down with either vibration or load.
Have you cleaned all the chassis earth points? This all started when you had the tank worked on and repainted if I remember rightly.
it might be worth running some earth wires to all the major components and scraping all the chassis contacts with a bit of emery cloth.
If it was an SP I would have suggested the ignitor box, does a storm have one?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Kind of why I have suggested trying a different exhaust..... not that it makes sense but seems like the only bit that has been the same through all the troubles.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Talking about exhaust I suggest you try the following.....

:lol: :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv been through all of the above i think :eek2 :eek2 ..iv just realised its been 7 months of this sh1t and iv so much other stuff thats been put on the back burner because of it.

when these untouched carbs arrive il get around ro putting them on, check the earths on the frame, iv already run extra earths on the rec,coils etc ,

the shield thing that sits under the tank ,this bikes never had one fitted since iv owned it tho a few months ago i did try one on it but didnt change it :thumbup: ..

i just no longer have the energy or desire to get this thing sorted, il keep checking to make sure its in the mancave and hasnt disappeared ,mores the pity lol...

for now iv a list on a roll of wall paper of things about the house needing done :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 and that sexy Italian supermoto is taking up a lot of my time these days :clap: :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I keep thinking about this odd situation, like what the feck can it be :crazy:

Something has to be happening out on the road, but not happening when it's on the Dyno, that seems about it to me.

So what's changing when out on the road :?: Is there some wiring moving about which is now causing an issue, are the two black boxes fixed in place securely, are the ignition coils fixed in place, is there something happening to the air flow to the carbs as in something moving about blocking off some of it at speed :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: An earth issue as Pete suggests must be worth another check.

Then Mike's suggestion about the exhaust :eh: If not the end cans may be the bike now with the standard engine, it would work better with standard headers :?:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

what seems odd also is that it (IIRC) starts a little while after heading out (ie. when heading out on a cold engine), as in when the engine begins to get heat in it. What could be affected by heat that could cause it to go south?

- brainstormed possible causes: valve clearances, thermostat, airlock in cooling system, coils, stator, rectifier,...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express