VFR750/Storm crossbreed race bike project.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
tevie54

Re: VFR750/Storm crossbreed race bike project.

Post by tevie54 »

Excellent, thank you very much, mine's the earlier VFR with the 16" and 18" wheels so this conversion should be even more dramatic.
Much appreciated.
popkat

Post by popkat »

tevie54 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:14 pm Excellent, thank you very much, mine's the earlier VFR with the 16" and 18" wheels so this conversion should be even more dramatic.
Much appreciated.
No it won't for the 88/89 they increased fork diameter to 41mm, increased front wheel size to 17" and reduced rear wheel size to 17" But they didn't alter the geometry of the bike, this means the earlier model like yours has sharper more steering and the 88/89 model was slower steering, this was very noticeable, great on long sweepers but not at all flickable. As for converting the front end, once you have removed the suspension the frame is the same.. If your one is the very first model (FG) then your in luck as you have the best rear shock linkage for a conversion. The FH/FJ/F K models all shared a different geometry/ratio linkage, also the FG model has a different spring rate for the rear shock. when you set it up you will be needing to raise the rear of the bike with the early linkage and shock length (a ride height adjustable shock is best here).

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tevie54

Post by tevie54 »

Did you have any problems centralising the rear wheel, I've followed what you did and although the wheel looks central when looked at from behind it doesn't sit equally on either side of the swinging arm, there's a 3mm captive spacer on the left side of the wheel so the wheel can't move any further over to the left unless I skim the spacer down a bit more but then the sprocket gets closer to the swinging arm, is that alright? Is that why you went for the RC30 front sprocket because of the offset?
popkat

Post by popkat »

tevie54 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:35 pm Did you have any problems centralising the rear wheel, I've followed what you did and although the wheel looks central when looked at from behind it doesn't sit equally on either side of the swinging arm, there's a 3mm captive spacer on the left side of the wheel so the wheel can't move any further over to the left unless I skim the spacer down a bit more but then the sprocket gets closer to the swinging arm, is that alright? Is that why you went for the RC30 front sprocket because of the offset?

I think the swingarm isn't equal both sides anyway, I measure the standard wheel each side to the swingarm, then measured the original wheel and the VTR wheel widths, this meant I could work out the difference, The RC30 Sprocket is offset, yes the rear sprocket is closer to the swingarm, hence the rear sprocket studs are replaced with bolts and sprung washers. Alignment was done with straight edges to line with the front wheel and was pretty much spot on first time. also I measured the Standard rear sprocket to the swingarm, then worked out where it should be based on the front sprocket offset.

Here's an idea, I'm selling my bike now, you could buy it and all the work is done :lol:

I am happy to help where I can so you get all sorted :thumbup:

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tevie54

Post by tevie54 »

That's very tempting but I'm kind of in the middle of mine now, you've reassured me now and I can carry on with the conversion, I really appreciate the help you've given me
tevie54

Post by tevie54 »

The problem now is the chain rubbing on the tyre, the chain and sprockets are fairly new so I didn't want to change to a 520 pitch as it's going to be used as a road bike. I can get an RC30 front sprocket in 525 pitch but I don't know if that will work with the 530 chain. Spacing the rear sprocket isn't too much of a problem and I could modify a standard front VFR sprocket to give more offset (I'm a welder and engineer) How much clearance did you have between the chain and tyre?
popkat

Post by popkat »

Some tyres are wider than others, I find using Pirelli or Metzeler you get more clearance.. I believe 525 and 530 are the same width so you won't gain anything. If you get the rc30 front sprocket and then space it will have to slightly grind a nub on the sprocket cover for clearance I think, the nub is handy though as it stops the bolts from coming out if for any reason it was to come loose.

tevie54

Post by tevie54 »

Okay that's very interesting, thank you for the information, I'm currently attempting to fit an underslung rear caliper, simply because they look cool.
After that I'm going to fabricate a left hand exit exhaust, I'll try and upload some photos when it's done.