city bike service London E1

Best deals in town
agentpineapple

city bike service London E1

Post by agentpineapple »

http://www.citybikeservice.co.uk/
last year the guys running the bike garage across the road from my nan's called it a day and sold up. it was a shame as he used to do dyno runs for £15, he also took my bikes for mot's, he was a decent guy ad charged reasonable prices.
the new firm who took over his garage is City Bike Services, I popped my head in for the first time today. they seem a tad more professional.
they're cheaper for fitting tyres to loose wheels. £15 a wheel/tyre. that's about as cheap as you'll find in London, and £5 a wheel/tyre than the previous firm.
but mot's are more expensive. £50 same day mot, where the old firm (pole position was £35)
let's see how these guys stack up in the next few days.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Re: city bike service London E1

Post by Wicky »

but mot's are more expensive. £50 same day mot, where the old firm (pole position was £35)
Ouch! My local garage charges £20 and my last one was free cos I helped them move some heavy kit.

http://www.mot-a-bike.com > DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE FOR NHS OR ARMED SERVICES
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Wicky wrote:
Ouch! My local garage charges £20 and my last one was free cos I helped them move some heavy kit.

http://www.mot-a-bike.com > DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE FOR NHS OR ARMED SERVICES
seen as I live in central London, i'm not with the nhs or armed forces, and I've not helped them move any heavy kit.... :roll:
i'll have to stump up the £50...... :(
part of the high price, is that they don't mot it, a member of staff has to ride it to the nearest mot stn, so your paying an extra £15 for their time. seen as the bike has no insurance atm, it's worth paying the extra and have them ride it on their insurance... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

agentpineapple wrote:.

Standard MOT set price is £29.50, how do thy get away with charging £50 8O

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

popkat wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:.

Standard MOT set price is £29.50, how do thy get away with charging £50 8O

London prices, and as I said one of their members of staff has to take the bike to the mot station which is 10 mins away, so it will work out the best part of an hour to complete the return journey and the mot. labour rates for a London garage are in excess of £50 an hour.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

Why would anyone take a bike to them for an mot when they can go 10 mins up the road themselves ??? don't make sense to me :confused

My average mot log on time is about 24 minutes so even at £50 labour rates the standard £29.65 is alright for them. mot slots are very cheap for them to buy they'll still be making good profit.

Seems like rip off London to me, if they can get away with robbery they will, glad I don't live up that way anymore.

Oficial MAXIMUM MOT fee for a bike is £29.65, no one should charge more for an MOT, if this place are taking it somewhere for you then I guess they have a right to charge for the traveling to and from.. I still wouldn't do it, let someone else take my bike when I'm capable of doing it myself.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

That is a tad steep, mine are £25. Depending on who I get it take anywhere from 15-25mins. 9 times out of 10 I'll help them with the lights, wheels, steering and inline check.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

There's a firm in Hertford who do mine at £20 a pop, if you fancy a ride mate.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

popkat wrote:Why would anyone take a bike to them for an mot when they can go 10 mins up the road themselves ??? don't make sense to me :confused

My average mot log on time is about 24 minutes so even at £50 labour rates the standard £29.65 is alright for them. mot slots are very cheap for them to buy they'll still be making good profit.

Seems like rip off London to me, if they can get away with robbery they will, glad I don't live up that way anymore.

Oficial MAXIMUM MOT fee for a bike is £29.65, no one should charge more for an MOT, if this place are taking it somewhere for you then I guess they have a right to charge for the traveling to and from.. I still wouldn't do it, let someone else take my bike when I'm capable of doing it myself.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

partly down to the time is money theory malc, matey commutes in on a scooter or bike, matey drops bike at garage near work and collects it on his way home, it's cost him minimal time and effort, the trade off is cost. but that's because people in London are always in a rush and they'll pay for convenience.
as for me, I have no insurance on the bike atm, so I can push the bike 100yds to the bike garage and let them take the bike for it's mot on their insurance. I hope that makes sense.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If it's not insured for the road then why not get it MOTed at a later date when you are insured? :confused
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Wicky wrote:If it's not insured for the road then why not get it MOTed at a later date when you are insured? :confused
because it's for sale. are you less confused now...... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

agentpineapple wrote:
Wicky wrote:If it's not insured for the road then why not get it MOTed at a later date when you are insured? :confused
because it's for sale. are you less confused now...... :wink:
Hmm £50 they taking the RIP.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That was my first thought too. At that price I would expect them to pay for the fuel. 8O
==============================Enter the Darkside
chric

Post by chric »

15 quid up north
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

as we all know London is the center of the known universe, and as such those of us that reside here pay through the nose for almost everything..... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!