K&N questions

General Bike chat
mik_str

K&N questions

Post by mik_str »

I own a 1999 Firestorm which is basically stock engine-wise. I was looking at the possibly of adding a set of slip-ons but recently learned that police forces here in Quebec, Canada, are apparently set to begin doing decibel checks of bikes (thank you all you lovely Harley types!!!!) so I think I may hold off on this until I see how things develop. In the interim, I am seeking a little boost in performance and so will be dropping the gearing slightly by going to a 43 teeth rear sprocket. I was wondering if switching to a K&N air filter would provide me with a slight gain in power (hoping for something in the mid-range if possible)? If so, would any jetting changes be required (shimming needles?). Thanks in advance.

Micky
Johnny Wishbone

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

Afternoon Micky - in order to get any real gain from a K&N you would really need to get a set of decent cans and re-jet as you'll be running lean. It's possible to get a set of 'road legal' race cans in the UK or you can buy some DB killers for your pipes.

JW
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
king of the damned

Post by king of the damned »

The big advantage of a K&N is that you can clean it. It costs low....
Bye.
eddievtr

Post by eddievtr »

Hi Micky

I went through the same thinking pattern you earlier this year. Here's what I found
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/phpBB2 ... php?t=3707
Ohlins shock, Goodridge lines, 6-pot calipers, carbon fibre hugger.....and all at someone else's expense!!