Goodbye from rectifier

General Bike chat
VTRid3r

Goodbye from rectifier

Post by VTRid3r »

Hello guys. 1st time here. Not been on a forum for years. Glad I found you. Recently bought a 2000 Firestorm. Last month actually and what a lovely fun ride she is. Plenty of power there and torque (not as much as my previous Tuono Factory) but still lots of fun. 17k on the clock and not in bad nick for her age. A nice 300 mile trip home on day of purchase which was a little achy towards the end as I havn't jumped on a bike in 6 yrs. New boots on her a week later with a nice fat 190 on the rear. Lovely. A little 25 mile run to help bed them in and she has been layed up since :(
On returning home I found the battery venting and red hot. Oh dear. Lots of research and a few tests and a new rectifier should be here Monday. Rectifier diodes tested ok but maybe something else is up with it. Wirring looks ok. Cooked battery still had full charge but not man enough to start her so new battery it is too. Going for a 20ah this time I think. 10ah is a little low for her. Hope this sorts her out cos I'm itching to get back on her. If it's not the problem I'm baffled!! Thanks for reading and glad I found u all. Happy riding!! :)
Last edited by VTRid3r on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTRid3r

Re: Goodbye from rectifier

Post by VTRid3r »

New rectifiers just turned up :) so it's going on in a little while :)
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Next job will be the manual cct's.Most important.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

it normally seems to be the rectifier . what sort of cam chain tensioners does it have ? ?

Alan beat me to it by 1 minute !!
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Make sure the wiring and connectors in the charging system are all clean and tight. Look for signs of burning on the R/R connector.

As you've discovered ..

Hopefully you've ordered a decent finned replacement and not some cheap Chinese replacement - better still a Mosfet R/R

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/kn ... how-25117/

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ty#p351482

and have a good gander though this > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

Sorry if a little naive but as for cct's and cam chain tensioners I havnt' got a clue. Not totally mechanically minded but I can do a few bits. Looking at posts on here with total strip downs hats off to them. Wish I could do that. All the wiring looks good with no burnt out spots. Fuses all good. Just put new rectifier on (the newer type with cooling fins) unlike the one I took off as pictured above. How on earth do they expect them to keep cool I don't know. Just started raining here but battery is topping up on charger so when thats finished I will put it on bike and try it. Ran for 5 mins with jump a couple of days ago and the battery went up to 16.5 on idle. Not good. Will test in a bit and post results with new rectifier on.
Thanks for your replies.

Yeah I know I'm a dumbass!! cct's Cam chain tensioners, same thing lol.
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

Update:
Ok, so whilst trying to dodge the rain I managed to get the rectifier on and top up the battery to fully charged. Reading 14.8v. I put the battery on the bike along with the new rectifier and wldnt start. Just turned a bit. Turned it off, left it for a min and then tried again. Bingo!! it fired up. Kept it running for 10 mins and kept an eye of the battery voltage to see if the rectifier was doing its job and it stayed at a contant 14.64 14.70v. Rectifier is doing it's job. Got a little hot but I think thats the nature of the beast. Turned off ig and tried to restart and no go. Just turning. Think 1 of the cells in the battery may be damaged from the overcook from the previous rectifier. Although the bat is fully charge testing 13.6v after run with ig off it may not be substantial enough and the starter is draining it quickly trying to start it. New battery in a couple of weeks. Gta get holibobs out the way 1st.
If anyone thinks it maybe something else or a dodgy starter motor your opinions will be very welcome.
Thanks. :)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the rectifier will take the battery with it when it fails....... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

Where in Cornwall are you, if not too far from N Devon (Bideford) then I may be able to help if you get stuck, also I can sort your cct's for you if you wanted.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

popkat wrote:Where in Cornwall are you, if not too far from N Devon (Bideford) then I may be able to help if you get stuck, also I can sort your cct's for you if you wanted.

Thanks. If I get stuck I'll let u know. Only down in Bodders so not too far from u :)