Handlebar conversions

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
lockwood1956

Handlebar conversions

Post by lockwood1956 »

I am currently carrying a back injury (some end of a bell ran into the back of me while I was stationary in a queue of traffic) which is making the riding position very uncomfortable, I have a handlebar conversion kit which I will fit at the weekend to see if this helps.

I was at squires cafe at the weekend and got chatting to a guy who had turned his original bars upside down!

He had to do a little tweaking but it looked like it worked, and he let me sit on it and it did make a big difference. Thought I would share a pic of it here for discussion/comment

My back pain is casing me to have to think about a different ride, but loving the v twin I would like to attempt a tweak, to see if I can sort it, failing that a Varadero may be in my future?
If at first you don't succeed.....sky diving isn't for you!

http://www.facebook.com/bob.morton.125
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Handlebar conversions

Post by sirch345 »

Good man for sharing that :thumbup:
IIRC there was a guy on the Superhawk forum who did that, either that or somebody posted a photo like yourself.

From what I remember the bars looked up a lot more than they appear to be in your photo, may be it's due to the angle your photo was taken at,

Chris.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I will have to check this out test time i have one in bits
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

And he didn't have to do any cutting either?

I have a back and shoulder injury and would love something that actually worked without cutting.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

looks dead on that. failing that go to a top yoke straight bar conversion or vfr800 bars.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

sirch345 wrote: From what I remember the bars looked up a lot more than they appear to in your photo, may be it's due to the angle your photo was taken at,
You might be right about the photo angle, they were a little more "up" than they look, but it didn't really look out of place

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

I intend tackling the handlebar conversion on Saturday ( after I meet a guy at squires at 9.30 to buy a baglux tank bag from him)

Anyone at squires Saturday morning?

adyf

Post by adyf »

Hi buddy yeah I'll come over to squires for a coffee about 9.30 , be good to catch up , ady.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lockwood1956 wrote:
sirch345 wrote: From what I remember the bars looked up a lot more than they appear to be in your photo, may be it's due to the angle your photo was taken at,
You might be right about the photo angle, they were a little more "up" than they look, but it didn't really look out of place
Even so, they can't be that bad if you thought they seemed okay from sitting on the bike, at least another option for you anyway. Please do keep us posted on the bar conversion at the weekend :thumbup:

Chris.
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

adyf wrote:Hi buddy yeah I'll come over to squires for a coffee about 9.30 , be good to catch up , ady.
Excellent

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

lockwood1956 wrote:
adyf wrote:Hi buddy yeah I'll come over to squires for a coffee about 9.30 , be good to catch up , ady.
Excellent
Yeah I'll head down too on kermit, that has flat bar conversion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
budd

Post by budd »

I think playing with the orientation of stock bars is only really a short term solution, I’ve tried various configurations of OE and aftermarket clip-ons on the Aprilia to try and relieve the back / wrist aches the racy butt up head down riding position puts you in and while I’ve improved it a little my old broken body still isn’t totally happy so I’ve decided to go the whole hog and do a proper flat bar conversion. Following Alistair on a couple of occasions last year I was deeply envious of his bar set up it just looked so comfortable while mine was just the opposite. So I’ve just ordered a CNC top yoke (Cool ‘N ‘Comfy) from topyokes.com some Renthals, grips, and bar end weights from intobikes.com, total cost is in the region of £180 which I didn’t was too bad, and will certainly be a bargain if it improves the riding position as much as I’m hoping. The good news for Storm owners is CNC have special offer on the Firestorm top yoke it’s currently £99 plus VAT which is a worthwhile saving of £25 over their regular price.

http://www.topyokes.uk/honda-vtr-firest ... lebar-kit/

I know CNC have had some bad press mainly relating to poor delivery / customer service but I think generally the actual product is excellent, I spoke to them yesterday and they were very helpful so, so far so good, I’m expecting the yokes in the next couple of days so I’ll report back on quality.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

Miztaziggy wrote:Yeah I'll head down too on kermit, that has flat bar conversion
Excellent again :D

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

This is the bar conversion kit I have. I have a set of Renthal flat bars and a set of 1.5 inch rise bars, will see how we go.....

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

I think if I go the flat bar conversion the standard brake hoses will fit

However I was thinking of switching to braided hoses, how much extra length do we think I might need if I fit the 1.5 inch rise bars.

My back of a fag packet calculation thinks 3 inches longer would work (1.5 up and 1.5 left/right)

Thoughts everyone?
Last edited by lockwood1956 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.