fan test

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bazzashadow

fan test

Post by bazzashadow »

is there a test I can do to see if my fan is cutting in(working) at the right temperature
thanks
AMCQ46

Re: fan test

Post by AMCQ46 »

Short circuit the temp switch to be sure fan is working, if it isn't check the fuse (replace it, don't just look at it!!!! Don't ask me why I say that :lol: )

If fan is working then test the temp switch in boiling water
AMcQ
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Just to expand on AMCQ's post, at the back of the RHS radiator you'll see an electrical spade connector. If you pull off the female, and then connect a wire from that to the frame, then switch on the ignition, the fan should come on. Basically the positive feed to the motor is always live, and the temperature switch just completes the circuit to ground.

It's worth checking by hand that the fan blade turns freely, not unusual for some flying debris to wedge between the blade and shroud and stop it, which will then cause the fuse to pop. I found on my bike that a misrouted hose was squeezing the shroud onto the blade and causing the same bother.

The temperature that the fan switches should be around 100C, on my non-digital temp gauge that is right around the 6 o'clock point.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

cheers for your help
It was just I can`t remember mine ever coming on :oops:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

bazzashadow wrote:cheers for your help
It was just I can`t remember mine ever coming on :oops:
That depends on your riding conditions. If you're moving then there's usually enough airflow to keep things cool. Stop-start traffic on the other hand should get the bike up to 100C fairly easily. It takes quite a surprisingly long time idling in the driveway to get up to the same level.

Loud cans will also drown out any fan noise. :D
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

Loud cans will also drown out any fan noise. :D[/quote]

:D :D :shh: :D :D :D
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Am starting to think my fan's got a problem- Don't think it's come on recently despite the (non digital) temp gauge getting a touch past 6 O'clock in stop start traffic on a warm day. I ended up switching off every time I stopped just in case. Also, at Grainstorm I found the coolant reservoir was empty, which makes me suspect a bit of overheating & boiling off as I haven't noticed any leaks. It certainly used to come on. Anyways, this thread seems to contain the clues I need to check it out, so thanks.
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

False alarm- Commuted to work today & when I parked up this eve the fan came on. But now it's only working on one side :lol: :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Maybe it has SP 1 syndrome. They only had one fan;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pete.L wrote:Maybe it has SP 1 syndrome. They only had one fan;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Joey.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.