Cush drive rubbers

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
john306

Cush drive rubbers

Post by john306 »

While I got the rear wheel off and changing all the bearings I wondered how much(if any) play is acceptable in the cush drive rubbers? I've got about 2 to 3mm play while I'm turning the sprocket, the rubbers themselves look ok except the little tags holding the 2 together no longer do. I've read up on packing them out with plastic/rubber strips, which I'd rather not do but DS Prices @£50 seems excessive, eBay down to £18 but are they any good?
I can't see any info apart from change them if they are worn. But what's worn, I don't find any snatch through the gears, but while I'm in there should I just bite the bullet anyway?
Cheers
simo

Re: Cush drive rubbers

Post by simo »

It's your choice. I've always packed mine with a strip of rubber,but never put it on the drive side of the segment. Works for me.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

No idea what the play is supposed to be be the £18 eBay ones work just fine.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
john306

Post by john306 »

Thanks both.

I'm erring on the side of leave them at the moment as I'm assuming 2mm play ain't bad ... I've already spent £££££s over the last few weeks so my wallet needs a rest :D
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cut a bit of old inner tube and use that. put these on the non drive side. seal them in with a bit of silicone, small dab just to hold etc.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

These fixes help reduces the movement and are a good temporary fix when times are tough and will indeed get you through an MOT but you will find that the rubber gets hard over time. You can buy new cush rubbers for £20 and they do make a difference being nice and soft....well, softer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR-100 ... Swd0BVu-DF
==============================Enter the Darkside
john306

Post by john306 »

Cheers for replies.
I'd like to know the acceptable play (if there is any) in the rubbers before I either renew/bodge :D
I'm assuming there will always be some very slight movement.
Anyone fitted brand new rubbers and tested the play?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As a temporary repair, somebody on here gave us a tip on using an old ice-cream container. Just cut out some pieces from the container and side them in just like shims besides the cush drive rubbers to take out the slack.

There shouldn't be any play with brand new original OEM Honda cush drive rubbers,

Chris.
john306

Post by john306 »

Thanks Chris.
Once I put it all back together next week(just waiting for bearing/dust seal kit), I might try the shim idea, I can always go from there.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I change mine every 2 years when changing the filter. I find you get a lot of play after this period, and I believe changing or packing them regularly would save your chain, mine has 25k already on it with a scottoiler.
john306

Post by john306 »

bazza696 wrote:I change mine every 2 years when changing the filter. I find you get a lot of play after this period, and I believe changing or packing them regularly would save your chain, mine has 25k already on it with a scottoiler.
Do you buy the OEM Honda ones or copies, if copies how do you find them?
Cheers
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

john306 wrote:
bazza696 wrote:I change mine every 2 years when changing the filter. I find you get a lot of play after this period, and I believe changing or packing them regularly would save your chain, mine has 25k already on it with a scottoiler.
Do you buy the OEM Honda ones or copies, if copies how do you find them?
Cheers
Buy OEM if I can, a bit of a false economy otherwise